Receiver joining lineout before throw

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Thanks RobLev :)

I can see the point of this... though I am uncomfortable with it. If the attacjkers put 4 players in a crocodile line at the inside centre channel rather than the normal 1, there is no law to prevent it.

A tactical switch to a 3 man line after numerous 7 man lines may give a tactical advantage elsewhere. But also has the risk of losing the lineout and then having a numerical disadvantage of the catchers then drive.

didds

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Law 19.8(e):

[LAWS]If the team throwing in the ball put fewer than the usual number of players in the lineout, their opponents must be given a reasonable time to move enough players out of the lineout to satisfy this Law.[/LAWS]

If the non-throwing team are "fannying around", then they're perhaps taking more than a reasonable amount of time? Other than that, though, the Law is there - if the defenders get no advantage, then FK against the throwers on the 15.

What is the lineout? The two rows of players waiting to receive the throw or the area containing the 'players participating'?

If it's the former then as soon as they step away from the LoT then the throwing team has given them enough time. Or should the throwing team have to wait until they have retired the full 10m?

How this scenario is managed depends on your answer to the questions above.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What is the lineout? The two rows of players waiting to receive the throw or the area containing the 'players participating'?

If it's the former then as soon as they step away from the LoT then the throwing team has given them enough time. Or should the throwing team have to wait until they have retired the full 10m?

How this scenario is managed depends on your answer to the questions above.

I'd have thought that the Law requires that the defending side be given a reasonable time to get its extra players out of the lineout and into a legal position - ie 10m back from the LoT (or, of course, 2m if one of them takes up the receiver's position). If they dawdle, they get pinged (subject to advantage, of course).

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
wedgie, why must the blue s/half have joined the line before the throw?

He can join it AFTER the throw... and a reasonably weighted 5.1m throw would be easily intercepted by a player standing ~ 2.5 metres from the LoT.

Didds

I raised the scenario at this month's Society meeting and the consensus was that blue 9 would have to be really, really quick to make it to the LoT from 2.5m back starting after the ball had left the hookers hand. In my particular scenario the hooker threw a flat, spin pass, so v. unlikely that blue 9 was legal. But I am of the opinion that a reasonably lofted pass could pass muster.