referee shortage

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
As to why only 3, I suspect that Her Indoors may have other plans for Saturday afternoons, bearing in mind that Sundays are taken up with youth rugby.

but that surely doesn;t make membership of their society rdundant?

Or is there really (generally speaking) a case of "you are a society member; you are expected to ref on saturdays?"

cheers

didds

madref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi

We have a panel referee who has done 2 level 9 games and 1 level 10 this season, when he has been on standy by for the RFU. The week after the level 10 and one of the level 9 games I was referee for one of the teams.

Needless to say one side coach said to me, you where ok sir but the ref we had last week was a different class!. Is he new to the society we have not seen him before.

I then pointed out to them who he was, the penny clicked.!

We also have a few refs who will not do lower level games which I think is a shame. Although saying that they will do the end of season cup competition for lower leagues 2nd - 7th teams!

I always wonder if that is becuase there is usually a lot of people around and the just like the limelight!

David

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have been reffing at my local club on sundays to cover anything from u10's to colts but have realised that there is not allways enough qualified refs to do games on sundays. so with the clubs backing have just gone round all age grades to get the parents and coaches to take or retake the new elra course and just by explaining that its better to have someone that has taken the course and understands the safety and laws of the game for the mini's juniors my responce was that on the first weekend i went around i have now nearly 20 parents/coaches etc to do the course in march at our local club.
and with a bit of backing would like to think some or most of them will decide to join the referee society.l

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Or is there really (generally speaking) a case of "you are a society member; you are expected to ref on saturdays?"

Membership would not be redundant, Didds, but as the Society generally doesn't appoint to youth games (and even if it did, would want to spread these refs around, whereas the refs would want to be on the same park as their sons), the only real advantage would be access to the training meetings - but the clubs can send people to those anyway.

Now that ELRA imposes on the Society an entry process involving assessment and guidance, I suspect Berks at least would find it hard to accommodate these numbers, particularly if they all said "and by the way, we can't do any of the games you may want to appoint us for".

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
dixie - thanks for the info

didds

nobackchat

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Shortage? Yes of experienced referees; not of referees. Believe me I know the difference as my first game in January was an eye-opener! I said my apologies to the referee gods for ever yelling at a referee as a spectator and have doubled up the studying and scenario-playing and now feel more comfortable. But all referees must have a first game...I diverge but here are some additonal thoughts...

I just went through level 1 certification with a horde of people, but I think that most are related to the burgeoning youth program where each club must proffer up a referee candidate. Note that I heard that SoCal youth program is procuring its own referee slate since they didn't want to pay referee dues and not get referees as the low priority in the union heirarchy. I for one am answering the call from the youth administrators, but to be fair the phone has not been ringing from the referee society. Go figure.