[Line out] Questions about quick line out and penalty kick

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
Hello everyone,

sorry If i ask two different questions in one thread but I'd like not to spam.

Questions:

1. If the ball goes out of the perimeter area, is a quick throw still allowed? (Assuming it bounces back or one player goes out to fetch it). Can you provide examples (videos or documents)?
  2. I' m awarded a penalty kick, can I use a different ball to take the PK?Can you provide examples (videos or documents)?

I hope i didn't ask questions already asked (couldn't find anything).

Thank you all

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
1) Yes - subject to the usual caveats.

2) They should use the ball in play, unless the ref deems it defective. For example, kicker discovers it is soft, they should ask you before changing.

If the ball was just hoofed into the trees/river - I am not going to hold up play while the club president wanders after it, or finds a child to do so.

But, even though the other side has just infringed, you should not let the kicking side gain an undue advantage by changing ball.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me
1 it depends , if a ball hit a tree and bounces back I would allow a QTI . If a player has to dig the ball out of a ditch I wouldnt let him mosey back to the touchline and sneakily QTI

2 I definitely would not allow a quick tap with a fresh ball
I would be reluctant to allow a kick at goal with a fresh ball

But otherwise if the 9 said this ball is rubbish, can we go back to using the first one, I can see they threw it back over the fence to us . Look , there it is..

I would say yes

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At the level I referee at the home team is supposed to have 3 balls available. So if the original ball is not available following the penalty (for example penalty for a late charge at the kicker after they've hoofed it into a river) I'm going for a new ball. If a penalty for say late tackle, in at the side etc. then they are using the same ball subject to earlier caveats about identifying a defect in it.

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
I just found that that in Italy If the ball goes out of the perimeter area, a quick throw is not allowed.
A clarification has been made in 2016/17....I missed it, sorry.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I just found that that in Italy If the ball goes out of the perimeter area, a quick throw is not allowed.
A clarification has been made in 2016/17....I missed it, sorry.

Hi ccref - that's interestng : do you have a link to the clarification ? or can you just copy and paste the text of it?

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
Hi ccref - that's interestng : do you have a link to the clarification ? or can you just copy and paste the text of it?

This is the link, in italian:
https://www.federugby.it/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=4896&Itemid=314

Text (it includes also law 20):

CIRCOLARE INFORMATIVA 06 / 2016 - 2017
CHIARIMENTO
Regola 19 – TOUCH e RIMESSA LATERALE
Regola 20 - MISCHIA
La presente circolare riporta dei chiarimenti alle Regole di Gioco al fine di migliorare e uniformare le linee guida che devono seguire arbitri e assistenti arbitrali nel loro operato durante la gara.
Regola 19.2 – RIMESSA IN GIOCO RAPIDA DEL PALLONE
Una rimessa in gioco rapida non sarà concessa se il pallone viene calciato o va oltre i manufatti che delimitano e definiscono il recinto di gioco.
Regola 20.6 – COME IL MEDIANO DI MISCHIA INTRODUCE IL PALLONE
Il mediano di mischia per introdurre il pallone può spostarsi leggermente di lato rispetto alla propria prima linea in modo che, comunque, una sua spalla rimanga all’altezza della linea mediana tra le prime linee.
In questa situazione il pallone dovrà essere assolutamente introdotto diritto e parallelo rispetto alla linea mediana tra le prime linee.
Regola 20.12 – FUORI-GIOCO NELLA MISCHIA
Il mediano di mischia della squadra che non ha vinto il possesso del pallone all’introduzione deve rimanere con entrambi i suoi piedi dietro il pallone, non può seguire la progressione posizionandosi tra il flanker e il No. 8 e non si deve allontanare dalla mischia.
Nel caso si ritiri, la sua linea di fuori-gioco passa attraverso il piede più arretrato dell’ultimo giocatore in mischia della sua squadra; in questa posizione può anche allontanarsi dalla mischia quanto vuole, da una linea di touch all’altra.
30 settembre 2016
C.N.Ar. Gruppo Tecnico Arbitrale

Translation of the interested part:

Rule 19.2 - Quick Throw:
A quick throw-in will not be granted if the ball is kicked or goes beyond the artifacts that demarcate and define the perimeter area.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
May I ask from where did that clarification come?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
May I ask from where did that clarification come?
INFORMATION CIRCULAR 06/2016 - 2017 EXPLANATION Rule 19 - TOUCH and QUICK THROW-IN
This circular contains clarifications to the Rules of the Game in order to improve and standardise the guidelines that referees and ARs must follow during a game.
[...]
C.N.Ar. Arbitration Technical Group

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
INFORMATION CIRCULAR 06/2016 - 2017 EXPLANATION Rule 19 - TOUCH and QUICK THROW-IN
This circular contains clarifications to the Rules of the Game in order to improve and standardise the guidelines that referees and ARs must follow during a game.
[...]
C.N.Ar. Arbitration Technical Group

Exactly, italian Arbitration(Arbitral?) Technical Group (GTA: Gruppo Tecnico Arbitrale) decided so. This applies only to Italy of course.