[Kit] Protective Face Shield

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I remember a French player who had a similar all foam mask which was probably OK.
The answer is the refs let her wear it - I assume therefore the clear bits are soft enough they thought it safe.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
:ireland:

It is not Megan Williams' first time playing with a broken nose. So I suspect World Rugby have had ample time to check her face mask. June 2014 + June 2015

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Can anyone see the IRB (or WR) approval mark? I don't think it should be OK as if it is soft enough to not be a danger to anyone else it will not provide much protection to the player.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I cant see how that protects a broken nose - the first I thought was one hand off, shoulder etc in the face and that's her nose broken!

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It should be illegal, it contravenes the laws of the game by having buckles.

[LAWS]4.4 (c) A player must not wear any items containing buckles, clips, rings, hinges, zippers, screws,
bolts or rigid material or projection not otherwise permitted under this Law.[/LAWS]

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I suspect Sevens have their own safety requirements.

Remember Imanol Harinordoquy's padded face mask?
Well one of the Irish XV Women's pack wore something similar the end of last year. All that padding surely Restricts vision at the line out and in OpenPlay. Permission must perhaps be sought on a competition basis.
Getting clearance for Sevens, doesn't necessarily allow it in XV a side.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I suspect Sevens have their own safety requirements.

Remember Imanol Harinordoquy's padded face mask?
Well one of the Irish XV Women's pack wore something similar the end of last year. All that padding surely Restricts vision at the line out and in OpenPlay. Permission must perhaps be sought on a competition basis.
Getting clearance for Sevens, doesn't necessarily allow it in XV a side.

I was so glad when Harinordoquy lost his place in the French squad - not that I have anything against him of course, it was because I didn't have to listen to Jonathan Davies trying to pronounce his name.

Emmanuel Harry Ordinary-Query. :biggrin:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
The bandages comply with 4.1(h). A player may wear bandages and/or dressings to cover or protect any injury.

However unlike the Sevens face-mask these substantially restrict the player's normal field of vision. Which must increase the risk of collisions. This in turn means the (bandaged version) face ask falls foul of worldrugby specifications regulation 12. It must not constitute a physical danger to the wearer or other players

I see that Law trial amendment allows goggles. Many types of other goggles were excluded on the basis that restricting the field of vision was dangerous in a contact sport.

Last edited: