Refereed my first match today.

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
Today I refereed my first competitive match, and following the various bit of advice given on here (see thread http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?15061-Just-starting-to-referee ) I said I would report back...so here it is.

I awoke early and collected my ref things together...various items as avised on here and elsewhere, boots, kit, whistle etc all times 2. I don't think I have been as nervous as I was this morning in a long time...

I arrived at the ground nice and early (a bit too early probably...nerves again) found the captians, confirmed timings etc then sat in the refs changing room and made a few notes of what I wanted to achieve, not that I could read the notes which the match is on, bit I thought it might help me remember. This is what I came up with:
  • Positioning. Keeping up with play and being in the right decision.
  • Whistle and signal. Make sure my decsions are clear to the players
  • Enjoy myself!

Got changes and and went to find the pitch, which was a couple of minutes walk from the changing room.

Arrived at the pitch to find that the home team where not wearing their normal kit, both teams normally play in a dark colour so the home team had switched to their white alternative kit, which matched really nicely with my mostly white refs shirt....so back to the changing room and a nice yellow refs shirt. The benefit of an alternative kit being felt on my first assignment.

Did the pre match stuff, boots, front row chat, coin toss etc. Kept the front row chat brief, most of it revoled around the new Crouch, Touch, Set procedures. This was mostly OK during the game.

Kicked off and match went without major incident and everyone seemed to enjoy the game.

So...big question...how did I do.

After the match I took a few moments to review my pre-match list and compare how I actually did.

My main objectives were as follows:
  • Position. Fitness was OK but sometimes found myself not in the right position because i was thinking about where I needed to be rather than instictively moving into position. I'm hoping this will improve with practice.
  • Whistle/signals. Mostly OK, there was a couple of times during the match when I was not sure I had been clear so repeated myself to make sure and a couple of times where a captain (politely) asked what/why regardign my decision.
  • Enjoy myself. I certainly did (despite the nerves)

The main think not on my list that I considered after the game was materiality. There were losts of pretty immateial infringements of the laws during the game (more than I expected) and only blow were I thought I had too. I was thinking that perhaps I shoudl have blown a bit more earlier on to set the tone and lead to a tidier game. Then when I was in the bar after both captians commented that the appreciated me trying to let the game flow....so now I'm not sure.

I am now looking forward to my next assignment in two weeks time, in the meantime advise and comments still very much wanted.

Andrew

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Kicked off and match went without major incident and everyone seemed to enjoy the game.

So...big question...how did I do.
I think this says it all - you had a good game.

The main think not on my list that I considered after the game was materiality. There were losts of pretty immateial infringements of the laws during the game (more than I expected) and only blow were I thought I had too. I was thinking that perhaps I shoudl have blown a bit more earlier on to set the tone and lead to a tidier game. Then when I was in the bar after both captians commented that the appreciated me trying to let the game flow....so now I'm not sure.
materiality is not something you need to worry too much about in your first season. This sounds like a "clear and obvious" issue - was that ball really tipped forward by blue in the lineout before being caught by red? If you're uncertain - don't blow that whistle. If it WAS tipped forward and Red set it up cleanly, perhaps that's advantage over before you even have the time to mention it.

Last edited:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
The most important thing IMO is to ENJOY what you are doing, the more you do anything the easier it becomes, so get out and referee as much as pos, enjoy and all will become good in the end:pepper: Do at least 10 games and understand how you see your style of refereeing progressing before you start to analise anything, If you want to do any work on your game, learn the deffinitions in the law book, you will need those for the rest of your refereeing career:hap:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
well done Andrew.

The key thing is that the two skippers and teams were happy and enjoyed their match. Plus that you enjoyed it.

Don't over-analyse and review things at this stage - just get 10-15 matches under your belt and accumulate experience.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It sounds as if you did well. Make notes from your games so that you can review them later, but you are now gaining experience, so leave detailed analysis until you have that experience behind you.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My main objectives were as follows:
  • Position. Fitness was OK but sometimes found myself not in the right position because i was thinking about where I needed to be rather than instictively moving into position. I'm hoping this will improve with practice.

I echo what everyone else has said.
For your first game, no one died, the best team won (I assume), and the players had a good afternoons fun. If you enjoyed it as well, that's a bonus.

Regarding positioning, what you describe is fairly normal for your first few games. You stand admiring the rugby, then think "oh sh1t, I should be over there".
This will improve with experience. Move with the ball rather than following it.
Remember "Happy Feet", which means stay on your toes and keep your feet moving. Don't allow youreself to sit back on your heels.

Well done. :clap:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Sounds like it went well. Good advice above, and I can't disagree with any of it. Do more games. Are you going to be observed? That would be useful.

Regarding time of arrival - get there an hour before kick-off and you will be fine.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOmed ! Davet agreed with posts, the end is nigh

Davet

Post Likes
OK - though if pushed I might disagree with the "do 10 games before you analyse anything". Have a think after each game, and make some notes for yourself - just don't get over analytical and go into detail at this point - stick to the big picture.

:booty:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Thats better, I now have faith that the world will last for another day :pepper:

Davet

Post Likes
Sorry. My initial agree with everybody approach was just a bit of lazy Sunday morning attitude. I will do better.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Andrew. Well done on taking your first match. If I have the fixture list correct, you made an excellent choice of club to visit for your first time in the middle - one of the friendliest. Your appointment on 29 September should be tasty though :)

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Everyone,

Refereed my second game today. (Couldn't ref on the 8th and my game on the 15th was called off). Reviewed my list of things to work on from last time and focussed on those. Certainly improved my positioning, and was earlier at the breakdown than last time. Really enjoyed it this week, was a lot less nervous and am now looking forward to next week, dispite Colesy's comment that it might be 'tasty'.

Andrew

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Really enjoyed it this week, was a lot less nervous and am now looking forward to next week, dispite Colesy's comment that it might be 'tasty'.
Fantastic! looks like you've got off to a flying start.

If next week's is indeed "tasty", here are a few thoughts to help in controlling it.

1) deadly rivals tend to wind each other up. The low-level stuff eventually escalates into the mass brawl. Often, when looking back over a train wreck, we find ourselves regretting that we didn't stop that non-throwing hooker telling his oppo to try to get it straight this time; or we didn't stop the scrum halves jostling each other at the put-in (why can't the non-feeder be a meter to his oppo's left?); or the props nudging each other's heads at the Crouch - Touch phases. Stop this nonsense early on, and tell them the only game we are playing today is rugby.

2) if it gets feisty nonetheless, tighten everything up. Reduce advantage, put a quick end to untidy breakdowns, keep eyes in the back of your head

3) on that point, at dead time (ball kicked into touch etc) run backwards to where you need to be so you can see the sly elbow digs.

4) when you spot a miscreant, if you are concerned about the game getting out of control, don't feel you have to give a warning before carding. The YC in particular is a management tool, which means you use it as a short sharp shock to put an end to incipient problems. The more you bottle the card, the more the problems will get away from you. The YC is your friend; don't be scared to use it.

5) Obvious punch up, and you know who was involved: put 'em both in the bin. If you've had a mass brawl and you aren't sure who kicked it off, card anyone you see running in to get involved when they weren't originally part of it.

Hopefully, you'll never get to 4 and 5. But if you do, it's only your fault to the extent that you haven't had enough experience yet to navigate a course through these difficult waters - which means it's the Society's fault. But they have confidence in you - go out and do the job. Stay strong, stay confident, and keep talking to the captains about their responsibility to keep their team focused on the game.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Refereed my second game today. ... Really enjoyed it this week, was a lot less nervous and am now looking forward to next week, dispite Colesy's comment that it might be 'tasty'.
A friendly word of warning - if / when you get a couple of good games and you feel yourself getting relaxed DON'T get complacent. Frankly, I think a bit of nerves to keep you on your toes is a good thing. Others may disagree, but when you get too complacent, you get lulled into a false sense of security .... and that's just when things bite you on the arse. By all means enjoy it, but don't get too relaxed.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Hi Everyone,
Really enjoyed it this week, was a lot less nervous and am now looking forward to next week, dispite Colesy's comment that it might be 'tasty'.

Andrew

Andrew, I'm sure you'll have a great time next week. The home team captain however will be in your ear all afternoon if you let him. My mistake, I know, but I let it get to me the last time i reffed them and it developed into the closest I've had to a car crash match. We live and learn.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The home team captain however will be in your ear all afternoon if you let him.
Our little chats are a privilege, not a right. It means we can communicate on matters of mutual interest. It is not an invitation for you to tell me how to referee the game, and if you keep trying that I'll have to withdraw your privileges.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Our little chats are a privilege, not a right. It means we can communicate on matters of mutual interest. It is not an invitation for you to tell me how to referee the game, and if you keep trying that I'll have to withdraw your privileges.

Thanks Dixie. That's a line I'll keep in my armoury for future use.