[Law] Re start not 10 and into touch

Lancsbarts

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hi
Had the situation in an U14's game at the weekend where the restart at half way didn't go 10m, bounced and went into touch .without being played by either team

Gave an option to the receiving team for re kick or line out on half way, they took the line out.

Not sure if the option was correct but seem to think line out on half way was, just looking for feedback.

Cheers,

Andy.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'm pretty sure the LO option only exists if the ball is kicked directly to touch. Yours bounced to touch.

In your case, personally I would have just given the Kick Again / Scrum option, but I'm happy to be corrected if needed.

Last edited:

SirChris

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi
Had the situation in an U14's game at the weekend where the restart at half way didn't go 10m, bounced and went into touch .without being played by either team

Gave an option to the receiving team for re kick or line out on half way, they took the line out.

Not sure if the option was correct but seem to think line out on half way was, just looking for feedback.

Cheers,

Andy.

Law 13.8 taken directly from the laws app

[FONT=&quot]The ball must land in the field of play. If it is kicked directly into touch the opposing team has three choices:[/FONT]

• To have the ball kicked off again, or
  • To have a scrum at the centre and they have the throw-in, or
  • To accept the kick.
[FONT=&quot]If they accept the kick, the lineout is on the half way line. If the ball is blown behind the half way line and goes directly into touch, the lineout is at the place where it went into touch.

going from that I think you were correct[/FONT]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did the ball cross the 10m after it bounced , before it went into touch? If so kick is good. Line out.

If not options , kick again or scrum . (Not a lineout as it bounced, so the touch part was ok, its the 10m bit they failed on)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hi

Cheers,

Andy.

Lancsbarts - I assume from your description ball didnt reach the 10m line at all...so apply 12.6 (2018 law book)
"The ball must reach the 10-metre line. Sanction: The non-kicking team has the option of the kick being retaken or a scrum"

Lancsbarts

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks all. Looks like the overriding factor is that as the ball didn't cross the 10m line, that is the failing by the kicking team, so option of re kick or scrum on halfway, regardless of the ball going into touch.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
There used to be verbiage about playing on if the non-kicking team played the ball first.
This has gone in the rewrite.
Does this mean you cannot play on even if the non-licking team gains an advantage.

Also it seems odd that the non-kicking team are not offered the option of accepting the kick, i.e. taking the line out.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There used to be verbiage about playing on if the non-kicking team played the ball first.
This has gone in the rewrite.

No, it is still there. Second half of this sentence.

[LAWS]Law 12.7
If the ball reaches the 10-metre line but is then blown back or if an opponent plays the ball before it reaches the 10-metre line, play continues.[/LAWS]

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
something I'd never realsied...

If the ball does not go 10m and enters touch

- kick again or scrum if it bounces
- kick agaiun, scrum or lineout of its on the full.

never coitoned onto that before although "I knew" it if that makes sense.

what doesn't make any sense if the difference between bouncing and on the full! Its still gone < 10m

(and yes, I appreciate that on the full could have gone 49.9m !)

didds

didds