pre-season friendlies.

scarlet referee

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Just wondering how most of you guys approach preseason friendlies??

I have my first game tomorrow evening so was just looking to see if any of you guys would be doing anything differently? Team briefs, captains & just general attitude??

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
It can be easy to let too much go as you think they need a good run out, acurate and relaxed would be my 2 key words

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just wondering how most of you guys approach preseason friendlies??

I have my first game tomorrow evening so was just looking to see if any of you guys would be doing anything differently? Team briefs, captains & just general attitude??

Sure it's a pre-season game but approach it as if you would any other game. The players use these to get into form and so should referees. Why would you referee a pre-season match differently than you would a game during the season? Makes no sense to me.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sure it's a pre-season game but approach it as if you would any other game. The players use these to get into form and so should referees. Why would you referee a pre-season match differently than you would a game during the season? Makes no sense to me.

I would agree except I would discuss with team managers pre-game what they want to achieve from the game. For example, if they want to condition their forwards in scummaging I would shorten advantage to increase the number of scrums. Or they may have a new lineout move they want to practice - give them some latitude.

4 x 15 or 20 minute quarters is popular here to allow for extra breathers and allow the coach more contact with players.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would agree except I would discuss with team managers pre-game what they want to achieve from the game. For example, if they want to condition their forwards in scummaging I would shorten advantage to increase the number of scrums. Or they may have a new lineout move they want to practice - give them some latitude.

4 x 15 or 20 minute quarters is popular here to allow for extra breathers and allow the coach more contact with players.

Agreed. I was more talking about tackle/ruck interpretations etc, there is not point in changing those for a pre-season friendly.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think Dickie is spot on. The game is presumably there for two primary purposes: player conditioning, and familiarisation with the new interpretations. You can't do much about the first - playing a game without league pressure is its own solution. As to the second, they want to find out how the new ELVs will be put into practice during games that count, so they want you to treat this as a league game. The only concession I'd make is in terms of explanation - treat it like a youth game, with decisions clearly and extensively explained, and a degree of coaching so they fully understand what you are looking for.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
they want to find out how the new ELVs will be put into practice during games that count, so they want you to treat this as a league game.

What ELVs ? There are only LATs this season ! :biggrin:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Dixie - yes. Though talk to the coaches beforehand to confirm what they, and you, want out of the game.

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
When I played we always liked the referee to be as strict as he would be on a Saturday competitive game.
Two reasons, put us on our toes and prevented bad habits, and secondly we felt it enabled us to cheat more effectivly i.e. we knew what the referees were looking for and could prepare for such.
Always had long discussions with referee afterwards about the game - we needed him on our side if he refereed us in the season!!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Due to too many referees still playing or umpiring cricket, playing in golf medals, sailing, fell walking, in Afghanistan, on holiday, etc and with two teams of 3 out for a L4 and L5 match, I have been appointed to a newly promoted L8 club internal 1st v 2nd XV tomorrow.

So a useful opportunity for me to apply the LATs, Big Five and 3 Law enforcements as a referee myself before starting Match Observing on 1st September :biggrin:

Club confirmed match at 8 pm last evening and Director of Rugby called me at 7:00 am today (he knows I am on a commuter train for an hour and is an old friend).

He wants 4 x 20 minutes, plus 20 mins after that in specific coached game scenarios.

He asked me to give a 15 minute review of applicable LATs an hour before kick off, followed by 10 mins on scrum engagement practice. He is an ELRA referee himself and does Sunday morning matches at U14 & U15 at his club, so he is well informed and aware.

He asked for normal refereeing as would happen at a League match, and he wants me to play a lot of advantage generally, but will ask me in Q2 to change to a very strict 'fussy' approach to see player adaptability (his quote "to prepare them for a different referee style they might get at Surrey clubs"). Throughout he wants me to be harsh in control of the tackle segments, especially tackler release & gate entry, and at ruck zero tolerance on back foot entry and arrival on feet.
His final ask was to be very tight on defensive centres offside line at all times.

I will report how it went once I have recovered.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Simon - enjoy. They had a good season last year, and pipped us to the promotion, but they are a club I always enjoyed going to as a ref, and very much approve of their quite public stance:

In particular, the player’s code is based on RESPECT for their fellow players, coachs, referees and opponents. In return, they should expect respect for their personal efforts and achievements.

If individuals cannot show this respect then their involvement in the club should be questioned.

I wish them all success over the coming season.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Due to too many referees still playing or umpiring cricket, playing in golf medals, sailing, fell walking, in Afghanistan, on holiday, etc and with two teams of 3 out for a L4 and L5 match, I have been appointed to a newly promoted L8 club internal 1st v 2nd XV tomorrow.

So a useful opportunity for me to apply the LATs, Big Five and 3 Law enforcements as a referee myself before starting Match Observing on 1st September :biggrin:

Club confirmed match at 8 pm last evening and Director of Rugby called me at 7:00 am today (he knows I am on a commuter train for an hour and is an old friend).

He wants 4 x 20 minutes, plus 20 mins after that in specific coached game scenarios.

He asked me to give a 15 minute review of applicable LATs an hour before kick off, followed by 10 mins on scrum engagement practice. He is an ELRA referee himself and does Sunday morning matches at U14 & U15 at his club, so he is well informed and aware.

He asked for normal refereeing as would happen at a League match, and he wants me to play a lot of advantage generally, but will ask me in Q2 to change to a very strict 'fussy' approach to see player adaptability (his quote "to prepare them for a different referee style they might get at Surrey clubs"). Throughout he wants me to be harsh in control of the tackle segments, especially tackler release & gate entry, and at ruck zero tolerance on back foot entry and arrival on feet.
His final ask was to be very tight on defensive centres offside line at all times.

I will report how it went once I have recovered.

Not too much then :drool:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Can't beleive it just had my one and only pre season game called off due to waterlogged pitch at whitehaven. Bloody British Summer.
1st game now is a level 7 Cumbria Cup Match next week.
That'll be fun!!