RFU Ref Grades

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Hi all,

I am currently a level 2 WRU ref but have moved to england and am due an assessment game with my local society.

I have been told i will be given a grade between 15-6, this is slightly different to the system in wales what does each level represent and what games will you ref at each level?

and what decides which level you are appointed to, for example what would make me a 15 instead of a 5 is there a set scoring system etc. are there any key things i need to do to get a higher grade when i get assessed ?

thanks all

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What level game have you been appointed to for your assessment? The assessor will decide how well you fit that level and then probably recommend up (or down) for subsequent appointments/assessments.

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
not been told yet had a phone call yesterday asking when i was free and saying they may re arrange a game for me on sat

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Good luck for Saturday. What level of matches were you reffing in Wales?

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I was doing wru youth and divisional games normally second 15s. I've got a level 12 game sat

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was doing wru youth and divisional games normally second 15s. I've got a level 12 game sat
Much slower than yoouth games, much less skilled and less tidy, with a hugely more complex management requirement. These boys will keep up a running commentary if you let them, and that will inevitably undermine your authority. On this subject, ask on the first occasion that everybody keeps tehir thought sto themselves - and this includes appealing for decisions. Tell the captain(s) on the second occasion that they need to shut their teams up, or they may not appreciate the only means you have available to do it for them; Penalise on the third occassion; and escalate to cards as necessary. Sooner or later they'll remember the only law in the book that an amateur can comply with as easily as a pro: law 10.4(s)

[LAWS](s) All players must respect the authority of the referee. They must not dispute the referee’s decisions. They must stop playing at once when the referee blows the whistle except at a kick-off or at a penalty kick following admonishment, temporary suspension, or send-off.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Whislt I agree entirely with Dixie the way to shut them up can depend on the personility of the ref, and how he builds a relationship with the players.

The players won't, generally, be in the first flush of youth; and may expect to be treated as adults at least in tone of voice - hectoring and lecturing (and for the avoidance of doubt I would not for an instant suggest that Dixie is advocating such) will result in a reduced level of respect from them.

Talk calmly, if you need to ask and tell as Dixie advises then call them to you, and talk reasonably quietly - so they actually have to listen, don't shout or raise your voice.

If you are a natural banterer, then some of that - note some, too much is too matey but a bit at least shows you are human; but if that isn't your social forte don't try - it will come over as false. Essentially be who you are - be calm and be firm.

But - if they fail to respect your authority after getting all the clues, then don't be afraid to penalise and, if it carries on, to card - because, in the end, respect for the ref depends on them knowing you mean what you say.

If you've done lots of youth games then you should be fit enough to be right up with play all game - use that and see if you be the fittest fastest player on the field, and get to the breakdown before the 7s... and use your voice - loud this time - with plenty of preventive calling, ie call the odds BEFORE there is a problem - "Ruck! - No more Hands", etc and early in the game ping after very short advantage opportunity, as things progress and as they begin to respond then you can let it run longer.

But key is be up with play - if are there and on top of things with plenty of voice then they can't argue with the pings; and the issue of dissent diminishes rapidly.

Last edited:

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Abitinga - how did it go?

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Well had my game, good report given, as always few points for improvement but got graded a ten with the option to ref up to level 8 and told will be re assessed at a higher match next time.

I did have to end my game early though due to a player injury but overall good result

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Well done.

10 is a good grade to get the basics sorted and develop a management style, some of 'em can be stroppy and awkward having played a lot higher in their youth, others are stroppy and awkward because of their youth - but if you find yourself with a level 8 game then it will be a whole heap faster, with lots more discipline but more deliberating pushing of limits such as back foot of ruck / maul, obstructing QT in tramlines etc., and will require you to be thinking faster and moving much faster.

There is a lot of difference in the two levels.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well done - 10 is a solid grade and chances to ref up at L9 will surely come too. Consolidate at those levels, and your Society appointers will give you the chance at L8 when ready.

Above all enjoy the matches for what they are, and don't get too wrapped up in grading levels.