[Law] Push ball carrier

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
"Might be"!! Horse collar we call it(Collar grab from behind)

What about pulling a player who is lying/sitting on ground holding the ball?

Red 6 on floor ,,got there by going to ground to gather a loose ball.
Blue 6 approaches red 6 ,,,
For me i would ref situation as follows ...
Red 6 needs to either get up with ball ,,off load to team mate whilst still on floor ,,,or he has to make it available for blue 6..
However i would not allow blue 6 to make his 1st choice to man handle red 6 ...
Blue 6 in this instance would be entitled access to ball ( but cant dive on him / simillar ).
Both players would need to tread carefully ,,as not to give away penalty .

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Im not suggesting standing still would be a good game plan .
However it wouldnt be to out of theory ..... red 7 passes to red 4 ,,,,red 4 not expecting pass ,,is pondering does he run with ball or pass left or right ,,for a couple seconds he is stationary ..
Would you allow opposition to push him to floor ??

In the split second he is "confused" I'd not have a problem. If it was for a couple of seconds I'd expect a tackle propper. Why on earth would you do anything else? Sorry we re getting to far from reality now.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Red 6 on floor ,,got there by going to ground to gather a loose ball.
Blue 6 approaches red 6 ,,,
For me i would ref situation as follows ...
Red 6 needs to either get up with ball ,,off load to team mate whilst still on floor ,,,or he has to make it available for blue 6..
However i would not allow blue 6 to make his 1st choice to man handle red 6 ...
Blue 6 in this instance would be entitled access to ball ( but cant dive on him / simillar ).
Both players would need to tread carefully ,,as not to give away penalty .

well, for me blue 6 would have to do a damned site more than just approach red 6 if he wants red 6 to let go of the ball.

That aside if blue 6 wants to grab red 6 in a non dangerous fashion (collar etc) and pull him into touch for a lineout etc I see no problem.

didds

didds

- - - Updated - - -

And answer came there none

funny that eh? ;-)

didds

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I think he has to arrive - but no more.
If Red 6 is on the floor and Blue 6 on his feet reaches for the ball, Red 6 has to get up or release - if my whistle is no going to move towards my lips.

Of course I am looking for a clear and obvious offence of holding on before I blow.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
The semantic part of my brain says that push denotes with hands and charge is with a shoulder or upper body. Just my understanding, not putting is forward as a definitive answer.

I don't like pushing, think it should be specifically outlawed. I may be wrong but is pushing outlawed in the underage game?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think he has to arrive - but no more.

so if he runs up, stops and just looks at red 6 you will expect red 6 to release based on that alone?

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't like pushing, think it should be specifically outlawed. I may be wrong but is pushing outlawed in the underage game?

I don't it is by WR, but I wouldn't be surprised if individual unions ban it. Ours bans handing off to the face at U18, but I can find no reference to that in the law book.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
well, for me blue 6 would have to do a damned site more than just approach red 6 if he wants red 6 to let go of the ball.

That aside if blue 6 wants to grab red 6 in a non dangerous fashion (collar etc) and pull him into touch for a lineout etc I see no problem.

didds

didds

- - - Updated - - -

funny that eh? ;-)

didds

not sure grabbing a guy on floor & dragging him into touch would be totally accepted {{ a player on his feet maybe so }}
surely the guy on floor , would be penalised for holding onto ball ??

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fairly sure. I had an assessor pick me up on it, anyway.

yes, well .....

not sure which country you are, but in England the RFU have no special age-grade variations relating to hand-offs (other than the age when you can do them, of course)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

didds

I would definitely have a problem with that.
Blue is entitled to attempt to play the ball only. If he gets hands on, red must release.
If blue makes no attempt to play the ball but instead grabs the red player by the jersey and starts pulling him towards the sideline, he is getting penalised.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
My State's Youth organization specifically bans fends/hand offs above the shoulders.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Fair enough wrt pulling etc . I was sure i'd seen it happen but its fine :)

didds

- - - Updated - - -

Can a defender grab a foot that is inches from a touchline and put it in touch to win the lineout? Very gently like ;-)

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fair enough wrt pulling etc . I was sure i'd seen it happen but its fine :)

didds

- - - Updated - - -

Can a defender grab a foot that is inches from a touchline and put it in touch to win the lineout? Very gently like ;-)

didds

I'd not have a problem with it. Though I probably wouldn't have a problem with someone dragging a man on the ground into touch - he should have let go of the ball!

It's quite a common practice now to pull players lying on the wrong side out of the way and I don't see a huge difference.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
>> Ours bans handing off to the face at U18, but I can find no reference to that in the law book.

Are you sure it does ban it.? This is a common urban myth.

RFU continuum/AGRs/NROP ban handoffs up to and icnluding U12 AIUI (Im no longger CCC and haven;t coached at that age group level fro some while now).

its certainly NOT banned from U13 upwards (caveat-see before)

didds

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
For 2016, the USA GMG's banned tackling above the armpit, and fending or pushing in the face for U-19.