Quick wins with Assessors

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
To our esteemed Assessor/Match Observer colleagues on here.

Are there any specific things you look for in a referee that are easy for the referee to do, that are usually overlooked by referees?
Are there any thing that referees do often that drive you mad either before/during/after the match.

I am not talking about during the game necessarily either, as that should be a given.

I am not looking to cheat the assessor in any way, just wondered if there is anything I can do to create a better impression

As I get assessed more and more the higher I go, I am finding big differences in assessors and their written assessments, and wondered if there are any common themes that run through the match observer community I am unaware of.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Be first to the breakdown, manage the breakdown, control the scrum. Talk to players and don't stand still.

Just the simple stuff.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Be the first to the bar, manage the issues, control the conversation. :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Good question upandunder.

I am disturbed to read that you perceive your assessments being less consistent as you climb the grades. I would expect, and find in our Society, Federation and certainly at Group Level 5 there is a remarkable consistency. We attend meetings, training and actual matches as a group of asessors to compare notes and deliver that consistent of approach. We observe /assess assessors (evidence gathering, match review and de-brief), read the referee Assessor feed-back forms, and grade them (at L6 and L5 we are graded in the same way as referees), we review a sample of reports and critique them, and take remedial action with assessors who are not following the RFU guidelines.

Some tips from my perspectiv (and just a few thoughts off top of my head) - OB, DaveT etc may have others :

Pre-match :

1.Do background research on both clubs' recent matches - read their web site reports, look at the league table, look at your postmatch notes from when you reffed them both in other matches re their styles and your good/bad points reffing them.

2. Have you had the assessor before - if yes re-read his report on you; if no, ask other refs about him - his style, his idiosyncracies, his pet area (we all have them and mine is pro-active preventative calls not re-active preventative 'white noise').

3. If your Assessor has not called you by Thursday evening, call him (not just a text or email) to confirm kick off time and venue plus demostrate you have already done your homework on the upcoming match re the teams, league positions, etc)

4. Arrive BEFORE the assessor, and at least one hour before the match. At L5 referee arrives 90 minutes pre-match and assessor at least one hour before kick-off.

5. Meet and greet assessor, have a bit of banter but don't give away your "areas to work on". If a first time meet with this assessor credentialise yourself, but don't talk yourself up. Talk about rugby topics in general, let assessor know when you have agreed you are doing each teams' studs, FR briefings and skippers briefing toss. Agree when you want to have radio test with assessor - usually 15 minutes to go. At that time ask where assessor will be positioned at kick off for radio check signal before you start. Agree post match de-brief time and location.

6. Arrive in #1s or Society / Fed / Group tracksuit, warm up fully, 'get into the zone', and look professional at al times.

The Match :

1. Referee as you normally do, no special efforts.

2. Key things an assessor is likely to look for :

a) Overall control of match - are you proactive, anticipating events, etc. Are you empathetic to what players are trying to do, are you spotting trends, etc ? This is the overall context in which the asessor will then assess specific parts of your performance and law knowledge. This is the most important thing I look at which is integrated with communication. Set out your standards in first 10 minutes at each phase of play and don't compromise them. Get it right in reeasing control or clamping down deending on match temperament. What are the key challenges ref faced in the match - did they change as match progressed, how did referee dreal with them ?
b) EFFECTIVE communication - whistle, signal, preventatives (with colour & #) only when needed (no whote noise), interaction with skippers, downtime chat with players, etc. Are you using ATP, do you escalate to warnings, YC based on trends, are you decisive and is judgement sound.
c) Selling your decisions to players and crowd. Not getting into debates about decisions.
d) Breakdown (THE KEY PART) - tackler away, ball release, arriving players thru gate, transition to ruck. Players on their feet, allow a contest, manage offside lines clase in AND in backs, manage guards. Penalise early. Keep moving, keep managing. if it becomes a MUCK stop early
e) Mauls - get both sides, remove players as necessary, no hands on oppo legs, early PK for collapse.
f) Scrum - CTPE at your pace, no pre-engagement, binds up and long, no early push, keep it static, keep back-rows bound and manage scrum halves at all times. 5m both sets of backs at al times.
g) Line outs - no pre-huddles, they decide numbers, metre gap every time, scrum halves and oppo to thrower al 2m, hooker throw in quick, no early jumps, watch for obstructing lifters, 10m on both sets of backs, arm signal consistent and correct (when ball leaves line of touch).
g) Advantage - offer only when available, consider then crisp arm and full call (scrum advantage blue), remind with arm & verbally if still playing it. Good loud OVER call. Is timing correct for scrum and PK advantage. Correct judgement re tactcal / territorial gain.
h) Open play - manages offsides, retreats of players ahead of kicker, etc
i) Positioning - is referee in right place at all times to see play unfolding and any material offences. Sprints away from breakdowns to next contact, third person to arrive at contact, open wide positions to see across pitch, not focussed on the ball, in line for forward passes, in goal positioning for tries.
j) General - appearance smart, looks fit, looks efficient, moves quickly around pitch.

Post match :

1. Look the part, look confident and controlled even if you think you had a car-crash match. Smile, talk to players, coaches, spectators in the clubhouse.
2. Do not be rushed into the de-brief. Sit and reflect in changing room post shower, get your thoughts together. Only go to assessor when you are ready.
3. De-brief is two way - both of you should give views. A good assessor will get you to talk and he will add his thoughts. Donot be dominated, ask (politely) for examples and evidence to back up assessors observations (but don't confront or challenge directly).
4. Be open minded not defensive and leave assessor with a positive impression - if he doesn't summarise the de-brief then you should - and emphasise the positives !

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks Simon, very useful information.
You didnt even mention coloured boots or undershorts:clap:
Could this be stored on the site somewhere for quick reference?

With regards to the inconsistencies I have encountered.
Up until this season, I had only been assessed a handful of times, always by my own society assessors.
This year I am on our Federation, and have had a high number of exchanges, and have noticed the differences in reports more than anything else.
Not all of them have included match stats to back up the comments in the report, and the depth and quality of the reports vary, which I expect as not all assessors are the same.
It does vary from society to society, and assessor to assessor quite a lot.
The comments from the assessors on the whole are consistent week to week, and generally reflect my strengths and the areas to improve which I am trying to work on.
My assessments so far have been at L8 and L7 this season, so I havent encountered a L6 or L5 assessment yet.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
to be very clear COLOURED BOOTS AND/OR UNDERSHORTS may result in a glass ceiling at L7 or L6 depending where you are in the country.

If you have only ever had your Society assessors then you may find some differences with exchange assessors in other Societies, but it is suprising Federation ones vary - they should be attending training / meetings to get consistency. At Federation there should be evidence (match stats) to support the comments made, but it will depend on how strong the Fed's FADO and admin is. Certainly a L6 Federation report would include stats at least.

You will not get a L5 report until you are on Midlands Group, or a L5 trial match when being nominated for Group.

As I have said many times before the standards of referees and assessors/referee coaches goes up exponentially from L8 to L5. Many very good referees never get higher than L7, as it is a competence and performance based pathway, with less & less places available as you get to L6 and beyond.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
what about socks round your ankles?

not appropriate for any Society Referee in my book - poor turn-out.

I am of the "branding & presentation" standards school and if a Society Referee cannot be bothered to take care with his appearance (same attitude to polished boots) then it indicates his/her attitude may not fully committed.

Correct clean Society kit (which includes shorts & socks where offered - which HRURS does thanks to Deeps hard work) is important. It is something I am proud about in my seven year Chairmanship of Hampshire we got right, with most members wearing Society shorts and logo'ed socks. This has elicted numerous comments at matches and in conversations / writing / email after the matches, at Clubs Meetings, Committee meetings and from exchange clubs and assessors.

It does matter.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have to admit I do pull my (plain black) socks up.... reluctantly .. when I played they were always down.

... but I have never once polished a rugby boot, and nor do I think I ever will !

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
... but I have never once polished a rugby boot, and nor do I think I ever will !

There is a perfect justification for bringing back National Service................or the birch (and we are back to Kings Cross again) :biggrin:

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

I always make sure my boots are polished, and also match the jersey I am wearing.
Blue Jersey = Blue boots
Orange Jersey = Orange boots
White Jersey = White boots.

Accessorising correctly is very important.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There is a perfect justification for bringing back National Service
I did National Service and would definitely NOT use the same polishing technique on rugby boots.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
I always make sure my boots are polished, and also match the jersey I am wearing.
Blue Jersey = Blue boots
Orange Jersey = Orange boots
White Jersey = White boots.

Accessorising correctly is very important.

I hope you're joking! Who can afford 6 pairs of boots (two sets for each colour; firm and soft ground)? Can you buy me a car please?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If polishing puts you in a sweat, try this one. After a game give your boots a wash with plain water (DON'T wash them in soapy water as it seems to dry them out) using a cheapy scrubbing brush. Scrunch up a sheet of newspaper and push it into each boot to absorb the moisture. I put mine on the rack over the Rayburn ie don't dry them in direct heat. Before they've dried out properly give them a quick wipe over with Saddlesoap (you can get it in any equestrian shop etc) using a piece of old sponge. Use the same scrubbing brush to work in the Sddlesoap and put them back over the Rayburn. Obviously this only works with leather boots.

If it takes you more than 7 minutes - you're doing it wrong. :biggrin:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Kick most of the mud off, wear them in the shower, hang on line when get home and the rub over with an old pair of tights when dry.

If it takes more than one minute you're doing something wrong.

PS - I never mentioned the shower thing, OK. :D

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Pre-match :

1.Do background research on both clubs' recent matches - read their web site reports, look at the league table, look at your postmatch notes from when you reffed them both in other matches re their styles and your good/bad points reffing them.

I find this of interest. I studiously avoid looking at things like league ladders lest it affect what I see on the day (ie team A should beat team B in a romp so I'll take it easy).

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I am disturbed to read that you perceive your assessments being less consistent as you climb the grades.

I don't find the OP's observation at all unusual Simon. I would expect an assessment of an L5 referee to read a lot different from that of an L12 referee. I would liken it to the difference between a Primary School student's end of term report and one from a secondary school student. While I don't know the Levels in England well, I would expect an assessor at L5 to be looking for some extra and different things, i.e. if an L5 was getting the same "work ons" that he was at L12. surely that would be a real cause for concern.

3. If your Assessor has not called you by Thursday evening, call him (not just a text or email) to confirm kick off time and venue plus demostrate you have already done your homework on the upcoming match re the teams, league positions, etc)

Now this really surprised me.

We were not always assessed, and when we were, we never knew who our assessor was. They would not make themselves known to us, and usually, the only way we knew we were being assessed was if we happened to spot someone we knew from our Referee Association meetings, wandering about somewhere near the sideline holding clipboard. Most times, the first inkling we had was when he approached us after the match!!

How times have changed!!