Qucik Throw

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
A player ( Green ) outside the touch line propels the ball with his hand into play . The ball bounces between touch and the 5m line . The opposition ( red) collect the ball and run down to the goal line .

The referee consults the AR and asks whether there is any reason not to award a try . The reply was that the red player prevented the ball traveling 5 m and therefore a FK to Green .

This is a question as traveling 5 means that it must travel 5m before it touches the ground . 19.6 also says that it should go along the line of touch and therefore refers to a formed line out .

The decision if based on that this was a quick throw must be considered that a quick stands on its own and is not a part of the laws on Line out .

Then it should be under law 19.2 (e) which means reds has the option of a line out or scrum .
Would you play advantage to reds on the basis that green failed to throw 5 meters

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It was clearly an incorrect QTI

[LAWS](e)
An incorrect quick throw-in occurs when:
•The ball is thrown towards the opponents goal line, or
•The ball is thrown in ahead of the line of touch, or
•The ball is thrown in on or behind the goal line, or
Tha ball touches the ground or a player before reaching the 5 metre line, or
•The thrower steps into the field-of-play when throwing the ball.

The opposing team’s choices are to elect to throw in at either:

•a lineout where the quick throw was attempted, or
•a scrum on the 15-metre line at that place. [/LAWS]

So, the question is whether you can play advantage..

I don't see why not?

But it's difficult to visualise: did the ball failt travel 5m because a red player was in the channel interfering with the thrower, getting in the way? If that was the case then the FK seems right.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
1st offence is, as you have noted, that the QTI was taken incorrectly, with the ball hitting the ground. This gives Red a potential throw-in. Crossref asks whether advantage can be played. Personally, I think not. The ball has not been brought back into play, and so it would be improper to pretend that the ball is now properly in play and available to be played.

leaving that point to one side, has Red infringed by playing the ball within the 5m channel? A quick glance at 19.2(h) might suggest so:

[LAWS](h) At a quick throw-in, a player must not prevent the ball being thrown in 5 metres.
Sanction: Free Kick on 15-metre line[/LAWS]

However, that must surely be read in conjunction with 19.2(e), requiring the throw to travel 5m in the air. If it has hit the ground before the Red player gathers, then he did not prevent it travelling 5m in the air.

So for me it all turns on whether or not a ball that has not been properly brought back into play can be played as though it had been. This is not absolutely unacceptable - a "not 10m" kick-off can be accepted, for example - but where this is permitted it is specifically mentioned as an exception. I see no such mention here.