RFU Head of Discipline appeals against one of his own Panel's sentence decision !

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Re: RFU Head of Discipline appeals against on eof his own Panel's sentence decision !

Hardly - James took silk in 2002 from 3 Hare Court Inner Temple and in June 2013 was appointed a High Court Judge and assigned to Queen's Bench Division, getting the usual sword on his shoulder for that. Sports Law is one of his specialities and he has been involved in various reviews for the Rugby League and in 2011 carried out the FA's independent review into the World Cup Bid Allegations.
I've been to the INNS and I believe that particular one has a pegasus. And yes. They are like Hogwarts. I'm at Hogwarts for a X v Large Government Agency. Which is to go before Queens @ Royal Court of justices.
All in all I've got quite used to that particular INN.

:eek:fftopic:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
dental work in the thousands sounds injured to me...

I think OB was referring to the referee in the his neck of the woods, not LSRFUR incident. I saw the photos on Facebook of the LSRFUR incident, and he was certainly injured.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ah, that makes sense!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Life penalties are inappropriate, having some chance of redemption, however slim, is a precious thing.

I disagree. Some 'crimes', be they on the field or in real life, are so far beyond the pale that redemption shouldn't be considered. That's why Judges can hand down Whole Life terms, and we can have Life bans. Cold blooded rational striking of the referee IS such an offence

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I disagree. Some 'crimes', be they on the field or in real life, are so far beyond the pale that redemption shouldn't be considered. That's why Judges can hand down Whole Life terms, and we can have Life bans. Cold blooded rational striking of the referee IS such an offence

I was talking about rugby disciplinaries not hideous criminal offences.

In the context of rugby disciplinaries : I disagree. Life is a long time and should be possible - in theory - to find redemption. What if he serves a ban for a few years and then wholeheartedly wants to make amends and retunr something to the game
maybe he wants become a ref. Or an U7s coach, or club treasurer, or start a rugby club in his local iner city school.
could you not see your way to allow - say - a 45 year old who once punched a referee when he was 27 to nevertheless become an assistant coach for his son's U7.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
No such leniency should be offered to rugby players who physically assault referees. Obviously pushing is not assault, but this was not a push.

That said, in the case of a freak incident such as this, it would make sense to separate the playing of rugby and the enjoyment of it. Ban the perpetrator from playing for life (means life, no appeal). Touch-line ban for a five years, but consider a request for repeal after 2 years, just picking two round numbers.

And above all, respect to the referee concerned for not letting it get him down. I'd like to think I'd do the same thing, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be back the very next weekend with a painful jaw and missing tooth.

Three things strike me here.

1, A push is an assault (a lower entry point on the scale. True) but if a player pushed me I would be reporting him for assaulting an official.

2, You say "(Means life, no appeal).... consider a request for repeal after x years". This has me confused. A person should always have the right to appeal a verdict and / or sentence if he feels it to be wrong / unfair. Clearly an appeal may, in law be restricted to being subject to new evidence or other criteria. Banning any appeal is a dangerous road to go down. On the subject of a possible cancellation (repeal) of the ban. An earlier poster seems to suggest a review of the ban after a period. Again subject to criteria.

3, Agree totally. well done to the referee. If it happened to me I think I might take up fishing instead.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Honestly?

I'd struggle with it. At 27, he's a grown man. A 16 year old? Yeah, mebbes. But an adult? He should be taking on the responsibility for his own actions. That's how life works.