Pre-Season Appointments.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Well, the new seasoned really be just around the corner.

Got my first pre-Season appointment today. 18th August at Reading. What's the betting it'll be 4 x 20 minutes sessions and it'll be warm :cool:

Let's hope they're both as well drilled as the team I've been pre-season training with ;)

Anybody else been appointed yet?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
............and will you be using the new laws?
Have they asked you to use them?
Have you checked if you are allowed to?
If you use "crouch, touch, set" will you be insured?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've volunteered to do 2x games for my club.

Both L9 v L8

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
............and will you be using the new laws? Have they asked you to use them? Have you checked if you are allowed to? If you use "crouch, touch, set" will you be insured?
I'll check again in the morning, but I thought the new laws became effective on 1st Aug ie a week today.

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
August 1st for WRU!
I believe the IRB said September 1st, however, unions could use them earlier if they wished to do so......

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
At or around the 1st Sept?

I have one on 11th and on 28th Aug. One CTPE? One CTS?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Check out what the premisership pre-season games do - Quinns play Castres on 9th August and London Welsh play Bath on the 11th August.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
August 1st for WRU! I believe the IRB said September 1st, however, unions could use them earlier if they wished to do so......
Thanks Taff426; I thought I was losing the plot. :biggrin: We had an e-mail from the WRU saying that for us the effective date is the 1st Aug. I notice that in Bryans link it says "Around 1st Sept". The 1st Aug makes sense - why would you play a few games under the old laws, only to change to the new laws in a few weeks? Far better to keep it simple - New season - new laws.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
these games are preparation for the new season.
surely common sense says: play the Laws that will be used in the new season. Otherwise they aren't much preparation

It's certainly a game where you'll want to spend a lot longer than normal on the pre-match brief though!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
3 so far.

18th L8 club v L7 ish uni side :drool:
23rd L7 v L7
28th L8 v L8 (160 mile round trip on BH weekend, grrrrrrrrrreat!)

Interested on peoples opinions on which laws to use, have to admit i thought it was 1st Aug, but if it is 1st Sept are we covered from an insurance POV :chin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
3 so far.

18th L8 club v L7 ish uni side :drool:
23rd L7 v L7
28th L8 v L8 (160 mile round trip on BH weekend, grrrrrrrrrreat!)

Interested on peoples opinions on which laws to use, have to admit i thought it was 1st Aug, but if it is 1st Sept are we covered from an insurance POV :chin:
Our referees have been instructed to use the new laws.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I'll definitely be using CTS for pre-season. As people have said, the whole point of them is to prepare for the coming season.

I'm at Wharfedale on 11th August for game against Stirling County. Will be weird going there and not having to worry about frost! Always enjoy going there - one of the most beautiful locations for a rugby club I've ever seen.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Many happy days at grassington, many of them on cold winter mornings too!

I'll definitely be using CTS for pre-season. As people have said, the whole point of them is to prepare for the coming season.

I'm at Wharfedale on 11th August for game against Stirling County. Will be weird going there and not having to worry about frost! Always enjoy going there - one of the most beautiful locations for a rugby club I've ever seen.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
New LATs should be used for pre-season matches, plus focus on The Big Five and make sure you enforce the Three Laws. That is what the Hampshire referees will be doing, and yes you are covreed by your RFU insurance !

1st September is the start of RFU League season, hence that date.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Sorry, I've read the "Big Five" but you lost me on the "Three Laws". :chin:

Look here at bottom of page

Enforcement of current Law, June 2012

At a meeting in May 2012, the Laws Representation Group (LRG) considered the areas of the Game where, it had been agreed by the LRG/Rugby Committee/IRB Council, Law amendments were not required but that current Law was to be enforced by match officials including:

1. Ball ripped from a ball carry not to be considered a knock-on
2. Offside when the ball is kicked to touch thereby preventing quick throw ins
3. Squeeze ball and the need to ensure the ball is immediately available

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
I've got my first appointment so far being September 1, Brighton U15 vs Wellington U15, I'm looking forward to it, will be a nice little journey.

I've also been appointed with a coach being my Regional Manager.

Looking forward to the season starting!

Last edited:

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
did a game in july (old laws) -as soon as get olympics out of way off to france for2 games 16 and 18th august- guess will have to come up with new franglais or new laws (hopefully will get a steer from my AR's as we warm up on 16th)