RFU Summer 7's

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
For all the appoints secs/midweeks and refs who want some summer games

The RFU are planning some sevens. Only just found out.

Attachments

• RFU Summer 7s Flyer 2008.pdf
    140.3 KB · Views: 33

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We heard a couple of month's ago BigJ from RFU (who 'sat' on the email in London ?), so announced it all on our web site and at Society meetings. We have a waiting list of refs to do them in Hampshire at Trojans RFC - but any of our guys not on list do contact Doug Neagle.

The lads who did them last year really enjoyed it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There are also Premiership Touch Rugby competitions taking place at most Premiership clubs over the Summer. They are all looking for referees.

I am going to the one at Worcester. They haven't finalised the package yet, but its looking like travel allowance, free kit and Premiership goodies, food and drink. Plus of course the opportunity to keep fit while having fun.

Warwickshire Society also had a presentation for American Football referees. Apparently they play during our off season and need 400 refs. However the package wasn't very good. You get full training but have to buy your own kit and only get mileage after the first 100 miles. So AF aficionados only I would think. Especially as you could be sent anywhere in the country.

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
There are also Premiership Touch Rugby competitions taking place at most Premiership clubs over the Summer. They are all looking for referees.

How exactly do you referee touch? Does the IRB have a set of touch variations?

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
We heard a couple of month's ago BigJ from RFU (who 'sat' on the email in London ?), so announced it all on our web site and at Society meetings. We have a waiting list of refs to do them in Hampshire at Trojans RFC - but any of our guys not on list do contact Doug Neagle.

The lads who did them last year really enjoyed it.

Not sure..... the venue has changed so that maybe why. No one has sat on email as far as aware.

Just didn't want a last minute rush for refs.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
I've never had the chance to watch 10s rugby. How's it played?

As a spectacle I find 7s as boring to watch as RL, particularly when your team's KO'd early on . . . nice social event tho'!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Depending on the tournament and how long is available, generally 10 or 20 minutes each way, five in the scrum.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What Pablo said....plus

Generally lineouts to match the scrum numbers

Yellow card 3 mins in bin
Red card out for rest of tournament (still requires paperwork though)

As you can see a few minor variations, but no major law changes ,such as you get in 7's

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There are no variations on the lineout Laws for 7s, 10s 12s or 15s - it's always the standard Law 19, ie., minimum of 2 players in the line, plus thrower, plus receiver. Throwing side determines maximum numbers in the line.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It is going to be fun applying new ELVs to Vets '10s' in Jersey in October - maul and line-out numbers come to mind.

Or it is likely they wil be ignored anyway, I suspect !

A few years back at this wonderful event one bloke (in his 60s and playing for a south London team), insisted if he was playing the rest of the players on the pitch all had to tap the ball with their foot before they picked it up !

A Law I have never played under but my father thinks he recalls it.

Will.Q

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd be interested in these RFU summer 7's. Does anybody know whom I need to contact regarding this? I'd be interested in the one in Taunton..

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A few years back at this wonderful event one bloke (in his 60s and playing for a south London team), insisted if he was playing the rest of the players on the pitch all had to tap the ball with their foot before they picked it up !

A Law I have never played under but my father thinks he recalls it.

It was the law when I started playing, but was changed in 1958.

Somewhere I have an article inveighing against the change on the grounds that it would slow the game down.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Thanks for the info. gentlemen.

It sounds a lot more entertaining than 7s.

I wonder why it didn't catch on down here? Is it just peculier to southern England or do they play it in the Celtic fringe aswell?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The Summer Sevens started in London a few seasons ago with teams from big banks, insurance firms, commercial property companies and a lot of players were from National League and London League clubs.

Couple of seasons ago RFU got involved and then last season it 'rolled out' to Hampshire too, and a couple of other Counties. Now it has expanded a lot more, even included Taunton !

Perhaps Cornwall itself will get involved next season ? It needs local volunteer organisers to get involved to run it all.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
The Summer Sevens started in London a few seasons ago with teams from big banks, insurance firms, commercial property companies and a lot of players were from National League and London League clubs.

Couple of seasons ago RFU got involved and then last season it 'rolled out' to Hampshire too, and a couple of other Counties. Now it has expanded a lot more, even included Taunton !

Perhaps Cornwall itself will get involved next season ? It needs local volunteer organisers to get involved to run it all.

Hope so!

With the decline of county rugby, perhaps it should be a county 7s KO comp. starting regionally, then a twickers qrt./semi /final. instead of the existing set-up?

Could develop into a nice social occasion, 14.00h to 20.00h? May attract more supporters than it gets now.

I can see a team of south sea islanders running out in the amber and black shirts v expensive antipodean talent representing the more affluent club sides in the respective counties. . . or should it be birthright? But then again that was always the problem!