Quick Throw - Oooops

ruareftrev91

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
For ages I have refereed with the notion that if a player carrying the ball goes in to touch then a quick throw cannot be taken.
I had cause to look at the law book yesterday and discovered that I have been mistaken all this time, consistent but mistaken.
A quick throw can be taken provided that no-one other than the ball carrier and thrower have touched the ball.

Ooooops
Just goes to show you read your law book frequently, no matter how long you've been refereeing.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
For ages I have refereed with the notion that if a player carrying the ball goes in to touch then a quick throw cannot be taken.
I had cause to look at the law book yesterday and discovered that I have been mistaken all this time, consistent but mistaken.
A quick throw can be taken provided that no-one other than the ball carrier and thrower have touched the ball.

Ooooops
Just goes to show you read your law book frequently, no matter how long you've been refereeing.

Presumably your incorrectness has never been questioned by players, coaches or assessors ????

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

Ooooops

it's different in Cornwall. The applicable rule is that if the out-of-county team takes the ball in, then a quick throw is permissible. But if the local team takes the ball into touch, the out-of-county visitors are never permitted to win the throw-in, whether or not an effort is made to take it quickly.

This is known as the Simon Thomas rule of Throw In to Us!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
it's different in Cornwall. The applicable rule is that if the out-of-county team takes the ball in, then a quick throw is permissible. But if the local team takes the ball into touch, the out-of-county visitors are never permitted to win the throw-in, whether or not an effort is made to take it quickly.

This is known as the Simon Thomas rule of Throw In to Us!

I though that to be the universal rule.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
A thing that I am starting to see is that the non-throwing team think they can prevent a QTI by forming up for a lineout, on their own.

twice this season (two different games) I have had
- blue kick it out
- red player picks up ball
- amid cries of 'mark it, mark it' two or three blue players form a line at the LoT
- red (who is 10m behind the LoT) executes a quick throw in and recipient hares off down the pitch
- "play on" from me
- complaints from blue

Anyone else encountering this?

[LAWS](c)
A player must not take a quick throw-in after the lineout has formed. If the player does, the quick throw-in is disallowed. The same team throws in at the lineout.[/LAWS]

I take that to mean that when there are two players from each team, the QTI is no longer an option, blue players on their own can't stop a QTI this way.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
AIUI You are correct crossref.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
A thing that I am starting to see is that the non-throwing team think they can prevent a QTI by forming up for a lineout, on their own.

twice this season (two different games) I have had
- blue kick it out
- red player picks up ball
- amid cries of 'mark it, mark it' two or three blue players form a line at the LoT
- red (who is 10m behind the LoT) executes a quick throw in and recipient hares off down the pitch
- "play on" from me
- complaints from blue

Anyone else encountering this?

[LAWS](c)
A player must not take a quick throw-in after the lineout has formed. If the player does, the quick throw-in is disallowed. The same team throws in at the lineout.[/LAWS]

I take that to mean that when there are two players from each team, the QTI is no longer an option, blue players on their own can't stop a QTI this way.

very common misconception

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Agree - players think only 1 side can stop it.

Personally I think, since the QTI remit got expanded, there should be a way for the kicking side to prevent it - by forming up.

Or the law should say a QTI should be taken "without delay" or somesuch.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Or the law should say a QTI should be taken "without delay" or somesuch.

I think you can enforce this under existing Laws -
(g) says they have to form a lineout and (d) says without delay and once formed it stays formed.

([LAWS]
(d) When the ball is in touch, every player who approaches the line of touch is presumed to do so to form a lineout. Players who approach the line of touch must do so without delay. Players of either team must not leave the lineout once they have taken up a position in the lineout until the lineout has ended.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line

(g) Failure to form a lineout. A team must not voluntarily fail to form a lineout.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line[/LAWS]

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
A thing that I am starting to see is that the non-throwing team think they can prevent a QTI by forming up for a lineout, on their own. .... Anyone else encountering this?
Yes. And to get it clear in my head, I queried it with a WRU coach at a meeting. In a nutshell, a LO isn't formed until there are at least 4 players formed up in 2 lines - ie minimum of 2 players from each side.

The throwing in side can keep their options open a bit by refusing to form a LO. But if they take the piss, there comes a point where they could be liable for a FK for "delaying the formation" of a LO.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hi menace,
Just tried to PM you. Won't let me, can't imagine why !?
Ah ha, worked it out ???? I've changed my email address and updated RR , Hense probation status. Probably?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
No, it's because the Mods hate you.
Mwahahahaha

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Browner...your PM inbox is full so you can't receive anymore PMs. It may also be the reason you can't send any.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes. And to get it clear in my head, I queried it with a WRU coach at a meeting. In a nutshell, a LO isn't formed until there are at least 4 players formed up in 2 lines - ie minimum of 2 players from each side.

The throwing in side can keep their options open a bit by refusing to form a LO. But if they take the piss, there comes a point where they could be liable for a FK for "delaying the formation" of a LO.

There's irony for you...

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but the irony has gone over my head I'm afraid. :biggrin:

The side seeking to speed up the game by taking a "quick throw-in" is penalised for delay.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Blue lineout throw. Bluue hooker has ball in hand on line of touch.

2 Blue players approach the line of touch and 2 Red players do likewise.

However, only 1 Blue player makes it to the line of touch. The other stops short and takes up the receiver position.

Blue hooker throws in ball at 45 degree angle to his #10.

Play on?

Ronald

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Blue lineout throw. Bluue hooker has ball in hand on line of touch.

2 Blue players approach the line of touch and 2 Red players do likewise.

However, only 1 Blue player makes it to the line of touch. The other stops short and takes up the receiver position.

Blue hooker throws in ball at 45 degree angle to his #10.

Play on?

Tough question so early in the morning...first question would be how did blue 2 get the ball? If he picked it up after it was kicked out, or got it from the player that carried it into touch, I would guess play on, as the minimum requirements for forming a lineout wasn't met. If blue 2 received the ball in any other way, disallow the quick throw and have blue throw in at proper LO.