Referees Meetings with their Union, Coaches and Players

bcm666

Brian Moore, Ex England International Hooker
Post Likes
I am telling the story below because I believe it represents an approach that is now endemic with some sections of the refereeing community and because it is one that appears, to me, to be happening on many different issues facing the game, from scrums, to appointments and other important issues and the approach of referees individually and collectively to them.

A while back, when I used to be allowed to attend the elite referees meeting at the Lensbury Club before the autumn internationals, I was privy to one session at which international referees discussed the Friday night meetings they had with the Coach or Manager of the teams they were to referee the following day.

These meetings were not mandatory and were not part of any match protocol but had been offered by referees and sought by Coaches in order to discuss the referee's approach to the game. The original intention was that teams would know what the referee wanted and try not to fall foul of him and that aim would be beneficial to referee and players alike.

Referees said that when this was first offered and taken up the meetings discussed matters generally and they answered questions or made points about particular areas of the games and specific laws and situations.

However, what quickly happened was that coaches would come armed with statistics and then videos and laptops which had clips of what their opponents were doing at breakdown, scrums etc. Under the guise of clarification they would ask the referee whether this was legal and what he would do if it happened. This the meetings had become little more than another way to pressure referees and to highlight things they didn't like and ensure they were at least considered by the referee. They were also referred to in post game briefing along the lines of 'we asked for clarification over and consistency about this that and the other before the game and he said this and that but didn’t do it during the game.'

They sat around moaning about it and saying how terrible it was and what could they do about it, although they didn’t actually make any practical suggestions as to what they would do and how and who should do it.

I was invited to comment and I said that I didn't see what the problem was, which drew a few snorts and general derision for my failure to understand their difficulty. I asked whether there was any rule mandating these meetings - there was not. I asked who initiated this tradition and they said they had offered it. I then said bearing in mind they were doing the coaches a favour and they weren’t bound to do it, why couldn’t they simply say this brining of stats, laptops etc had to stop and they would only discuss laws and their approach to specific situations without reference to either team or its players. If the coaches didn’t agree then stop the meetings; they obviously weren't achieving what they wanted anyway.

This was met with incredulity and comments like 'we can’t do that' ' that would not work' when I asked why nobody could give me an answer though many shook their heads as if to say 'you don’t understand.'

When I pressed them as to why they couldn't do this they finally said they would get criticised by the coaches who would complain.

I then said why don’t you complain about the way they have perverted the meetings for their own ends - no answer. I said that if that happened they should issue a press statement explaining why these had been stopped and put the blame where it lay - no, couldn't do that.

That 45 minutes session ended with no resolution to do anything; nobody actually made a suggestion and my approach was not out-argues it was simply said to be impossible.

As the meeting broke up I was moved to say that I has listened with growing dismay at not only the problem they had allowed to occur and the fact that thought they complained bitterly they didn’t seem to have the will to do anything about it and that being the case they should either stop moaning or take some, any,. action. No response.

I can understand that individually they would not take a stand, but they wouldn’t even go with a collective voice to the IRB and tell them that they wanted this issue sorting.

It seems to me that in many areas where referees come into conflict with different parts of the game they feel that they cannot take action to right the wrongs that they see. This may be down to them having no faith in the people at National and IRB level who are supposed to be their managers and that they do not feel they will support them. I understand that but in the end individually and collectively elite referees have to make a decision about certain issues and whether they are important enough or them to make a stand

If, in the end, there is no issue that they feel strongly enough about to do this then however unfair they have to put up with what they get because when it comes down to it they weren’t prepared to do anything about it but talk and moan. If they try and fail that is a completely different matter as they did their best.

That is a general comment and since the dawn of time people have had to make decisions about issues and what to do about them. Sometimes it take guts and the risk of failure and unpopularity to get things changed and I don’t take this lightly and know how hard it can be. Between 1991-95 we fought with Dudley Wood about the amended amateurism rules and were under co9ntwtant threat of de-selection, though nobody knew about it.

As far as popularity goes - do any of you think people like referees as a collective? No, they blame them for everything, stereotype them but in rugby, for the time being, they are regarded as essential and are still afforded a good amount of on and off the field respect.

My point is that risking the unpopularity of coaches and players is not as great a risk as portrayed. These two sets would stab you in an instant if they thought they could get an advantage and win - I know - 'I would have done that because that is what my responsibility was a player - to win. Your responsibility is to officiate and control the game and whilst you can take coaches and players comments into account they should never be anything like a guiding principle because they are made with their interests to the fore.

Take the above issue - if there had been a war of words in the press the referees would have won, because clearly the coaches would have been exposed as taking advantage of their largesse.

With present issues elite referees have to act collectively and demand change and be prepared to take action if it isn’t made. A strike or even a threatened strike would rock the RFU and IRB to its core and if it was handled properly and clear and proper reasons were given for the stand the press would back referees because like me a lot of them think the game is in danger of sliding towards football excess. The majority of the rugby public will support firm action as they see the dangers as well. However, if referees think they will not get blamed if they keep their heads down and just do as they are told, by coaches, players and anyone else, they are completely wrong. They will be blamed and that is not fair but it will be the case.

The one thing I know from all my dealing s with the RFU and IRB is that publicity is the thing they cannot stand against and that is the most effective negotiating tool. In private they will tie you do in subcommittee ad hoc working parties and the like. Public action gets things sorted even if it creates casualties.

At the end of the day if elite referee cannot act collectively, and I have my doubts as to whether they are incapable of this because they are mostly out for theme elves as individuals, they cannot complain.

The question was asked earlier - why should anyone stick their neck out? The answer is they don’t have to but don’t whinge about where that leads you. I have spoken to several football referees societies and I have seen where the failure of collective and individual will leads and I suspect that not many people on here will still be officiating if we get there. Whilst I will understand I won’t sympathise because sometimes you have to fight for things you want.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Its true at different levels of rugby where you wonder if the referee is working with one eye on the laws on one on the opinions of coaches /crowd / public opinion. Corporate culture can be exceptionally strong where appointments are the weapon / outcome!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree with BBerry...

BCM you are right, we referees are hopeless in banding together to enact change over management even when that change is obvious as the nose on our face. It often takes a strong character to speak up for change and takes a stronger politician to work in the background to garner the support they need to actually influence a change. The hierarchy is ruled by the 'old hands' and they are many in number to be a road block if they want to.( Why on earth referees wouldn't just demand a change in the conduct and content of the referee meetings with coaches is beyond me?? )

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Brian - I agree entirely with your post.

If the elite refs feel the are being driven into a corner then they should simply lay down the ground rules for these voluntary meetings.

I would agree that an individual ref might - in a competitive environment - find it hard to put a head above the parapet. BUT -this is not a matter for the refs themselves, rather it is very clearly a management issue - and the referee managers are the ones who should be aware of the issue, and be the ones who should take the lead in sorting it. If the current crop are unable to do their job properly then I would offer (for a reasonable living wage) my own services. The basic principle of management that I adhere to is that the manager should ensure that his team are motivated and able to do their job, and can do it professionally, and without having to accept shit from anywhere, including the manager's manager. That concludes my job application.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
As an example of the tail wagging the dog.. at a meeting the question was asked if, with minutes to go, a SH (both of who had been allowed throughout the game a degree of latitude in the feed) put the ball in a tad more crooked what would you do. A ref said he'd ping for a free kick if it had crossed the threshold of acceptability.

"No" chorused the blazers, "the Director of Rugby would have a terse conversation with you after the match if you pull a rabbit out of the hat that late on" Hang on, replied the ref, if you allow that, the players and DOR's are controlling you. You have tacitly but firmly told them that they have a get out of gaol card when the chips are down late into a match.

How Refereeing Should Be Managed
Referees should be told to interpret the laws as per the law books.
Then our role as a body would be to ensure continuity
If our interpretation becomes at loggerheads with the intentions of particular laws, then the IRB should tell us and reword the law

Simples

Davet

Post Likes
with minutes to go, a SH (both of who had been allowed throughout the game a degree of latitude in the feed) put the ball in a tad more crooked what would you do.

Which is where the problem arises. If some part of the ball is on the central line that is the limit of latitude. And any time during the game that it this is breached is when the whistle goes

"No" chorused the blazers, "the Director of Rugby would have a terse conversation with you after the match if you pull a rabbit out of the hat that late on"

The DoR can have as terse a conversation as he likes - he will get a terse response, and be left in no doubt that of he teaches his players to push the boundaries then its his problem, and his fault, when they overstep them - not mine.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Brian - my fears confirmed, I'm afraid. Thank you for that clear and balanced story. Will that appear in one of your newspaper articles?

This is surely a situation where the RFURU should be trying to sort things out. Presumably their remit is to look after the interests of the referees??

How Refereeing Should Be Managed
Referees should be told to interpret the laws as per the law books.
Then our role as a body would be to ensure continuity
If our interpretation becomes at loggerheads with the intentions of particular laws, then the IRB should tell us and reword the law

Simples
Anything but simples.

This site demonstrates that (a) there can be different interpretations of the law book; (b) the laws contain gaps; (c) the laws contain contradictions.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I am always surprised these meetings need to happen. The teams have lots of video of the refs in question. They know how the ref will ref, and will train around that.

So the meeting only has the purpose of trying to influence how the ref will see things the opposition do.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
OB This site demonstrates that (a) there can be different interpretations of the law book; (b) the laws contain gaps; (c) the laws contain contradictions.

Yes, and as I said that would be our job to sort out.

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perhaps the referees should arive with laptops etc hving clips of the coaches side 'cheating' and discuss them with the coaches. ie if your prop binds here he will be penalised, if you tackler just lies here after the tackle he will yellow carded. etc

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
It happens at all levels. Make a stand and the old farts see you as trouble and end your promotion quickly, i have seen it happen to a number of very good referees.

I mean to show you how stuck in the dark ages they are, some of them even moan about white boots and how it could hold your promotion. FFS some of them need to get a grip and give their head a shake. But unfortunately they have to much of an influence over you.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
It happens at all levels. Make a stand and the old farts see you as trouble and end your promotion quickly, i have seen it happen to a number of very good referees.

I mean to show you how stuck in the dark ages they are, some of them even moan about white boots and how it could hold your promotion. FFS some of them need to get a grip and give their head a shake. But unfortunately they have to much of an influence over you.

Got too agree here with you on that one mate, warmed up last season, left boot fell apart after catching it on a tree stump as stretching on it, only spare boots I had was my bright green footy boots in back of truck. Old boy was heard to comment, "he wont progress far in the Society wearing them." Crazy world we live in.

Davet

Post Likes
So decide

Either knuckle down and accept the shit, or tel 'em to get f*cked and if that means you fail to progress shout about it publicly - I would always take the approach that if "they" think the story so far is "trouble", then they ain't seen nuthin' yet!

TNT88

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Good post. Why should referees be put on trial in a pre-match talk? Coaches can take that crap to open forum referee association meetings.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would always take the approach that if "they" think the story so far is "trouble", then they ain't seen nuthin' yet!
I admire the cut of your jib - but recognise too that while it will get you from A to B with integrity and a certain jaw-jutting style, it won't win many races.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
and where are all these old farts that you all keep talking about ? I have met one or two over the years when refereeing myself at L8 and L9, but not since.

Our Society Committee are all active referees / ARs (at Elite, Panel, Group & Society levels).

All the Match Observers I know are given training and qa checks (observation, report critique and coherence events) at Group, Federation and even Society level (if they come to Training Meetings). Some of my guys in Hampshire are older (most in 60s, and two in their 70s), but two of them are ex A list (Panel Refs), two are retired Group Assessors. I trust their reports and judgement !

In the real world, we Match Observers watch referees' performances, development needs, and potential to progress. Any weird boots, clothing, hairstyles, etc are a very minor issue that may be emphasised by poor performance. Personally I discourage them in the referees' development opprotunity interest, but if they ignore that advice it is their choice.

At my levels we report accordingly on performance, based on hard evidence and referees are promoted or plateau or even drop grade levels based on that evidence/report and a considered objective experienced judgement. We have gone through our own promotoin pathway, assessments, training courses etc to be MOs at the top Society, and flor sure at Federation, Group and Panel levels.

At my level of Match Observing / Advising up to L5 we are trying to get the right candidates up to Panel in a highly competitive rapidly narrowing funnel. Wearing of white or coloured boots, long sleeved under-shirts, cycling shorts etc is up to the individual referee but if you do you may upset some of the traditionalists, or divert attention from your refereeing performance, but it isn't going to stop a high potential referee getting up the pathway, and usually by the time he/she gets there, their choices have usually moderated anyway.

Davet

Post Likes
I'm not bothered about winning any races.

My explain a few issues I've had to deal with, but I can live with that, but not happy to live with the other

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wearing of white or coloured boots, long sleeved under-shirts, cycling shorts etc is up to the individual referee but if you do you may upset some of the traditionalists, or divert attention from your refereeing performance,

It shouldnt even be a consideration or any form of issue IMO. Why is colour of boots ever an issue? I truly dont understand?? Please dont say its a bright colour, or brings attention to you, then ask us to wear a bright luminous shirt.

(I dont do the above just in case)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It shouldnt even be a consideration or any form of issue IMO. Why is colour of boots ever an issue? I truly dont understand?? Please dont say its a bright colour, or brings attention to you, then ask us to wear a bright luminous shirt.

(I dont do the above just in case)
I think it is more a question of the referee's attitude than the colour of his boots. Why did Gavin Henson wear gold boots? Presumably to draw attention to himself. A referee has to be marked as different by the colour of his jersey, but if he is seeking to draw more attention to himself by choice of boots etc, perhaps his mindset is unhelpful. Whether you like it or not, wearing gold boots would be seen as "look at me".