Quick wins with Assessors

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As I get assessed more and more the higher I go, I am finding big differences in assessors and their written assessments, and wondered if there are any common themes that run through the match observer community I am unaware of.
I originally understood this to imply that the assessors at the higher levels were less consistent in their comments - which I think was Simon Thomas' view. Ian Cook takes it to be a statement that assessment at higher levels are different from those at lower levels. Given the different starting points, I agree with both responses.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I think it can be helpful to understand the background to a game, league positions, recent form and past encounters between the clubs. But would not make assumptions based on this, it's really just grist to the rugby mill. But it can highlight potential flashpoint issues - and if it kicks off the question may be, were you not aware that this was a high risk game?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If polishing puts you in a sweat, try this one. After a game give your boots a wash with plain water (DON'T wash them in soapy water as it seems to dry them out) using a cheapy scrubbing brush. Scrunch up a sheet of newspaper and push it into each boot to absorb the moisture. I put mine on the rack over the Rayburn ie don't dry them in direct heat. Before they've dried out properly give them a quick wipe over with Saddlesoap (you can get it in any equestrian shop etc) using a piece of old sponge. Use the same scrubbing brush to work in the Sddlesoap and put them back over the Rayburn. Obviously this only works with leather boots.

If it takes you more than 7 minutes - you're doing it wrong. :biggrin:

Taff

Exactly what I have done for years after training, playing and now reffing.

Wash off boots at club under tap or hose, fill with newspaper & into a plastic bag, into boiler room (Mrs T would kill me if my boots appeared anywhere near her Aga !) along with Mrs T and the two Miss T's riding boots, gaiters, chaps, and assorted bridles. Saddle soap and polish everywhere, so lots of "brownie points" to be earnt doing some of their horsey kit along with my boots.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
We were not always assessed, and when we were, we never knew who our assessor was. They would not make themselves known to us, and usually, the only way we knew we were being assessed was if we happened to spot someone we knew from our Referee Association meetings, wandering about somewhere near the sideline holding clipboard. Most times, the first inkling we had was when he approached us after the match!!

How times have changed!!

Thats the way it goes here. First you know an assessor is coming to your game is when you see his smiling face as you arrive at the ground.

I had an upgrade test in a semi final and didn't realise it (or that one of my AR's was one of the assessors) until after the game when I was congratulated on my upgrade.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Taff

Exactly what I have done for years after training, playing and now reffing.

Wash off boots at club under tap or hose, fill with newspaper & into a plastic bag, into boiler room (Mrs T would kill me if my boots appeared anywhere near her Aga !) along with Mrs T and the two Miss T's riding boots, gaiters, chaps, and assorted bridles. Saddle soap and polish everywhere, so lots of "brownie points" to be earnt doing some of their horsey kit along with my boots.

I thought your butler cleaned them, Simon! :pepper:

Merry Christmas from one of the great unwashed (not my boots though :biggrin:)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I don't find the OP's observation at all unusual Simon. I would expect an assessment of an L5 referee to read a lot different from that of an L12 referee. I would liken it to the difference between a Primary School student's end of term report and one from a secondary school student. While I don't know the Levels in England well, I would expect an assessor at L5 to be looking for some extra and different things, i.e. if an L5 was getting the same "work ons" that he was at L12. surely that would be a real cause for concern.

Just to clarify - different Report Forms are used for Panel/L5, development/exchange, normal Society (different assessment or coaching reports) and ELRA Stage 3 to reflect exactly what you say Ian. The focus ranges down from factual evidence based assessment of control & communication, plus non-compliance on technical areas, through a balance of management and technical, to more development and coaching advice at Society / ELRA3 levels. So of course the content will have a different emphasis and complexity of technical views, but overall the basics remain the same. Of course a L5 would not have the same work-ons as even at L7/8.

What will vary is the experience and report writing capability of the assessors at different levels - and my point is that at Panel, Group & Federation levels we have passed RFU Assessor courses and attend training meetings where report writing is covered. So by L6 you should see good consistency. At Society level, there may be quite a lot of difference between Societies depending on how active the SADO, how often he holds training / convergence meetings and critiques submitted reports with feedback to assessors.

Now this really surprised me.

We were not always assessed, and when we were, we never knew who our assessor was. They would not make themselves known to us, and usually, the only way we knew we were being assessed was if we happened to spot someone we knew from our Referee Association meetings, wandering about somewhere near the sideline holding clipboard. Most times, the first inkling we had was when he approached us after the match!!

How times have changed!!

It will vary Society to Society of course, but RFU strategy is to have an inclusive development relationship between referee and referee coach / assessor, and not an us and them situation. It is no longer the 'secret' assessor arriving 10 minutes before kick off in all weather gear with a clipboard. At all levels the assessor should introduce themselves pre-match - it may not always happen but it should.

At the lower levels it may be last minute anyway (as matches get cancelled, referees re-appointed, etc) but at Panel / L5 assessors are appointed well in advance on the same paperwork as the referees (see here). A similar pattern is follwoed in our Federation. Also we try to make sure all Society development referees and all exchange referees assessors are appointed a month in advance, and we have just started to publishing those on the online WhosThe Ref apointment system.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have always contacted the referee beforehand - usually on the Friday evening so as to avoid any last minute changes. On the rare occasions when I couldn't get hold of him I have made a point of finding him at the ground well before the start of the match.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Occasionally I give my assessor a lift to the game. Debrief in the car on the way back.

I have only once become aware of being assessed "covertly" when he annouced his presence at half time. He had turned up right at kick off so I was unaware 'til HT drink.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
The only time I was late for kick off (traffic accident delay of over an hour) I was looking at an ELRA2 ref, which was a change of plan from previous, he did not know I was going, but was apparantly very pleased when I introduced myself at half time, apologising for being late - though I was aware that some of the players recognised me and tipped him off during play... which I felt demonstrated that he had built a reasonable rapport with them in the first 20 minutes...

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
On exchanges this season, I have not once known who the assessor was before he came over to introduce himself whilst I was usually warming up.
A couple of time they had caught me whilst I was about to get changed.
To be honest, I picked up quite a few exchanges last minute because one of our L7 Referees was about to become a father, and couldnt risk being away from home, and I was easily able to travel.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I once got delayed by a flooded road plus ill-marked detour and arrived 15 minutes after the kick-off, but the referee knew I was going to be there - just wondered what had happened.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
On exchanges this season, I have not once known who the assessor was before he came over to introduce himself whilst I was usually warming up.
A couple of time they had caught me whilst I was about to get changed.

Sounds as if the Societies and assessors involved have a more relaxed attitude to the admin & the formality of the referee / assessor pre-match meeting than we have in the South West.

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
When a first team player (in the last century) we had about 10 - 12 referees we had regularly, all well capable and knew the game. We could tell within 5 mins if one was being 'watched'. The attitute and way of refereeing changed dramatically, often to the detriment of the game and the enjoyment of the players. I assume the assessor had introduced himself prior to the game and the referee knew of his being their. As a player (admittedly a flanker living on the edge) these games were not as enjoyable as when the assessor ws not there.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Panel and Group L5s are watched most weeks, so an assessor being their has little effect at those levels.

I think what you say was correct in the past, but these days certainly development squad refs are see regualalry so just get on with it.

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I wouldn't like to think I referee any differently when being watched.
To be honest, I have only done 2 games this season where I havent been watched, so I forget I am miked up most of the time.

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
After having been seen by a referee coach who lifes just down the road from me, we travelled to & from the game together and de-briefed on the return journey. I personally found this preferable to sitting in the clubhouse de-briefing.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I wouldn't like to think I referee any differently when being watched.
Exactly. If I'm honest once the game is underway, 99% of the time I don't even notice any spectator, coach or assessor.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but I'd like to think that I'm concentrating so much on the game, that everything else is irrelevant.

Last edited: