Quiet weekend

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
one think I noticed was : a player lost control of the ball, and stuck a foot out to kick it as it fell.
this is a scenario we have discussed here before ...

knock on given (correctly in my view) with the referee explaining that you can't save a knock on by kicking the ball :)

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I noticed somewhere (can't recall which game) a player losing a ball forward and slapping it backwards without regaining possession and before it hit the ground or another player.
Should this be a knock on also?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I noticed somewhere (can't recall which game) a player losing a ball forward and slapping it backwards without regaining possession and before it hit the ground or another player.
Law definition of a knock-on requires the player to catch it, so I would say still a knock-on.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Technically yes, but it would be a hard sell to get players to believe you. By slapping backwards with a hand they could claim "I still had possession"

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Knock-on for me. If for no other reason it is then in keeping with how we adjudge the knock-on to kick situation mentioned abive.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so if the ball ends up bouncing/landing 5m behind the player after the slap, you'd still sell a knock on?
Note Im not saying that technically you would be worng - but I'll wager you'll have 30 players thinking "WTAF?" !! :)

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
so if the ball ends up bouncing/landing 5m behind the player after the slap, you'd still sell a knock on?
Note Im not saying that technically you would be worng - but I'll wager you'll have 30 players thinking "WTAF?" !! :)
Yes and yes

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Yes and yes
Agreed. The law book definition is quite clear from my perspective. If he knocks the ball forward, he must catch it before it hits the ground or another player to avoid a knock-on. Knocking it backwards, even behind the original spot of knock forward, isn’t enough.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I wish I could see the law book as being as clear as you say!
I suppose it depends how you read the bit about hitting the ground or another player!!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have never, ever, never (did I say ever?) seen an elite referee give this as a knock on. Until I do, its play on for me

On that basis then you also don't penalise players for all flopping off their feet at a breakdown, putting the ball into a scrum at the 8s feet, etc, etc.

I don't want to see any grass roots referee letting things go like they do at the top level.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have never, ever, never (did I say ever?) seen an elite referee give this as a knock on. Until I do, its play on for me

As dirty as feel saying it...

I agreed with Dickie E:

I think I'd have less trouble selling it as I would the converse.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This was the FRA-IRL match, I think. (Penaud?) There was a lot of direction off the ref to keep the game flowing, take the PK decisions quickly, and just get a move on to keep the game flowing - so it would seem contradictory for him to then pull them up on this play.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
This is related to the LRZ knock-on/Liam Williams try scenario. I believe "everyone" (maybe not Welsh fans) agreed that it was actually a knock-on.

There is another example somewhere in this forum that I remember seeing... I'll go digging.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
This is related to the LRZ knock-on/Liam Williams try scenario. I believe "everyone" (maybe not Welsh fans) agreed that it was actually a knock-on.

There is another example somewhere in this forum that I remember seeing... I'll go digging.
Yes it was. Nigel O (whinI believe is also Welsh:)) thought it was in his WR youtube film.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I think the subtle difference here though is that in this example the ref decided that the ball wasnt knocked forward in the initial contact and only ever went backwards rather than initially forward and then slapped backwards.