Referee Respect?

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Quoted from:

PSA TO THE CROWD

You don’t have to boo Ben O’Keefe every time he is on the screen.

O’Keefe and the referees have come under fire over the past week but when they (especially O’Keefe) are getting booed as they walked onto the field, doing warm-ups and after every penalty, it crosses the line.

We’ve now had a situation where three games in a row before this had at least one team have a crack at the refereeing after a loss.

It sets a dangerous precedent and paints a bad picture and example for the rest of the game

If the Referees/BOK is being booed as quoted, that is pretty poor.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Irrespective of a referee's performance he should not be booed.
We all do the best we can, at our repective levels. The top boys are better than us. Same as players, the internationals are better than the grassroots guys but all try their best. YES there must be robust evaluation and retaining / demotion if required. But booing is out of order.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It's a deflection tactic to alleviate the pressure on the coach and team.

How much attention is being given to the fact that OF acted like OF and caused the PK to move forward 10m? The captain, fer Gawd's sake. That's being glossed over because the attention is now BOK.

The nature of the dialogue is now about Our Brave Boys in White being undone by Forces Outside Their Control.

It was one of the worst games of rugby at that level that I've seen for a while. I've derided SA for a while for FdK being nothing but a box-kick merchant; it seems only appropriate that the same courtesy is extended to England. I think the only time I heard Tuilagi's name get mentioned was when BOK gave him a telling off.

More and more teams are going to deflect in this way. Watch the EPL pressers and post match analyses. That's where we will be in fairly short order.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
How much attention is being given to the fact that OF acted like OF and caused the PK to move forward 10m? The captain, fer Gawd's sake. That's being glossed over because the attention is now BOK.

r.
We all noticed that in England !

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
More and more teams are going to deflect in this way. Watch the EPL pressers and post match analyses. That's where we will be in fairly short order.
"going to" ? they already are!

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's a deflection tactic to alleviate the pressure on the coach and team.

The nature of the dialogue is now about Our Brave Boys in White being undone by Forces Outside Their Control.

It was one of the worst games of rugby at that level that I've seen for a while. I've derided SA for a while for FdK being nothing but a box-kick merchant; it seems only appropriate that the same courtesy is extended to England. I think the only time I heard Tuilagi's name get mentioned was when BOK gave him a telling off.

No deflection required here, England were woeful and just didn't perform, never mind perform well enough to win! I did keep hoping that England would pull it off but recognise that not troubling the scorekeeper will see a game move away from you. So quite happy with your observation about worst game for a while, the stats are quite insightful. All competition:
  • Tuilagi and May only 2 clean breaks each all competition:sleep:
In the semi final:
  • Only 3 clean breaks total, all! by SA🥱
  • Tuilagi made 3m, no defenders beaten😖, remember previous wrecking ball displays?
  • Mitchell carried for 1m 😖😖😖😖
  • >40 times they kicked the ball away, 17 from Mitchell, 12 from Farrell, 6 from Care🤷‍♂️
  • recovered 11 of them :rolleyes: and then?
  • Carries: Steward - 46m, Lawes - 43m, Earle - 23m and Curry - 21m with only Curry offloading once
  • B Vunipola , 2 handling errors, no carries.
This stems from coaching and selection and a hope of wining by not losing, Arundell got 5 tries in one game and we see no more of him, only Jordan (8 not out) and Penaud (6) have scored more, imagine what England would do with Will Jordan.

But being objective and this being a ref's forum, there were issues, in my mind with some of the decision making. I got berated for a simple statement and offered a bit more objectivity here but no further discussion was forthcoming. So I would encourage a response rather than just complaints that refs are being bashed.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not going to help England‘s cause with several players retiring from international duties or moving to France. Then again, Borthwick may just use that as justification to write off the 2024 6N and start blooding a new pack of younger players.

And although it wasn’t an exciting match, I was happier to watch that than some 30 pt drubbing.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not going to help England‘s cause with several players retiring from international duties or moving to France. Then again, Borthwick may just use that as justification to write off the 2024 6N and start blooding a new pack of younger players.

And although it wasn’t an exciting match, I was happier to watch that than some 30 pt drubbing.
England don't help their own cause and I am trying not to put a player analysis on a ref's forum but.....

It's not about blooding youngsters it's about the game that is being enforced.

See omission of Arundell after scoring 5 tries, leaving Hassell Collins (36 tries in 74 appearances) and Radwan (22/54) still at home, Theo Dan being unused sub on bench for 3 games. Discussion limited to considering Farrell or Ford @10 and playing Smith @15

I am certain that at their clubs these players play differently. I cannot believe Mitchell (28/90 tries/games) would only run for 1m when turning out for Northampton and whilst there is a very real step up they are not really being stifled by lack of skill or ability. The game plan is clear to be seen, is negative and England will not progress if they persist in consistently kicking ball away.

I cannot think of another team that had such little desire to run the ball! Portugal, Georgia, Japan, Chile all great to watch. Yes they were turned over by the big teams but they all applied endeavour and fought to win, ok maybe score one try, rather than trying so hard not to lose.