[Golden Oldies] Reports on Referee post-game on WhosTheRef

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Is there a link to the WhosTheRef match report?
Personally, I take negative feedback as an opportunity to assess myself. Why might this person say such a negative thing about me, or my performance? Often (especially with losing team coach’s) the issue is that individual not taking responsibility for their own failings and laying all the blame at your door.

Don’t let the bar-stewards grind you down, Vovonne. As Zebra suggests, take what is useful and ignore the rest.

Last edited:

Vovonne

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
What a story Shelflife, thanks for sharing it, it's good to know these things can happen, at any level, and not to take it personally. Thanks also for the video tips, will keep it in mind in case opportunities arise. All the best for the rest of the season!

Vovonne

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Is there a link to the WhosTheRef match report?
Personally, I take negative feedback as an opportunity to assess myself. Why might this person say such a negative thing about me, or my performance? Often (especially with losing team coach’s) the issue is that individual not taking responsibility for their own failings and laying all the blame at your door.

Don’t let the bar-stewards grind you down, Vovonne. As Zebra suggests, take what is useful and ignore the rest.

Bonjour l'Irlandais, there isn't a link to the WTR report, as others confirmed only my assessor and me can see it. Merci pour les conseils!

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I listen to feedback from coaches, log it and move on. If a coach with an axe to grind gives you feedback that you don't agree with then move on. If a succession of coaches give you the same feedback (regardless of whether they were the losing coach) then you might need to re-visit this area of the game?

Do you have a referee coach? Someone you can talk to post games etc.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
(snip) two coaches came into my dressing room to talk to me about my scrum management (snip)

Unless you invited them in, this is unacceptable.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Knew it was coming Pablo, I was happy to have the conversation as I knew the law was on my side. I didnt want them saying that I refused to talk to them or explain my decisions to them afterwards.

I was calm and relaxed they were still hurting, still didnt stop them sending in the "report" .

Sad thing is they still havent learned anything from it as I had them again recently and one of the props asked how far they have to push them back before they get a pen !!

One point that Pablo is alluding to is to only have the after match chat on your terms as in when everyone has calmed down.

I had to rush off back to work so I was happy to have the conversation.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... two coaches came into my dressing room to talk to me about my scrum management .

NO, NO and THRICE NO!

Coaches do not enter the changing room to discuss the game.
"Give me time to shower and I'll chat in the clubhouse / or wherever". Here each club is required to have a liaison officer to prevent this happening.

If you are not able to hang arround. "Give me a ring and we will discuss"

Last edited:

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
...but before you go, could you pass me the soap?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
NO, NO and THRICE NO!

Coaches do not enter the changing room to discuss the game.
"Give me time to shower and I'll chat in the clubhouse / or wherever". Here each club is required to have a liaison officer to prevent this happening.

If you are not able to hang arround. "Give me a ring and we will discuss"

If you let them do it to you, you're letting them do it to the next poor soul...

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If you let them do it to you, you're letting them do it to the next poor soul...

What is so wrong with letting them in the changing room? I agree people need time to calm down (referees and coaches) but if I've showered and changed and I'm ready to talk, for me the changing room is the best place (bar is too noisy).

I made the mistake of not adhering to this a few weeks ago and talking to a coach immediately after the game, he didn't like my explanation and kept harping on about the same thing, I didn't like him harping on so kept challenged him on why ask me to explain if he keeps challenging my answer, ending up with raised voices from both sides and an angry exchange, not a great image. A good example of how referees can be emotional as well. A lesson learnt not to be flexible on this, mostly it's to stop coaches getting into trouble but this was a good example to stop me getting myself into trouble.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What is so wrong with letting them in the changing room?
Most referees like to unwind after the game before getting involved in any discussions. We expect our referees to be left alone until after they have changed and joined the crowd. On one occasion I had to shepherd some alickadoos away from the ref as he walked off the pitch. By the time he had showered and joined them in the club house they had calmed down somewhat.

The changing room is YOUR space and they should respect that.