Quick tap penalty

jcas1403

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
On saturday I penalised a player who opted to take a quick tap penalty.... the ball never left his hands (he tapped the ball against the inside of his boot with the ball still in his hands), I explained what he had done and he understood.

next penalty he placed the ball on the floor, removed his hands from the ball, then tapped the ball with his foot, picked it up and ran... Is this legal ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
On saturday I penalised a player who opted to take a quick tap penalty.... the ball never left his hands (he tapped the ball against the inside of his boot with the ball still in his hands), I explained what he had done and he understood.

next penalty he placed the ball on the floor, removed his hands from the ball, then tapped the ball with his foot, picked it up and ran... Is this legal ?

yes, as long as the ball visibly moves. Indeed for our younger age groups this is exactly how we coach them to do it (many many fewer fumbles and knock ons!)

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Just looking for the Law reference for you but an incorrectly taken quick tap is a scrum with opposition to feed.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Just looking for the Law reference for you but an incorrectly taken quick tap is a scrum with opposition to feed.
What age was he Jcas1403?

It's not an U19 variation but if he's a little twt, are you really going to give a scrum ... or just explain to the lot of them what he did wrong and ask him to take it correctly?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

It's not an U19 variation but if he's a twt, are you really going to give a scrum ... or just explain to the lot of them what he did wrong and ask him to take it correctly?

if they are older than about 11 then they ALL know how to take a tap penalty correctly...

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
if they are older than about 11 then they ALL know how to take a tap penalty correctly...
That one didn't. :biggrin:

If you've explained to them all how to do it properly .... and they still do it wrong, fair enough go with a scrum - but if they're just starting out, I tend to "coach" them as the game goes along.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

If you've explained to them all how to do it properly .... and they still do it wrong, fair enough go with a scrum - but if they're just starting out, I tend to "coach" them as the game goes along.

bet he does now!
also bet he doesn't screw it up again (well 95% of the time anyway)...tough love but he's probably learnt a lesson.

ps I do agree with coaching the younger one's on the laws without sanction at times but losing the ball is surely and effective way to get the message through!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I just don't believe that you were the very first person who ever explained it to him....
the first people that ever explained it to my son were his coaches, on the first day of training in the first season that quick taps were allowed. It was carefully explained to all of them, and they practiced it....

jcas1403

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes

It's not an U19 variation but if he's a little twt, are you really going to give a scrum ... or just explain to the lot of them what he did wrong and ask him to take it correctly?

it was an under 15 game. he was a decent lad. unfortunately i gave the wrong decision and disallowed the kick and awarded a free kick to the opposition

jcas1403

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes

problem here is, I am in rugby league land up here. this team only started this season and every player has come from a rugby league club. this type of penalty restart is ok for them. i dont want to put them off playing RU

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
problem here is, I am in rugby league land up here. this team only started this season and every player has come from a rugby league club. this type of penalty restart is ok for them. i dont want to put them off playing RU

Similar issue in my neck of the woods, so I always include it in my pre-match.

To me that is their warning, so if it happens in a game, scrum. The few times it has happended the coach has gone off at his players not me.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I remind them before they take the kick, "has to leave your hands" "through the mark" something...no way to squirm out of it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
U15s is way too old to give any special latitude , I thought you were talking about twelve year olds

Many kids round us play RL as well. Shrug. Plenty of laws are different .

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I recently did a women's Uni match and it was clear from the outset that the were both pretty much development teams.

One team did a quick tap that didn't leave the hands followed by the opposition bouncing one off the knee. I explained to both teams how a free kick or penalty should be taken and all was fine until half way though the 2nd half and knee bouncer did a repeat performance 6-7m from the oppos line. Peep scrum to the defence. You should have heard the names they called her, I didn't think young ladies used such vocabulary :biggrin:

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
youths U16 and younger, early development teams explain and go again the first time; subsequent occassions scrum it (never FK !)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
youths U16 and younger, early development teams explain and go again the first time; subsequent occassions scrum it (never FK !)

I think many referees used to adult rugby have a massive blind spot about this. Of all the complicated Laws and skills required for rugby, somehow the quick tap has become something that referees consider so difficult for young people to understand or master, that they need a on field coaching and second chances.

in england quick taps come into the game at U11 ! I can distinctly remember the first half of the U11 season where switched on teams who thought of taking it quickly took slower-thinking opponents completely by surprise by tapping and running. quick taps were very popular from day one - and still are

when I was reffing u11 it was indeed appropriate to explain and to let them take it again, especially when quick taps were attempted by eager ten-year old forwards who found themselve with the ball and thought they would have a go.

The idea that five seasons later, referees are still earenstly explaining the concept of quick taps to U16s make me snort with laughter. The reason the SH tapped it on his boot wasn't becasue he didn't know, it was because he hoped you wouldn't notice, or if you did notice you didn't care, or if you did care you'd most likely let him take it again anyway.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
oh you are a harsh man ! and perhaps right with a club of the status of yours and others of a simialr level that you play against.

But a lot of the smaller clubs do not have a conveyor belt from U6 upwards and often at even U15 and U16 levels there are newish players from non-rugby playing schools.

for them a warning at the first mistake at taking a wquick tap FK / PK is acceptable to me - and I sam usually quite a pedant on such matters ! :biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
even U15 and U16 levels there are newish players from non-rugby playing schools.

yes of course we have those as well -- but in reality they are never the players taking the quick tap penalty, they are players who stopped dead when they heard the loud PK blast on the whistle and are now standing still, bemused when play continues.

(in the case of the defenders, the brightest and quickest thinking of these brand new players are just about to give away a second PK by pulling themselves together fast enough to tackle the oppo SH before they retired 10m :smile: it's an unforgiving game when you are new)