Real Friends of the Rec

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the REAL Friends of the Rec? As opposed to...? The Judean People's Front?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes - disgraceful what is taking place in Bath

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I joined a while back. Reminded me of the "Have a heart save Thomond Park" campaign

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
what exactly are they proposing that has prompted this?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
what's happening?

Guys, the rec is only worth saving as a premiership rugby venue because the view is lovely. In all other respects, it is a worthless millstone around the necks of Bath Rugby, and it needs to go. I speak as an ex-member and player whose Godfather appears on the honours board of committee men.

Quite apart from anything else, the interests of Bath Rugby are contrary to the stated interests of the RealFriends.
to speak for the citizens of and visitors to the World Heritage City of Bath who wish the Recreation Ground Bath to continue to serve and host the sporting and cultural life of the City of Bath as it has successfully done in the past but in accordance with the needs of today's players, users, spectators & audiences of games & other events on the Recreation Ground.
The rugby pitch and stands take up almost half of the available recreation ground. Parking is a nightmare. Get rid of the accoutremnets of Premiership rugby, and the Rec can actually be used by the people of Bath for recreational sport - rather than for sitting in cramped open accommodation watching bath Rugby do its stuff.

The rec must remain a sports ground, of course, but there is no doubt about that as far as I know. London Irish, Wasps and several others have shown that playing where you did in 1872 is not a requirement for first class rugby. Bath Rugby would benefit from developing a modern stadium with parking facilities out of town, ideally with enough land for the amateur teams to co-locate. I don't think funding is a problem - the isssue is one of attachment to heritage only. There are not many worse reasons for spending millions and violating the charitable purpose of an important piece of land.

IMHO:wait:

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Seems like an odd situation to me, and I'm surprised that it's dragged on as long as it seems to have done.

How about something up on the hill near the University Campus?

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree with Dixie, think of the fans and move on for Christ's sake!