Referees for Championship announced

Leeedwards22

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Im disappointed GG has only got one AR appointment, i personally think he deserved more. Also surprised to see JP hasnt got a single appointment

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
GG has 2 appointments as AR, both in SA.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This is a well balanced set of appointments, and a good balance between experience and development.

GG has done well with 2 AR appointments, why should JPD feature ?

WB was never out of favour, just a different set of development priorities in the short term.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Will these games be played under the new or old Laws?

Just that the NH Refs will be used to using new laws, but in SH these laws are not supposed to come in until Jan.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Also, does the fact that Alain Rolland has 3 games represent that he is considered the best in the world at the moment?

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
And the Wiki has been update to represent these appointments.

Leeedwards22

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Must have missed GG second appointment, sorry guys. I think JPD deserves a least one appointment as an AR as in my opinion he had a good JWC so that is why I think he should feature.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Is there a formal panel list these days, or are we just inferring it from the appointments?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
OB, the last time the IRB did publish a "panel" list, but that was the first for a while. They don't seem to have published a "panel" list this time (yet)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hmm thats one view, another is WB was out of favour ;)
And in the absence of official information, how do you decide? Or, perhaps more importantly, why do you choose to make a firm decision?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hmm thats one view, another is WB was out of favour ;)

My view is based on direct conversations with some of the people involved - please do continue to speculate and rumour-monger that WB was 'out of favour' (whatever that may actually mean, with whom and for whatever reason.)

Last edited:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
My view is based on direct conversations with some of the people involved - please do continue to speculate and rumour-monger that WB was 'out of favour' (whatever that may actually mean, with whom and for whatever reason.)

No its not rumour monger, for what its worth, its not my view ;) Never said it was. People will continue to make judgements and have views based on what they know at the time, is that wrong, no its just their view which they are entitled to have IMO.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No its not rumour monger, for what its worth, its not my view ;) Never said it was. People will continue to make judgements and have views based on what they know at the time, is that wrong, no its just their view which they are entitled to have IMO.
I see it more often as jumping to conclusions.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Im disappointed GG has only got one AR appointment, i personally think he deserved more. Also surprised to see JP hasnt got a single appointment

why? because he botched two rc's, couldn't keep the baby blacks onside, let the pillars up past the last foot almost every breakdown and had a very marginal match in the u20 final?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is there a formal panel list these days, or are we just inferring it from the appointments?

Here is the panel (in the order I think it is ranked as)
1 Joubert
2 Walsh
3 Owens
4 Rolland
5 Poite
6 Peyper
7 Clancy
8 Barnes

Pollock is out after having hip surgery and Garces has been dropped.