Ruck penalty or no - 7s

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The ruck hadn't ended, so correct for me.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Please explain how that works

Neither of the conditions below had been met, therefore the ruck has not ended.

[LAWS]16.6 SUCCESSFUL END TO A RUCK
A ruck ends successfully when the ball leaves the ruck, or when the ball is on or over the goal
line.[/LAWS]
[LAWS]16.7 UNSUCCESSFUL END TO A RUCK
(a) A ruck ends unsuccessfully when the ball becomes unplayable and a scrum is ordered.[/LAWS]

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Do you draw a distinction between the ball leaving the ruck and the ruck moving past the ball? or are you considering the detached players lying on the ground to still be ruck players? or is there something else I am missing?

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
hi phil , i agree with side entry .
but are we looking for ref to blow whistle { collapsed ruck , white moving forward = white scrum ? }

3 white binds on & pushes green 12 forward .
while 3 white ends up on floor .
green 12 straight back up & re approaching behind ball { original green tackled player also still on floor & hands also on ball ..could / should we penalize same { hands on ball in ruck } , he for a second time prepositions ball to his team mates }

had white 9 come in from behind ball & started a new ruck with incoming green 12 ..{ or should it never been allowed to gone this far ,,should ref of blown for scrum ,,but the ball is available ?? }

or had white 9 come in from behind ball & picked up ball { as in through gate }
would this of been acceptable .

its an interesting clip ,,worthy of peoples views .

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I think a ruck formed - so tackle is over and thee is no gate.
So I would penalize the tackled green player for playing the ball on the floor while offside.
I think the white player is behind the hind feet of the ruck so I do not see how he is offside.

However if this is still a tackle, then the green tackled player is still illegal he only gets one attempt to present the ball - but elite referees ignore that.
The white player does not come through the gate so is subject to penalty.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The SA player presenting the ball had unbroken hand contact with the presented ball so unlikely likely to be considered out, having left the ruck, in my view.

It raises the question how long do you dare to hold it before you have you have to just let go.

Ever seen a presented ball just let go of?

Thought not!

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Phil E has officially flown the coop.

Chuckie B can still be saved.

Please concentrate on helping Chuckie B.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Keep a hand on it to stop some clod hopper from kicking it away until somebody on their feet wants it. It's not difficult.

Didds

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Wrong call IMO.

Yes, there is a ruck but white 'counter ruck' and push over the ball so that the ball emerges from behind the hindmost foot so the ball is out and the 'Ruck' has ended. The fact that Green has his hands on the ball to steady it is erroneous as to whether or not the Ruck has ended.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There is only one offence here: Tackled player not rolling away. However, that never gets called and I wouldn't in this case as it's not "material". I don't have a problem with tackled player keeping a hand on the ball.

But to PK White after White 3 blows two Greens off the ball and the ball is clearly behind hind foot and in the open is a real travesty. White possession here could have put them in the final.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
The ruck hadn't ended, so correct for me.

Neither of the conditions below had been met, therefore the ruck has not ended.

[LAWS]16.6 SUCCESSFUL END TO A RUCK
A ruck ends successfully when the ball leaves the ruck, or when the ball is on or over the goal
line.[/LAWS]
[LAWS]16.7 UNSUCCESSFUL END TO A RUCK
(a) A ruck ends unsuccessfully when the ball becomes unplayable and a scrum is ordered.[/LAWS]

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Phil E has officially flown the coop.

Chuckie B can still be saved.

Please concentrate on helping Chuckie B.

Phil E. hasn't posted yet today. According to his profile, his last post was 23 hrs ago.

I'm sorry if my post above hurt your feelings (you f'in snowflake). We all have had a few knock ons, but brother this one was a shocker from such a moderator.

Snap out of it. You can go through all the clarifications and applications to justify your knock on, but Phil 15.6 has an end state. Phil, the ball was out, it had left the building. just like you have left this website.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That's Sevens for you!

Speed of the game offers more opportunity to polarise opinion!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Phil E. hasn't posted yet today. According to his profile, his last post was 23 hrs ago.

I'm sorry if my post above hurt your feelings (you f'in snowflake). We all have had a few knock ons, but brother this one was a shocker from such a moderator.

Snap out of it. You can go through all the clarifications and applications to justify your knock on, but Phil 15.6 has an end state. Phil, the ball was out, it had left the building. just like you have left this website.
That post is aggressive and personal. Please stick to arguing the point.