Rehab - Stretched ACL

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have stretched my ACL in the incident described in another thread.

Any ideas for rehab?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Stuart, get down to The Smoke, quick. Simon just offered to take you out to a daily lunch :biggrin:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
ouch, hey, you'll struggle to role your trouser leg up if that knee swells too much:wink:

RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
ouch, hey, you'll struggle to role your trouser leg up if that knee swells too much:wink:

RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)

I've been told by the medics that RICE is for the acute injury - once that swelling has gone down, RICE is no longer appropriate

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've been told by the medics that RICE is for the acute injury - once that swelling has gone down, RICE is no longer appropriate

correct, how long since you've done it?

OVER TO DR STU:D

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have stretched my ACL in the incident described in another thread.

Any ideas for rehab?

Depends what you want to hear!

Personally I would be doing a lot of Jump Stretch resistance training, swimming pool work and heat/cold work.

After I felt comfy with that I would then move onto stability style work. Making sure to focus on light unilateral movements and then building up on these.

I would make sure that I would be doing lots of pool work, I would avoid swimming until comfortable with my knee function. Lots of lateral strides, lunges, reverse strides and maybe some very light holding onto the side and kicking in very small motions.

I would also take this time to build up my ankle range of motion/ strength and calf strength to help with lower leg function.

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Cycling has done wonders for my ACL injury.

But I recommend going to a physiotherapist and getting advice in person.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks guys - good advice. The pool work seems like a good start. As to the physio, I'm working with the NHS here - that means I will have a wait of 4-6 weeks for an appointment.:chin:

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Stuart - can't praise Simplyhealth enough from this end.

Got a healthcare plan through work with them, I think I end up paying about £18 per month, but basically so long as you use an approved physio, you can book in to see them almost immediately.

I had a slight achilles injury a fortnight ago, went into to see the physio on the monday evening after the injury on the Sat, again on the friday, and was advised to rest it for the weekend (thankfully not a league weekend otherwise my appointments sec would have hated me!). By the following Weds was out running touch, and then back in the middle by the following Saturday.

You pay your physio, send off the reciept on a claim form, and they repay you upto 80% of the cost up to a total of £350 - £500 per year (dependant on your policy). Well worth it if you're out refereeing two or three times a week

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks guys - good advice. The pool work seems like a good start. As to the physio, I'm working with the NHS here - that means I will have a wait of 4-6 weeks for an appointment.:chin:
My rugby club membership entitles me to use the club physio on Tues & Thurs evenings at the club - and she's an NHS physio in her spare time. My club is rather smaller and less well resourced than yours!