Premiership relegation set to be suspended

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so they coud get to a situation then that sides get relegated and do NOT sell their shares and the premiership ends up with twelve/fourteen/however many teams that hold no shares while many clubs still holding shares from X years ago are playing semi pro in national 3 ?

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
so they coud get to a situation then that sides get relegated and do NOT sell their shares and the premiership ends up with twelve/fourteen/however many teams that hold no shares while many clubs still holding shares from X years ago are playing semi pro in national 3 ?

No, it’s more complex than that (read the BBC article I linked to earlier), but part of that includes;

• Each club gets B shares
  • Every club gets five A shares for every year they are in the Premiership.
  • Clubs get a maximum of 40 A shares after six years
  • P shares, worth 25% of income, only given to 13 clubs.
I think you also lose P shares (the ones worth income) the longer you are away, these are the ones you can buy, ie you can buy an income,

KoolFork

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The BBC article was written in 2012 and the share structure has changed, probably when CVC came onboard. However, it does suggest that B shares may always have existed.

What I really don't understand is why Newcastle don't have any B shares, although they still have all their A shares. At the date this information is based on (March 2020), Newcastle weren't in the Premiership.

Last edited: