RFU Presidents XV

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
well the e-mail came through a while ago and still nothing on rfu.com so i may as well mention it here. the winner of the RFU Presidents XV award for better referees is...

Chelmsford RFC Referee Association!

(technically, Chelmsford RFC. even more technically me, but i won't get smug)

:pepper::eng::pepper::scot::pepper::eng::pepper:

(for those who aren't in the UK, this award is akin to an MBE. or something :bday:).

anyhow, as you were.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bravo - that's great news - well done keep up the good work.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
saw that you guys at Chelmsford were on the Presidents XV list and thought of you.

Well done to all the club Dave, excellent role model for others to follow.

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
jonesy- basically i buy him a pint nxt time he graces a central meet :smile: oh and he gets to go to hq dinner for a shield

- - - Updated - - -

seriously - congrats dave ( a certain westlist club thought they had it in the bag)

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
B52 Ref - what do you have to do with it? Just wondering, as really no idea!

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Dave - be smug... and enjoy. Well done.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
... and just by way of an update, this was announced at the club AGM last week. not one person approached me after the event to say congratulations (not even the youth coaches who i supply all referees for), but a number did whinge to me about some awful referees they'd had this season (with the expectation that i would defend the decisions despite not having seen them). i cut the club head coach off mid while as i'd had enough.

ungrateful *******s.

others will also have come across this attitude within their wider clubs. how have you sorted it? genuinely interested, as i have no idea how to turn the tide at my place.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Tell them, that if they don't like the refs, they are welcome to not have a ref, and to spend their time reffing rather than coaching? Probably followed by "if you are so ungrateful about volunteers giving up their time to help your charges, why shoudl they do it?" and might ask how they would feel if parents started complaining to them about their useless coaching, bad technique, poor team selections, and never once said thank you.....

But my lack of tact, is why I could never coach!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
"Thanks for that feedback on the referees. I have to tell you I get feedback from them on why they don't like coming here to referee. Maybe best for all concerned if we suspended service for a bit, eh?"

A softer version of that has had a salutary effect on club attitudes to referees around here.

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
Take no notice of the small minded people Dave. At most of the games I watched (when not reffing of course :biggrin:) the coaches were clueless about the decisions made. Mostly the refs were correct.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
well the e-mail came through a while ago and still nothing on rfu.com so i may as well mention it here. the winner of the RFU Presidents XV award for better referees is...

Chelmsford RFC Referee Association!

(technically, Chelmsford RFC. even more technically me, but i won't get smug)

:pepper::eng::pepper::scot::pepper::eng::pepper:

(for those who aren't in the UK, this award is akin to an MBE. or something :bday:).

anyhow, as you were.

Congratulations. Can you send me the email? I believe this is worthy of an article on the front page!

We don't get much praise as referees from outside the referees circle, so this is awesome!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Can you email me a pic of you (pref with the trophy) to add to it?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Does that mean your entitled to a night with the First Lady?