Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Whatever they're paying Phil Thomson it ain't enough

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A high profile sportsman should know better, and brings into question is judgement and suitability to be an ambassador for his country.

I travel by air regularly on business and for leisure . Over the years I have seen a number of passengers refused their seat due to being drunk after repeated and highly polite requests to sit down and be quiet by cabin crew. All types from suited business types to young lads off for a stag weekend.

To be thrown off a flight takes some doing and yet again we have an Australian rugby player with an alcohol abuse problem..

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Integrity officer? the mere fact that they've got one says something !

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hang on!

He says he wasn't drunk but was in a dispute over seating arrangements for he and his girlfreind with Air Asia (nothing new there then! I flew to Singapore this year with Air Asia... never again!)

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
True, he has said that since I posted the story originally.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So he has an attitude problem without being drunk to excuse him.

Why does someone who has an issue with being treated like a sack of shite by an airline, have an attitude problem?

I'd normally be the last one to defend JOC because I think is a jumped-up prat, but I can sympathise in this case, because I have had dealings with this particular airline myself, and they weren't pleasant ones.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In which case if I were JOC my lawyers would be sending letters to both Air Asia and the publications that printed the story for personal damages in defamation of character.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
You only get damages if you actually have a reputation to be damaged...

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hang on!

He says he wasn't drunk but was in a dispute over seating arrangements for he and his girlfreind with Air Asia (nothing new there then! I flew to Singapore this year with Air Asia... never again!)

flight c.4.30am, immediately following a narrow test win ........ '2/9 on' says he had some % in his bloodstream .. how ironic he was banned from 'AA' :cool:

Shane D

Post Likes
Why does someone who has an issue with being treated like a sack of shite by an airline, have an attitude problem?

I'd normally be the last one to defend JOC because I think is a jumped-up prat, but I can sympathise in this case, because I have had dealings with this particular airline myself, and they weren't pleasant ones.

You don't normally get removed from the airport by the Australian Federal Police who then note that you are intoxicated for just having an argument with the check in staff.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Having Link McKenzie leave him out of the touring squad to SA & Argentina, I wonder what sort of dialogue he is currently having with the ARU so that the damage has been minimised by the time the Wallabies arrive back in Australia.
Nathan Sharpe, who captained JOC at the Force for most of JOC's career, was less than supportive of him on Rugby HQ last week and I would expect that Sharpey would have a fair insight into JOC's attitude during Robbie Deans' tenure having been a squad member and then the LO Coach until Dingo got the flick.
He is a talented player but to me, anybody who talks about themself in the 3rd person as "Brand O'Connor" and who has previously shown that he wants to do his own thing when in camp, needs bringing down a peg or two. Unfortunately for JOC, this latest reality check may have just closed any door that was slightly ajar in relation to his future in Australian rugby. Michael Cheika is prepared to give Beale a chance with the Waratahs next season but he straight out refused to even entertain the idea of taking JOC on. Cheika is a hard nut and his snub of JOC tells me that Cheika has probably heard too many unsavoury stories from JOC's Wallabies team mates who are currently at the Waratahs. It says volumes when a group of team mates don't want anything to do with you.
I wonder if he is getting any advice from his parents who no doubtedly put a lot of time and effort supporting him through his early formative rugby years?
Time to grow up JOC, which reminds me, how is Danny Cipriani doing? Saw some highlights of the Sharks game and he looked like he scored a million points in that match.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Time to grow up JOC, which reminds me, how is Danny Cipriani doing? Saw some highlights of the Sharks game and he looked like he scored a million points in that match.
I think I heard that he came off the bench very early in the match, and grabbed his chance with both hands. But interesting that he wasn't the starting player - perhaps the coach wants to keep his ego in check.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What a wasted talent. He'd been given enough chances to get his act together and good to see ARU taking a firm stance when it was plainly evident he didn't really care for anyone but himself. It will be interesting to see how this sacking affects him. I hope the break does him some good and he learns to bring his ego down a notch or three and concentrate on the rugby so that he can get back into the wallabies squad.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Doubt it.
Article in the Daily Telegraph today starts with the headline, "Why I'm rebuilding brand".
If that is a direct quote, then I would say the ego is as big as ever.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Then he'll fit right in at NRL.