Rugby championship moving to UK?

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Good job relations are so strong otherwise this could all be a nightmare. Will Rassie Erasmus be in charge of appointing officials?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
not sure how a country with 35,000 covid cases per day is a viable alternative :Nerv:

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I suspect there are many safer locations round the world with much lower covid rates. Just none where they could guarantee bumper crowds. They could always play the matches at the grounds where the rugby league world cup was due to be staged. How odd would it look if the Ozzie and Kiwi Union sides turned up to play but the League mob were banned from coming. It's a funny old world!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Maybe the Aus and NZ union sides could have volunteered to play in the RLWC ?

;-)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
not sure how a country with 35,000 covid cases per day is a viable alternative :Nerv:
It's interesting isnt it? The contrasting covid strategies of NZ and UK really starting to bite now

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's interesting isnt it? The contrasting covid strategies of NZ and UK really starting to bite now

Indeed. In my state of Victoria (population 6.7M) we had 61 new cases today and our last covid related death in November 2020.

Current restrictions (now in 3rd week):

You cannot leave your home other than for one of the five following reasons:
- shopping for necessary goods and services
- caregiving or compassionate reasons, including medical care or to get a COVID-19 test
- authorised work (with a permit) or permitted education
- exercise (once a day for 2 hours)
- to get a COVID-19 vaccination (provided the distance travelled, and the time taken is no more than is absolutely necessary)

A stay-at-home curfew is in place for Metropolitan Melbourne. Between 9:00pm and 5:00am, you cannot leave your home (or the home of your intimate partner or bubble buddy) other than for limited reasons.

You must stay within 5km of your home for shopping and exercise.

Anyone 12 years and over must wear a fitted face mask whenever they leave their home, indoors or outdoors, unless a lawful exception applies.

Only one person per household can leave home to get necessary goods and services. They can leave once a day, which means people can’t make multiple shopping trips.

Funerals will be able to go ahead indoors and outdoors with up to ten people, plus those required to conduct the funeral. Weddings will need to be postponed, unless end of life or other exceptional circumstances apply.

You can leave home to exercise, but there are limits:

You must not travel more than 5km from where you live to exercise. You must limit your outdoor exercise to no more than 2 hours per day.
Gyms, pools, community centres, entertainment venues and libraries are closed.
Outdoor playgrounds, outdoor skateparks and outdoor gym equipment are closed.
You can exercise with one other person, plus dependants, as long as you both do not travel more than 5km from your home.
Recreational activities that require the use of a facility will not be allowed. Facilities such as tennis clubs, bowls clubs, shooting ranges and golf clubs are closed. Outdoor activities that can be undertaken without accessing a facility, such as hunting, are permitted within the 5km and 2 hour limits.
You cannot leave your house during the curfew for exercise.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Jeez - thats a interesting call for cyclists! Even somebody as woeful as me would do 40K (road) in two hours... berst scernario i guess is a circle of 5Km radius.

So out 5k to the edge and 5K back again, plus 2xpix5 ... makes 40K. In a perfect world where the roads/environment work for you!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, you have to eat two pies for every 5k? once a day? Is it sponsored by Greggs?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cycling: During the last lockdown I did a Virtual Lands End to John O Groats by cycling to the limit of my village each day a number of times. One guy was building a wall on the main street, so I got a kind of Time Lapse view of it growing as I came past time and time again.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Indeed. In my state of Victoria (population 6.7M) we had 61 new cases today and our last covid related death in November 2020.

- shopping for necessary goods and services
- caregiving or compassionate reasons, including medical care or to get a COVID-19 test
- authorised work (with a permit) or permitted education
- to get a COVID-19 vaccination (provided the distance travelled, and the time taken is no more than is absolutely necessary)

A stay-at-home curfew is in place for Metropolitan Melbourne. Between 9:00pm and 5:00am, you cannot leave your home (or the home of your intimate partner or bubble buddy) other than for limited reasons.

Anyone 12 years and over must wear a fitted face mask whenever they leave their home, indoors or outdoors, unless a lawful exception applies.

Only one person per household can leave home to get necessary goods and services. They can leave once a day, which means people can’t make multiple shopping trips.

Funerals will be able to go ahead indoors and outdoors with up to ten people, plus those required to conduct the funeral. Weddings will need to be postponed, unless end of life or other exceptional circumstances apply.

You can leave home to exercise, but there are limits:

You must not travel more than 5km from where you live to exercise. You must limit your outdoor exercise to no more than 2 hours per day.
Gyms, pools, community centres, entertainment venues and libraries are closed.
Outdoor playgrounds, outdoor skateparks and outdoor gym equipment are closed.
You can exercise with one other person, plus dependants, as long as you both do not travel more than 5km from your home.
Recreational activities that require the use of a facility will not be allowed. Facilities such as tennis clubs, bowls clubs, shooting ranges and golf clubs are closed. Outdoor activities that can be undertaken without accessing a facility, such as hunting, are permitted within the 5km and 2 hour limits.
You cannot leave your house during the curfew for exercise.

How is this being enforced?

Are the police stopping people that are exercising asking them for their address and distance from home?

Have you gone to the store previously?

What if you live in a rural area without a store within 5km?

Or are these restrictions on the honor system?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
How is this being enforced?

Are the police stopping people that are exercising asking them for their address and distance from home?

Or are these restrictions on the honor system?

These are fairly similar top the early 2020 lockdown rules in the UK... there were reports of police finig people they fopund exercising miles from hiome - but these were cases of people drivign miles to go for a walk, rather than anything done out of one's front door. So Id guess its pretty much on an honour system, with the potential of being questioned I guess by eg police ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
this has reminded me - i have a coule of chums who did some extreme exercise in these parmeters...

one had walked the dog in the morning, so as he couldnt exercise again that day he ran 4.9 miles in his garden and driveway... which i doubt was any more than 50m from end to end. Mini loop in the garden to slightly extend that.

Another chum ran a half marathion in the tiny bit of land around his house - about 80 laps he thinks it came to.

and there was some chap that did a full marathon in his postage stamp sized back garden...

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
These are fairly similar top the early 2020 lockdown rules in the UK... there were reports of police finig people they fopund exercising miles from hiome - but these were cases of people drivign miles to go for a walk, rather than anything done out of one's front door. So Id guess its pretty much on an honour system, with the potential of being questioned I guess by eg police ?

I understand that authorities are using number plate recognition technology to identify cars outside 5km of home.

A number of protest rallies occurring too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBvaB246dRc

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I understand that authorities are using number plate recognition technology to identify cars outside 5km of home

Dunno how it works in Aus but eg here in the UK the address registered against a vehicle is merely the registered keeper of the vehicle, which is not neccesarily the owner, nor the driver. A vehicle could quite legitimetaly be bought and owned by somebody living in Cornwall, registered to somebody living in London, and driven by and kept by somebody living in Leeds.

Then there are corporate fleet cars etc that are potentially all registerted at an office which may be no where near where the driver of a fleet vehicle may live etc.

This sint to say the ANPR concept is 100% sdaft, and of course the Aus system may be very different ... but potentially there coud be a lot of wasted time stopping drivers that are in the immediate vicinity of their home.

Can people living on cattl;e stations not go anywhere - their house may be 5Km form the nearest road, let alone shop, fuel station etc ?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Can people living on cattl;e stations not go anywhere - their house may be 5Km form the nearest road, let alone shop, fuel station etc ?

You can go to your nearest shop even if it is > 5km from home. There are not as many Australians living on cattle stations as you may think :)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
You can go to your nearest shop even if it is > 5km from home. There are not as many Australians living on cattle stations as you may think :)

of course :)

but its the fringe demographics that are the real test of any system :)