[Assistant Referees] Referee A Floodlit Game

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
For a first time referee under lights what advice is suggested ?

Hydration could be one .

Effects on eyes looking up at high ball,etc.

Appreciate comments

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
depending on the quality of the lights, biggest issue likely to be shadows

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For a first time referee under lights what advice is suggested ?

Hydration could be one .

Effects on eyes looking up at high ball,etc.

Appreciate comments

Make sure the lights are in before you start !

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
As Dickie noted, the biggest difference I found was with shadows. Depending on the harshness of the lights your eyes might struggle with the contrast (mine used to, anyway).

You shouldn't be looking up at the ball when it's kicked high - nothing interesting's going to happen up there ;)

seanaodh

Level 3 Ref (IRFU)
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I did my first game under lights recently and there were a couple of differences.

* Watch (Spintso ref watch) was less easily visible sometimes with the shadows. Make sure to know how to use the backlight.
* As previously mentioned, looking up at ball would be glaring, but you don't need to be looking there anyway.
* Shadows can be a big of an issue, so I tried to move around more at ruck time just to be sure to see everything.

The biggest difference I found was that the game started so late in the day. I'm used to morning/early afternoon and so making sure your energy and concentration levels are up by the time the match comes around is key. I took it pretty easy for the day in preparation and had a pack of jellies with me before the game for an extra energy boost.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Unless they are brand new LED lights (unlikely) they can take anything from 15 minute to an hour to "warm up" to full brightness. So make sure they are turned on in plenty of time.
Some clubs are reluctant to turn them on until the last minute due to the cost of running them.

seanaodh

Level 3 Ref (IRFU)
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Unless they are brand new LED lights (unlikely) they can take anything from 15 minute to an hour to "warm up" to full brightness. So make sure they are turned on in plenty of time.
Some clubs are reluctant to turn them on until the last minute due to the cost of running them.

That's an important point. If they're not on a good few minutes in advance it can prevent you doing a decent pitch inspection too.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I refereed under new floodlights a couple of years ago. They were not very tall and an issue was players (and me!) losing sight of the ball when it was kicked in the air. Also noted issue of shadows when looking at my watch. TBH felt the lights were OK for training but not really up to a game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Out of interest , anyone ever abandoned a game because of bad light ? And if so was that by agreement all round, or as the referee call?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I have agreed to a shorter game - 35 mins each way - when it was likely that it would be dark and cold and wet at the end (as it was dark and cold and wet at the start)

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Out of interest , anyone ever abandoned a game because of bad light ? And if so was that by agreement all round, or as the referee call?

Never in a rugby match, almost all matches KO at 11AM and 1PM.

I have called off a field hockey match I was refereeing. FH uses two officials, we decided together, the coaches were told of our decision, though they agreed, not sure what would have happened if they disagreed.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

Yes. My call, agreed by both captains - could hardly see the posts at the far end in the fading light. No issues. About 70 mins as I recall.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
You shouldn't be looking up at the ball when it's kicked high - nothing interesting's going to happen up there ;)

Good sound advice..... under lights or not.
Delay turning to follow the direction of the kick for a few seconds also to observe the kicker and any potential foul play (late hit etc).

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Our rules are simple:

Ref considers conditions are OK BUT either side (or both) does not wish to play / continue. Game does not go ahead / continue (referee Puts a report in explaining).

Ref decides coditions are not OK game does not go ahead whatever the teams want. (again a report is put in by the referee).

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Our rules are simple:

Ref considers conditions are OK BUT either side (or both) does not wish to play / continue. Game does not go ahead / continue (referee Puts a report in explaining).

Ref decides coditions are not OK game does not go ahead whatever the teams want. (again a report is put in by the referee).

I would presume that's universally agreed!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Ref should only make the decision to abandon a game if he considers the conditions are actually unsafe. . (and indeed if he thinks that then he must abandon the game)

which is perhaps what you meant by 'not OK' but I think it's worth spelling out

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
perhaps the nuance is that in such a scenario (ref thinks it is unsafe) the ref refuses to ref _the_ game. _A_ game may go ahead anwyay through the connivance of both teams, just not with the appointed ref, who would presumably report that point ie unasfe, not reffing.