Ref signals

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I am new to refereeing, and I am struggling with correct signals.

Can someone please advise the signals for the following:

Playing the ball on the ground
Incorrect numbers in the line-out
Lifting tackle (foul play)

Is there a resource available for this?

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Ball on ground is signal 25 if you mean use of hands, signal 9 if you mean holding on, signal 14 if you mean falling over ball

Incorrect numbers, I normally just point at the offending line, then the non offending line as I run to the 15m and say something like "numbers 7 against 6:

Lifting tackle, as per other foul play signals 37, 38 & 39 I would "mimic" the action - generally both hands with clenched fists describing a parabola

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Welcome to rugbyrefs.com

Here is a link to the signals on the iRB Laws website

http://www.irblaws.com/EN/signals/

or you can download the whole 2012 Laws of the Game from here

http://www.irblaws.com/downloads/EN/IRB_Laws_2012_EN.pdf

Signals are at pages 176- 189

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Greig, Level 4? I thought we only went up to Level 3 in Oz?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Greig, Level 4? I thought we only went up to Level 3 in Oz?

Playing grade perhaps? That would be 4ths here... two levels below Senior Reserves

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Given he is one of my brothers from Sydney North, I'm guessing he means Tier 4

In Sydney we have 5 active Tiers of Refs - beginners like my son are at Tier 5 (doing Under 10's/Under 11's). Most experienced are Tier 1 doing Under 16-Under 18 and representative games.

In Sydney North there are about 20 Tier 1's (although some don't referee for us anymore as they are off doing senior grade or schools) out of 170 or so members. There about 35 Tier 4's.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
G'day Greig,
welcome to the forums.

Since like myself you're "struggling with correct signals", (albeit you are reffin' youth rugby) my advice is this :
Learn the basic signals well - (getting the first 8 in the iRB signals document to be automatic is a good start.) Honestly at our level just mastering the difference between a penalty (arm straight out at 45°) as opposed to awarding a try (vertically straight up) is progress. Poor signalling near the goal line leaves on-lookers scratching their heads, as to whether or not a try has been awarded or not. Far more important (to my mind) is to speak confidently (audibly) to the players, so there is no doubt as to why you've blown the whistle.
Playing the ball on the ground.
Incorrect numbers in the line-out.
Lifting tackle (foul play)...
So following the mantra :
Whistle, signal (one of the basic signals) then say out loud the offence.
  • "Playing the ball on the ground!" : Penalty offence. Whatever a player does must be in accordance with the Laws of the Game (I like Law 7)
  • "Incorrect numbers in the lineout!" : Free Kick on the 15-metre line 19.8 (c)
  • "Dangerous tackle!" : Penalty 10.4 (e)

Do remember, letting the game flow is important too. Obviously bremain vigilant for any dangerous play (high tackles etc..) but given poor skill levels (at my level anyway - (eeks perhaps in Oz they're all genius) ) of players, they may quickly become frustrated if you whistle every minor fault. Coax them to respect the laws of the game, it difficult at first, since the game can get out of hand if you don't penalise infringements. (I guess I may well get slated now by more competent referees on here ; for not adding "Blue6". ~shrug~ To my way of thinking, each level has it's own requirements. I equate secondary signals with Senior/Junior rugby where players are more knowledgeable.)

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

I reiterate the welcome already extended. Since Robbie Burns moved to the Antipodes, the number of refs on this site from that part of the world has increased dramatically - hopefully to the benefit of all, but certainly to the benefit of all long-standing members of UK origin. Perhaps Robbie needs to take a contract in the US so he can also work his magic there?

The signals in the Good Book do not (as you have noted) cover all scenarios, so all other signals are going to be non-uniform. Sites like this can help to provide a certain amount of continuity, as does the experience of watching TV refs. But in the end, you have to be as clear as you can in the circumstances you find yourself in.

Playing the ball on the ground Assuming no ruck or maul, the signal commonly used in my experience is a 90 degree elbow, forearm parallel to the ground, palm up, with the hand being elevated to indicated "get up".
Incorrect numbers in the line-out There are a limited number of FK offences at the lineout, so in most cases the fact that it is Numbers is obvious from the timing of the whistle. But otherwise, you need to indicate it. I don't think there's a standard - how about counting on your fingers?
Lifting tackle (foul play) This sounds like the spear, dump or tip tackle. The signal is to mime the grasping, lifting and spearing of the player. Both arms are used in this signal, which is pretty much the same as grabbing a bucket and emptying it.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Given he is one of my brothers from Sydney North, I'm guessing he means Tier 4

In Sydney we have 5 active Tiers of Refs - beginners like my son are at Tier 5 (doing Under 10's/Under 11's). Most experienced are Tier 1 doing Under 16-Under 18 and representative games.

In Sydney North there are about 20 Tier 1's (although some don't referee for us anymore as they are off doing senior grade or schools) out of 170 or so members. There about 35 Tier 4's.

So who does the Adult games? NSW Suburban RU has about 55 Clubs and boasts that is the largest centrally organised rugby competition in the world. So that would mean about 27 games each weekend... who refs these?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
numbers in the line out -- for the players benefit I'll call it oud loudly so they can hear.

For a signal -I hold up one hand with the number of fingers there should have been (normally only need one hand for this)

It's probably still a little bit of a puzzle but if there is a coach on the far side of the pitch, out of earshot, wondering what the FK was for, I reckon that in the context, given the timing and holding up fingers probably enables him to work it out.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I am new to refereeing, and I am struggling with correct signals. ... Is there a resource available for this?
Yes. Click HERE.

Bear in mind that there isn't a signal for every offence you can think of.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Nice one Taff,
That link reduces my suggestion of 8 signals to only 6. Do other referees agree then? - that given that it's Grassroots rugby, that simply signalling either "free-kick" or "penalty", as the case maybe, allows a Newbie (like myself) to concentrate on what's happening in front of him, rather than worrying about what sort of secondary signal is required? That and learning to manage minor infringements by having a word the first time, before penalising repeated infringements, can create a more flowing game.

Any extra enthusiasm our OP member may have, might be better invested in brushing up on the Laws of the Game, which apply in each particular case :
[laws][/laws]On the subject of levels ; Got caught out with this before over on the Junior Rugby (U19 - U13) forum. Where poster was talking about "Leinster schools rugby", kids who will go on to play for the Ireland squad.

Last edited:

Davet

Post Likes
When watching a grass roots ref I will note each penalty and FK, time, against whom, phase of play, and what it was for.

I need the ref to let me know what he gave it for by using a secondary signal - if he doesn't then I may not be able to record it accurately and have to put something like

"63:30 P R12 T Not Rel??"

The more I have to put question marks the more irritated I become.

Selfish and petty, of course.... but

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Hello Davet,
I understand. But at my level, I'm lucky to have Touch Judges.
Certainly no assessors making helpful comments on any of my games.
It's more important that players know what the ref's call is, than any passing dogwalker briefly looking on.

ps. Perhaps if Greig is hoping to rise thru' the ranks then he will need to adapt to that way of thinking.

Last edited:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
So who does the Adult games? NSW Suburban RU has about 55 Clubs and boasts that is the largest centrally organised rugby competition in the world. So that would mean about 27 games each weekend... who refs these?

27 games ???? ha ha ha

Each of those 55 clubs has from 4 plus colts (Division 1) down to 1 team each (Division 6). Plus there is a mid week Under 85kg competition. This means about 120 senior games to cover each week. This is the level down from Premier, which is another 4 senior grades and 3 grades of colts.

These are covered by NSW Rugby Referees. There are a lot of dual affiliated refs who are members of both NSWRRA and one of the Sydney junior bodies and ref for both

Last edited:

Davet

Post Likes
So - who refs them?

I'm only asking 'cos when you mentioned the levels all you talked asbout was age grade rugby, who does the grown ups?

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Hello Davet,
I understand. But at my level, I'm lucky to have Touch Judges.
Certainly no assessors making helpful comments on any of my games.
It's more important that players know what the ref's call is, than any passing dogwalker briefly looking on.

ps. Perhaps if Greig is hoping to rise thru' the ranks then he will need to adapt to that way of thinking.

As a referee coach/assessor in Greig's association I'd like to see some good secondary signals.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The way refs come up here is thatyou start with juniors (and 90% of refs stay there) and then if you are perceived as having the ability and desire, you get invited to come and referee seniors and join NSWRRA. A lot of refs choose not to, as it means you have to go to central fitness training,and also be open toa centralised appointments system - where you may be sent to a game 4 hours away. The problem is that you will see some very very good referees running around in juniors who really should be doing seniors but don't.

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks for the replies.

As Craig advises I am tier 4 which means I ref juniors up to U12. In reality I referee up to U16 if needed - if the alternative is for a dad or coach to do it.

I think the secondary signals are important, it keeps the coaches happy, and helps calm the more anxious spectators. But I am concerned that there is not a decent reference for the more obscure signals for those of us keen to keep the dogwalkers properly informed.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thanks for the replies.

As Craig advises I am tier 4 which means I ref juniors up to U12. In reality I referee up to U16 if needed - if the alternative is for a dad or coach to do it.

I think the secondary signals are important, it keeps the coaches happy, and helps calm the more anxious spectators. But I am concerned that there is not a decent reference for the more obscure signals for those of us keen to keep the dogwalkers properly informed.

Hey Greig , where are you at this weekend? I'm doing an Under 15 at Drummoyne. Got State Under 15 Champs at Eastwood next weekend