Referee podcast

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Hi all

Back in the autumn, I did a trial run of a new podcast for referees off the back of my RugbyReferee.net website.

Called the Advantage Over podcast, I did 5 episodes to get a feel for the how and whether it works. I looked back at the numbers and have had over 2,000 downloads, many since mid-September when the last one went out. Which shows me there's a demand for it.

So, Im planning to get back on the audio and record again on a more consistent timeline.

But I need you help! Suggestions of guests to interview, Or subjects you want to hear about.

In the 5 episodes we looked at: the Global Law Trials, Concussion, the Women's Rugby World Cup and Referee Fitness.

Who do you know that'd make a good guest from your neck of the woods? Especially keen not to here too many plummy English voices! I have contacts with the pro refs, but want to keep this "real" as well - so the educators, or personalities from grass roots refereeing as well.

Any of you lot up for it?

Let me know either here or via keith@rugbyreferee.net

Thanks in advance!

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi Keith,
Good effort.
I would Certainly be interested in listening. I download a couple of rugby podcasts on a weekly basis to listen to in the car.
I certainly have time for another one.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Topic suggestion s
. Simplified Law Book
. Collisions in the air , how to ref them
. Tmo protocol
. Stud inspections

One other thing .. i listen to quite a lot of podcasts, I don't know of a single podcast that wouldn't be improved by being shorter!
This is increasing the case as people listen to more of them
Whatever length you have in mind, halve it .. ideally some of that after recording, by editting

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'd think about a listeners' questions special
What is involved in running a Referee Society - I don't know what my experience as a President is like compared what SimonT had to do.
I'd be interested in hearing someone who is just south of Elite: what was their journey like to get there, and how does it feel to be there?
What's the referee experience like in different countries?

Ideally, I'd like a blend of insight into top level stuff, mixed with lower down, grass roots "real" referee issues - how to handle abusive sidelines, for example.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
why do players do what they do - an insight into what refs think is wierd/odd/cheating but why players do it.

eg BC hand on the ball in a ruck. (that's a really banal example :)

In terms of "how to referee scenario X" I'd suggest be careful... as we see here some scenarios can have up to at least three official different interpretations (I'm thinking generic WR, SA and USA), or are just open to personal interpretation, so you'd need to point out that in Coiuntry Y tjis is what happens, but in country Z something different is required... and/or here are two opposing viewpoints of the scenario etc.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Unless you are looking for fan-boy listeners (which you may be of course :) keep everything pertinent wrt elite/near elite refs ... their training, their future path, their post-retirement plans etc,why teh elites blow differently to the alw book etc. Avoid "puff" pieces, sycophancy, and stories aboiut their dog when they were twelve etc

didds

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
One thing I think would be interesting to hear about is why mauls (formed strictly as per law) are so often called tackle only by the ref, with the right for the bc side to recycle the ball.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Thanks all - good stuff and food for thought.

With one exception via email, no suggestions from anyone on potential interview guests from your part of the world. Anyone spring to mind?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Me. MeMeMe. Apart from that: Paul Bretz from SoCal who is leading a mini revolution against HO.
There's no-one I trust in a position of authority at USA R, transparently. All the good work is done at local levels.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Great work Keith.

Perhaps - bearing in mind your experience - and insight into the role of a TMO (especially bearing in mind the controversies that sometimes surround the TMO involvement)

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi Keith,

I can’t suggest any particular individuals who I would be interested to listen to. However, there are certain concepts which I would like to hear about. Hearing from Pro Refs would obviously be of interest but so would the tier below, such as English Championship and Div One or Scottish Premiership etc.

Topics to consider:
Pro Refs -
- weekly routine
- CPD
- managing the different interpretations at the top level of the game
- managing pressure
- relationships with ARs and use of TMO
- fitness
- routine on match day
- life on the road (overseas)
- camaraderie amongst officials both within the national set up and during major competitions e.g. World Cup,7s, Commonwealth Games
- womens elite game
- hearing from elite female Refs; do they have a different perspective,dealing with pressure etc
- did they play the game, at what level, how did that help or not

Tier 2 refs:
- managing career and refereeing at very high level
- managing the interface in law interpretation between 5he Pro game and the rest of the rugby world (especially at the breakdown)
- how they use ARs. Is this different from the Pro game
- those who ref at Elite level one week and then Tier 2 the next week. How is the game managed differently

Lessons from their experience
- how to manage dissent
- managing continuous infringement
- controlling bad tempered games
- a section on “if You had been told one thing when I started out refereeing what would it be” i.e. nugget for mere mortals and those starting out

Others may disagree, in which case don’t rip my suggestion, put forward your own ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Keith,

I can’t suggest any particular individuals who I would be interested to listen to. However, there are certain concepts which I would like to hear about. Hearing from Pro Refs would obviously be of interest but so would the tier below, such as English Championship and Div One or Scottish Premiership etc.

Topics to consider:
Pro Refs -
- weekly routine
- CPD
- managing the different interpretations at the top level of the game
- managing pressure
- relationships with ARs and use of TMO
- fitness
- routine on match day
- life on the road (overseas)
- camaraderie amongst officials both within the national set up and during major competitions e.g. World Cup,7s, Commonwealth Games
- womens elite game
- hearing from elite female Refs; do they have a different perspective,dealing with pressure etc
- did they play the game, at what level, how did that help or not

Tier 2 refs:
- managing career and refereeing at very high level
- managing the interface in law interpretation between 5he Pro game and the rest of the rugby world (especially at the breakdown)
- how they use ARs. Is this different from the Pro game
- those who ref at Elite level one week and then Tier 2 the next week. How is the game managed differently

Lessons from their experience
- how to manage dissent
- managing continuous infringement
- controlling bad tempered games
- a section on “if You had been told one thing when I started out refereeing what would it be” i.e. nugget for mere mortals and those starting out

Others may disagree, in which case don’t rip my suggestion, put forward your own ideas.