Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Originally Posted by Phil E

ATTR, what is your point exactly?

I covered being within 10m...but for completeness also covered other offsides at a kick.

Are you just trying to provoke something?

Just returned to this thread. NO not trying to provoke anything. The question was quite specific, why complicate it with stuff the guy is not asking?

Why quote a question and answer together?
Are you one of those people who has to have the last word?

Last edited:

TNT88

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Not trying to throw petrol onto a fire. But I haven't been watching much NH rugby and with our season starting in a few weeks I was wonder if you guys in the NH came up with a solution to that "ball unplayable" after time has expired scenario?

You know where a team hasn't (yet) been caught failing to "use it" the entire game, and after time expires they just leave the ball in the ruck and the ref orders a scrum to the attacking team? (ending the game)

Is there a consensus on what to do yet? (ie: end the game or penalize for time wasting)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
To be honest TNT, it has never happened.
If it does, then as sole arbiter of time, I will make a decision there and then.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If it does, then as sole arbiter of time, I will make a decision there and then.

Horizontal sleet and hot showers waiting.... vs ... nice warm afternoon with a pleasant breeze and a good game happening

TNT88

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
New season tomorrow (again). After running through the usual hypothetical scenarios I thought of this one.

When a player argues with your decision enough to warrant a penalty, you march their team 10m. What happens if you get a bit of dissent while playing advantage for an infringement. Is the new mark for the advantage 10m downfield?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
New season tomorrow (again). After running through the usual hypothetical scenarios I thought of this one.

When a player argues with your decision enough to warrant a penalty, you march their team 10m. What happens if you get a bit of dissent while playing advantage for an infringement. Is the new mark for the advantage 10m downfield?

I would, it dissuades anyone from thinking they have a 'without consequence dissent window' at the ref ...... :nono:

You've communicated your decision, so it's 'post decision' dissent the same as all others.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Or - i think - you can give a completely new PK where the dissent is, which may be better for the oppo as it will be right here and they can take it quickly.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Not trying to throw petrol onto a fire. But I haven't been watching much NH rugby and with our season starting in a few weeks I was wonder if you guys in the NH came up with a solution to that "ball unplayable" after time has expired scenario?

You know where a team hasn't (yet) been caught failing to "use it" the entire game, and after time expires they just leave the ball in the ruck and the ref orders a scrum to the attacking team? (ending the game)

Is there a consensus on what to do yet? (ie: end the game or penalize for time wasting)

TNT, just noticed this ...& it set me thinking

Ireland deliberately made the ball 'unplayable' to end the France v Ireland 6N match [albeit maul] , so my logic says that irrespective of who makes the ball unplayable it's the same result.

The way the question was worded suggests the referee seeing clear 'gamesmanship/anti-sportsmanship' that offends his sense of fairness, if so then his only avenue is to find a Law to award a PK [as 16.4[d] requires them to try to move away, this seems to be the 'cap that fits' ].

Irrelevant in a one sided victory, but a bigger call in a <7pt match. How big are your gonads?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Or - i think - you can give a completely new PK where the dissent is, which may be better for the oppo as it will be right here and they can take it quickly.

Or run to the new mark & bring the Danny Care look-a-like with you.:biggrin:

[If you're ahem....lucky You might even see a player like Faletau turn his back, more reminiscent of a novice 11yr old than a British Lion! :buttkick: ]

FightOrFlight

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes

:noyc: h'up them stairs

If a guy starts shouting at me in open play he's going in the bin