Post Match Confrontation and Near Assault

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
This past weekend, U19 match at USA National Championships.

Gold has been dominant for most of the match, at one point holding a 19-3 lead over Blue. Discipline by Gold very poor, bad language, taunting, late tackles etc. Gold received a yellow card in both halves of play.

Blue keep their composure and work their way back into the match, and with time close to running out they have a put in to a scrum inside their own 22. As I am setting the scrum the Gold loosehead looks at his opponent and states "I'm going to break your F***ing jaw".

I award a penalty, and the blue scrumhalf gets my attention and takes a quick tap. His team manage to break away, and run in a try with some excellent running for over 80 meters. The score is then 19-18, and the kicker calmly slots the conversion to take the win, and thereby earn the 3rd place finish in the Championship.

After I blow the whistle the Gold captain comes over and asks me for the score, I tell him, and I am surrounded by a few of his players and mildly "chest bumped" by one of them. The captain, to his credit, controls his own disappointment and controls his own players, allowing me to back away.

After backing away from the players I am instantly accosted by a father/uncle/grandfather of one of the players, who is literally foaming at the mouth as he screams at me and marches towards me in a menacing fashion. I firmly inform him that he needs to walk away. He is joined by a few others who are shouting all manner of abuse.

Fortunately I had a team of three, so I had two excellent AR's who got involved. Additionally I had many other referees, AR's and USA Rugby personnel on hand, so the two teams were separated (they had begun shouting at each other too), and distance was placed between the Gold team's people, and myself.

When we walked over to get into our van we were all subjected to a continuation of the abuse from the Gold team, the only respite was when the coach approached me to shake my hand, apologize for the conduct of his players (over which he has some influence) and the conduct of the "fans" (over whom he has limited control).

I am wondering how this will play out. The referee administrator for USA Rugby was right there, and she was furious about the whole thing.

Among the lovely things that were hurled at me were:

"you need to go back to school" (referee school I think?)
"I hope you earned your money today Ref" (I was not paid a match fee for this event)
"You must be glad you let those white boys win"

along with plenty of "you suck", and "f**k you" mixed in.

I discussed the whole thing with my evaluator, and I posed the open ended question about whether or not I should have stopped play to issue a red card to the prop. I think in many ways I should have done, but I was aware of the point of time in the game, and had I stopped play to do that then Gold would have had time to set up their defensive line, and Blue would likely not had a chance to attack.

All in all a really disappointing display from a team playing in the "Bronze medal" match at the National Championships.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
I think you played it right. The scrum half got your attention and was trying to win a game. If Gold is unhappy, they need to look inward and not say stupid stuff that gets them dumb penalties. They were winning. Why say something that stupid at the end of a match? I hope USA Rugby puts the hammer down on this team. No way should they be around next season. The kid that gave you the chest bump should get a one year band. These Islander teams revel in their warrior/ bad boy reputations and expect others to be intimidated. Were they a good team or were they simply used to having opponents cower andf give up?
Is there anything earlier in the match you could have done to prevent what happened at the end? It sounds like the team just insisted on behaving in that manner.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
One of those character building games eh!

Wonder why we bother sometimes don't you!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
All I know is that a certain other director of referees mentioned this as soon as we picked him up on Sunday, so I don't think this will be the last "you" hear of it.

I red carded a player at the weekend for violent conduct:norc:

ExHookah

Post Likes
This part, from after the U19 Final, was cool:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IUJa_SBdZxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IUJa_SBdZxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ExHookah

Post Likes
and prior to the Haka above, the team in Red (the Champions) had performed the Haka to their crowd. Note the father/coach of one of the players performing it right up in front of his son. It was a very cool moment to see the two of them sharing that experience together.

Note- the volume on this one is buggered, my friend shot it on his phone.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S0QPOSWFrPI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S0QPOSWFrPI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Are there a lot of Māori in those teams? :confused:

ExHookah

Post Likes
Yes, about 60-70% of them if I remember correctly from the last time I saw highlands.

Yes, Stu is correct. The Salt Lake City area is stacked full of Polynesians, and the coaching staff of both clubs are Poly's as well.

They do the Haka as a sign of respect, not for imitation.

Anyway, a slight sidetrack from me nearly being beaten into a lifeless pulp.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ex H - You need to have a friend with a video camera handy at your games so that perps can be identified afterwards and charges brought where necessary. The fact that any spectator altercation with the referee is being recorded might curb the excesses.

ExHookah

Post Likes
Ex H - You need to have a friend with a video camera handy at your games so that perps can be identified afterwards and charges brought where necessary. The fact that any spectator altercation with the referee is being recorded might curb the excesses.

Actually someone was making video of the matches, and the governing body is looking into obtaining copies of any footage they might have, assuming they continued recording after the final whistle.

Bottom line, the whole situation is utter, utter bullsh*t in my opinion, but I am working hard on not taking it personally. I went out and was AR for a fantastic Final a few hours later, and then was in the stands to watch the Club final afterwards. They broadcast the finals, and they had nearly six thousand people enter the stadium for those matches, and that is a big positive.

Thinking about it, and talking with DrStu, the bit that really pisses me off was the "I guess you are happy the white boys won" comment. That is an allegation that I am biased and racist.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Hookah dont let them get you down. Chin up you handled yourself well.

Actually while I have you here, did you come across a referee named Mike Kennedy. He is a former Munster referee who moved across to Florida and I think has made national panel in the U.S.

Im pretty sure he was refereeing at the National Club Championships too at the weekend.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Thinking about it, and talking with DrStu, the bit that really pisses me off was the "I guess you are happy the white boys won" comment. That is an allegation that I am biased and racist.

I have to agree. But, it isn't personal. They would have said that to anyone.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hookah dont let them get you down. Chin up you handled yourself well.

Actually while I have you here, did you come across a referee named Mike Kennedy. He is a former Munster referee who moved across to Florida and I think has made national panel in the U.S.

Im pretty sure he was refereeing at the National Club Championships too at the weekend.

Might have been in SC for the East as he wasn't out in Austin with me. Name and situation sounds familiar though.

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
More referees need to stand firm on the language and behavior and make it clear it does not have a place in the game, especially u19. It's really disappointing to hear this was a problem at the national tournament. I hope this wasn't how you have to end the season.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
At a Service Sevens competition recently I had a smart, well dressed individual (blazer, regimental tie, brothel creepers), a woopert I believe, approach me after one game. He explained that he was last year's captain, perhaps I remembered him?

Having got the pleasantries over with as we walked off the pitch, the tenor changed. He then launched into flowing criticism, bordering on questioning my integrity, of how I had repeatedly penalised his team for coming in at the side but had allowed the opposition to do it freely.

I was tired, it was my 11th game of the day, a semi final, I needed refreshment. I listened intently until he finished, smiled and said 'OK, I am glad that you enjoyed the game.'

He remained speechless as I walked away.

Sometimes, refusing to engage, the wan smile and apparent deafness wins. I am not there to win a popularity contest, or keep everybody happy all the time and if some are so vociferous in their ignorance that they exceed normal bounds of behaviour then I neither need to listen nor to speak with them.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

I think in your shoes I'd be equally hacked off about the "hope you earned your money today" remark. A clear inference that you'd been paid by the white boys to allow them the victory. Were I in your shoes, both these comments would be clearly referenced in my report of the incident.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I assume that you will be reporting this?

As others have said - teh alleged influence of £ ($) and racism is unacceptable.

Get back on the horse ASAP.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"I'm going to break your F***ing jaw".

I award a penalty,

I suggest this may have been heavy-handed. I (expect) I would have stood the scrum up, read riot act and started scrum again.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Dickie E

What's the point of reading the riot act in the final minute of a game - surely the riot act has been read well before - 2 YCs seem to testify to that.