Question about front row players

Arturas

Referees in Lithuania
Post Likes
Hello,
I haven't found in forum this type of scenario:
team A after 30 min. changes all 3 front row players. Aftes 30 min. they return each after each for the injuries of replaced players. As I understand it is leagall?

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Arturas, for me if the front row have all been substituted they can only come back on if their replacement is injured not as another substitution, and if any of them where changed because they were injured they cannot come back on

Arturas

Referees in Lithuania
Post Likes
I understand this. But can players who substitute the first 3 front row player in tactical change be again change for the injury by the same 3 front row players?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Arturas:

If players 1, 2 & 3 go off for tactical reasons to be replaced by 19, 20 & 21, then if there is an injury to 19, 20 or 21 then that player can be replaced by 1, 2 or 3. If all of 19, 20 & 21 get injured, then 1, 2 & 3 can all come back on.

However if 1, 2 or 3 were replaced due to injury, then they are NOT allowed to return to the field of play in the event of an injury to 19, 20 or 21.

All this is provided the local regulation would allow there to be the necessary number of replacements to do this, and that the team had not used up it's allocation of allowable replacements.

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
thats what i tried to say but FLIPFLOP said it better

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Arturas, I thinbk you are looking for Law 3.12(a), exception 2. The law prohibits a substituted player returning to the game, even to replace an injured player. Exception 2 applies where the injured player is a front row player:
Exception 2: a substituted player may replace a front row player when injured, temporarily suspended or sent off unless the referee has ordered uncontested scrums prior to the event which led to the front row player leaving the field of play and the team has used all the permitted replacements and substitutions.

Given your question, we should also note law 3.4 paragraph 3:
A team can substitute up to two front row players (subject to Law 3.14 when it may be three) and up to five other players. Substitutions may only be made when the ball is dead and with the permission of the referee.
So it is unlikely that all three FR's could be substituted in the first place.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Well - 1 of them MUST be an injury.

So - NO, all 3 cannot come back.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
and (if they were tactical subs) they can come back on as temporary replacement for a blood bin player or for a sin binned player (with extra man-off) at the time of the first scrum for the duration of 15 min running time and 10 min playing time respectively.

Arturas

Referees in Lithuania
Post Likes
Thank you. Now its clear that it could be done in the international matches, but if the union says, tah t you can change up to 23 players, so I think it is posible to change first row after 30, and then return them for the reason of injury back in the second half. It will be cheating. But we all now the history.