Red card for a trip

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had a rare chance to watch a U16 game today . Roughly 10 minutes left, one player from each team are chasing down a loose kick, attacking player falls over. Hand on heart I didn't see what caused it.
Ref produces red card and after the game confirms that he told the player there was no choice in law for a trip but to send the player off.

So can someone enlighten me? Where does that come from? 10.7d says sanction is PK. I take that to mean YC or RC can also be used depending on circumstances

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Had a rare chance to watch a U16 game today . Roughly 10 minutes left, one player from each team are chasing down a loose kick, attacking player falls over. Hand on heart I didn't see what caused it.
Ref produces red card and after the game confirms that he told the player there was no choice in law for a trip but to send the player off.

So can someone enlighten me? Where does that come from? 10.7d says sanction is PK. I take that to mean YC or RC can also be used depending on circumstances

I don't believe there is a Law stating that you must RC a player foot-tripping an opponent, however there may be directives within individual National Unions.

Regardless of that, IMO, its a RC everytime. A foot-trip is always intentional, and always dangerous.

It not the act of bringing down a player by his feet that is dangerous, as we allow ankle-taps; its the "bone-on-bone" contact and potential for breaking legs that makes it dangerous.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hardly. Seen plenty of falls due to players getting feet tangled. Particularly kids.

Players getting their feet tangled when they are running is not a foot-trip; its players getting their feet tangled.

I am talking about a foot-trip; that is where a player is running, and another player hacks his feet out from under him, using his own feet to do so.

Have a look at this video from 1:40 to 1:46, at which point James Small foot-trips Christian Cullen (who scores anyway)

Small's actions are an automatic :norc: in my book....all day, every day!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I saw an u15 trip yesterday, and ref .. An off duty society ref .. gave no card at all.
I don't think the penalty this offence has been standardised , there is no IRB memo on it for instance

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
au contraire mon ami, they just haven't sent it to you :tongue:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
must have been something in the air, had a "off duty" Soc ref yesterday send a guy off for a trip (U13's :wow:), i did suggest it should just be a forced sub, but he was adamant (it was their team not mine!), made a point after of saying he'd had issues with this player in the past and that he needed to learn the impact his actions had on a team!

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
... (U13's :wow:), i did suggest it should just be a forced sub, ...
There's no support of "forced substitution" in England for U13 up - not that it doesn't have a place.

(Just thought I ought to mention it.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's no support of "forced substitution" in England for U13 up - not that it doesn't have a place.

Agreed.

Although with rolling subs a bright coach will take it into his own hands -.

In my U15 match yesterday things got a little feisty and I had a 'word' with a prop making it clear (without painting myself into a corner) that he was right on the cusp of leaving the field, and I was going to be watching him carefully. This conversation was observed by the coaches, who immediately subbed him.
He came on again about 5 mins later, much calmer :smile:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Agreed.

Although with rolling subs a bright coach will take it into his own hands -.

In my U15 match yesterday things got a little feisty and I had a 'word' with a prop making it clear (without painting myself into a corner) that he was right on the cusp of leaving the field, and I was going to be watching him carefully. This conversation was observed by the coaches, who immediately subbed him.
He came on again about 5 mins later, much calmer :smile:

(Klaxon!!!!!!!!!!) Oxymoron alert!!!!!!:biggrin:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Yep, with you on that, but as it was a friendly and there were 6/7 subs stood freezing on the side line i thought the sub option could have been used :wink:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I tend to agree with Ian, and view trips the same way I do spear tackles.

I start at red and then consider other mitigating circumstances. A little ankle flick may get treated differently to a Norman Hunter 5 yard slide, studs showing.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
a Norman Hunter 5 yard slide, studs showing.

and don't forget Ron Harris, Peter Storey, Dave Mackay, Tommy Smith, plus the nasty ones who would leave a boot-in like Bremmer / Giles.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
and don't forget Ron Harris, Peter Storey, Dave Mackay, Tommy Smith, plus the nasty ones who would leave a boot-in like Bremmer / Giles.

Ah 60s football. This is always good for a laugh. I wonder if Ken Aston was slated for spoiling this game by sending people off? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
never seen that before. that's frightening.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
What really alarms me most here is that an earlier, bang to rights attempted trip earlier in the game, where a deliberate and cynical attempt was made to kick the legs from under a player wasn't penalised at all because "He didn't bring him down"!

Seems to be a level of inconsistency here

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Who felt insulted that Coleman said "We've got a Rugby game here"?