Pre-Match Routine

RussRef

Referees in America
Post Likes
There are other threads about this, but with a new season coming in the US, the persistent problems of non-standard pitches, and a new engagement sequence, I'd appreciate suggestions on how I plan to handle pre-match discussions with both teams.

1. Inspect the pitch. More times than not, there are nonstandard markings, posts, etc. that need to be discussed with the teams.

2. Captain's meeting. Discuss nonstandard pitch and how we'll deal with it, coin toss, get input on when captains want team briefings. I tend to take a bit more time with this phase than with the full teams, since there's often more to talk about to avoid confusion later.

3. Team briefings (normally separate). Boot and equipment check, dismiss everybody but 1-3, 9, 10 and substitutes. Front-row briefing, answer normal 9 and 10 questions. Premium on getting this done quickly.

4. First part of this season only, I'm considering a few practice engagements with the 2 opposing front rows and 9s. Normally I'd shy away from this, but a) some of the teams won't have heard of the new engagement sequence, b) teams that have won't be clear on how I'll handle it, c) better to get it straight now than resetting 2-3 times at the first scrum, where there's also risk of injury. Any better ideas?

5. The new sequence seems to demand that the front rows line up somewhat closer to one another to allow the binding before "set." I think this is going to have two effects: a) unless they move their feet back after "set," they're not going to be as extended as before, and b) the hit will not be as violent. Any other words of wisdom from those who've reff'd the new sequence?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
here's the letter from usar and a link to the IRB site that shows management/pre match examples:

Scrum Engagement Process – Effective August 15, 2013

The International Rugby Board Council has announced the implementation of a global trial of the “crouch, bind, set” scrum engagement sequence, which is aimed at enhancing player welfare by reducing impact on engagement by up to 25 per cent in elite competition. Approval of the sequence on player welfare grounds, is coupled with a call for Game-wide commitment from law-makers, match officials, coaches and players to ensure a fair and positive attitude is applied to deal with scrum issues.

Implementation will begin at the start of the next season: All USA competitions commencing from/after August 15th, 2013.

Exception: This is not to be used in 7s until the National Club and All-Star Championships in August of 2013 have been completed.

In a revision of the 'crouch, touch, set' engagement sequence currently being trialed, props will be expected to bind using their outside arm after the referee has called "bind" in the sequence. Should this trial become incorporated into Law, the text for Law 20.1(g) and (i) would read:

20.1 Forming a Scrum
(g) The referee will call "crouch" and then "bind". The front rows crouch and using their outside arm each prop must bind. A loose head prop must bind on the opposing tight head prop by placing the left arm inside the right arm of the tight head and gripping the tight head prop’s jersey on the back or side. A tight head prop must bind on the opposing loosehead prop by placing the right arm outside the left upper arm of the opposing loose head prop and gripping the loose head prop’s jersey with the right hand only on the back or side. The props must not grip the opponent’s chest, arm, sleeve or collar. Following a pause, the referee will then call "set" when the front rows are ready. The front rows may then engage. The “set” call is not a command but an indication that the front rows may come together when ready. The sanction for any infringement will be a free kick.

The iRB has produced a training video that covers the entire process and possible issues that may occur: http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?domain=16&language=EN

REFEREE NOTES:
The sequence should be easy to implement, however, there will be an adjustment period for both referees and players:
Do not waste time at the scrum process by being pedantic - the new engagement sequence should reduce scrum time and scrum issues.
If the scrum is unsteady/moving upon engage, the scrumhalf should wait until the scrum is stationary before feeding the ball. Referees may, but are NOT required to tell the scrumhalf when to feed the ball and the scrumhalf need not wait for the referee’s indication to feed the ball. Referees are requested to not necessarily penalize a “too quick feed” and rather manage it initially.
Straight feeds are now required and referees should apply the LAW strictly.

REFEREE EXPERIENCE

The Mountain Summer League in the Eastern Rockies has been using this process since the beginning of June. Here are a few of the learning points they have gained from the experience:

· When engaging, props need to be reminded and taught not to pull their opponent into the engagement.

· With some scrums there is a slightly longer settling period before the scrum stabilizes. The referee has the option of delaying the throw-in if necessary to ensure the scrum is stable when the ball is thrown-in.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
RFU National Match Official Team referees have been instructed to free kick a "too early feed" ie before you have said "put it in". We will remind the 9 of this pre-game.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I sense a new American deviation gestating.

Do not waste time at the scrum process by being pedantic ... If the scrum is unsteady/moving upon engage, the scrumhalf should wait until the scrum is stationary before feeding the ball. Referees may, but are NOT required to tell the scrumhalf when to feed the ball and the scrumhalf need not wait for the referee’s indication to feed the ball. Referees are requested to not necessarily penalize a “too quick feed” and rather manage it initially.

Now, this doesn't give the message that the main point of the exercise is to depower the "hit" by insisting on a period of post-impact settlement to achieve a square, static and stable scrum before the ball goes in. A coach reading this may well spot an opportunity - tell his SH we will retain the Hit, put it in immediately and basically "manage" the ref. Make sure we have a nudge on before the ball goes in.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Now, this doesn't give the message that the main point of the exercise is to depower the "hit" by insisting on a period of post-impact settlement to achieve a square, static and stable scrum before the ball goes in. A coach reading this may well spot an opportunity - tell his SH we will retain the Hit, put it in immediately and basically "manage" the ref. Make sure we have a nudge on before the ball goes in.
If the referee is between the scrum half and the scrum?
FK for an early push?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I sense a new American deviation gestating.

well no - the Americans are completely following the IRB laws and guidance. It's the RFU that is deviating, with their 'put it in' command.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
If the referee is between the scrum half and the scrum?
FK for an early push?

The first would help, but is often an unattractive position due to shennanigans on the far side.

The second - well, if refs were prepared to PK an early shove, we wouldn't ever have heard of "not taking the hit", or seen International packs PK'd for collapsing after being driven yards backward before the ball went in!

RussRef

Referees in America
Post Likes
Of course I found the IRB training video after posting my questions. It raises another one, though: are we really going to tell the props not to alter their binds after "set"? Common sense and the training video suggest that we're going to see only short binds, which in my experience is where the mischief often starts.