Rudy Paige awkward tackle on Cheslin Kolbe

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Interesting one here

I support the dangerous tackle penalty call, but wonder if a YC was justified based on position on pitch and severity of danger (spinal bend).

Views ?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
not sure how you can call that dangerous? Agree it looked bad and i know that sometimes you have to go with the "if it looks wrong then it prob is" and in slow mo i agree, but some legal hits in slo mo look dangerous too, where do you draw the line?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
First thing I thought was......diving on top of a ball carrier on the ground, PK. YC distinct possibility for being in the area formerly know as the red zone, preventing quick ball.

Last edited:

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Reminds me of when I lost a bit of meniscus and did some serious ACL damage...

Looked like a dangerous tackle/judo throw and yes, diving straight onto a player on the ground in a very advantageous position for the tackled player's team - cynical too methinks.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
but wonder if a YC was justified based on position on pitch and severity of danger (spinal bend).

Views ?
Not to mention the headlock - albeit effected with the knees rather than the more usual forearm.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Same as Phil. Don't think I'd have called a dangerous tackle myself, appeared not that bad in normal time and worse in slow mo so first thought was "off feet" diving on the player on the ground

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Not to mention the headlock - albeit effected with the knees rather than the more usual forearm.

not knowing the players so I wasn't sure where the incident was going to come, when It did I winced - even at full speed I didn't like it - especially the knee grip of the neck I'd like to think i'd give a YC, but I can see why others wouldn't.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
For me it's not a tackle...
Diving on a player on the ground - Yes
Penalty - Yes
Card - No (particularly on slo-mo, it really looks like the ball carrier is active on the whole motion. In other words, I believe it wouldn't have looked as bad if the ball carrier didn't try to "throw" blue #9 off his back.

My two cents.
Pierre.