Positioning quandry

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At a 5m scrum I'd always chose to move from watching the feed to being behind the defenders #8, essentially on the goal line. Keeping the defending backs honest is easy, prepared for open or blind move and am in-goal for the score.

What am I missing from there?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
defending s/half offside (in front of the ball)?

#8/#9 knock on at the base?

flankers and #8 bindings?

didds

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
At a 5m scrum I'd always chose to move from watching the feed to being behind the defenders #8, essentially on the goal line. Keeping the defending backs honest is easy, prepared for open or blind move and am in-goal for the score.

What am I missing from there?

You're not going to be in a good position to referee the next breakdown if a tackle is made.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
defending s/half offside (in front of the ball)?

#8/#9 knock on at the base? Very true but minor possibility.

flankers and #8 bindings? Good position to see defenders back row binding.

didds

Any thing else?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
You're not going to be in a good position to referee the next breakdown if a tackle is made.

I'll still be goalside and as close to the probable tackle unless it occurs directly behind the scrum (unlikely)

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If the 8 picks and drives, then the most likely point of attack is on the blindside. I would position from clean put in to behind the 8, and even past that towards the blindside. Watch for feet positioning and movement of 8 and 9, on toes anticipating a pick and go. There are too many possible attacking side offences to miss otherwise, as listed above. One other is interference by attacking 6 on 9, and from the opposite side you are going to be extremely lucky to judge the 7 unbinding legally as you won't know when the ball is picked or out. Also the attacking 8 unbinding and/or scrabbling with the defending 9.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I'll still be goalside and as close to the probable tackle unless it occurs directly behind the scrum (unlikely)

Why would you want to referee the next breakdown from behind defensive line? You'd lose the ball.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The issue, from the OP, is sighting the grounding from an 8 take. By starting goalside you have that vantage point. I agree with Jacko that if the BC takes contact and just sets the ball then being on the defensive side isn't the best place.

However, from an attacking 5m scrum any BC, 8 or otherwise, is seeking the goal line. So the view I want is from goal because that's where the critical action is.

Scrums & rucks further out? Different story.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
All Advisor's opinions are with hindsight- but they are worth considering.