Rugby Ref's DVD - Any recommendations ?

RUGBYBOOT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had my first senior game yesterday which I thought went very well, or at least far better than I'd expected.

One issue was my positioning, I found myself a bit lost if I'm honest around at was my positioning, both in open play and at set pieces. Although I never actually got in the way of players I did find myself in awkward positions on a number of occasions. I know perhaps experience will assist me with this but was wondering if anybody can suggest a good DVD on this area of referring ? Thanks Gary

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Id start with looking at any of the matches on TV. Others will say it's not real rugby, but you can do worse than looking at where the top guys are in terms of positioning.

WARNING! If you do do this, remember that they have touch judges who they can use and do affect where they position themselves. You don't have that luxury!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
As KML1 is twice the ref I'll ever be, I'm reluctant to take issue with his posts. However, in this case, I'd argue that the luxury the miked-up ref has, with qualified AR's and in some cases a TMO, means he can stand in totally different places to where we need to be. It's not that the elite game isn't "real rugby"; it's that it's so real it needs to be reffed in a totally different way.

Rugbyboot, be aware that we really only have three phases of play as refs: set pieces, open play and breakdowns. By far the biggest challenge for us is the breakdown, adn these are pretty uniform. For me, my approach is a: arrive from the direction the ball was travelling. b) sweep round behind the base of the forming/newly-formed ruck to the blind side, all the time looking for the ball and being aware of arriving players; c) locate the ball, and start focusing on arriving players; d) retreat three steps backwards at 45 degrees to the ruck, towards the blind-side corner flag of the ball-winning side, all the while; e) looking up across the ruck to the defensive backs, watching also for offsides at the ruck, pillars/guards etc.

During open play, I try to be level with the ball, running a flanker's angle to the next breakdown.

At scrums, my preference is to be standing on the blind side to watch the backs' 5m offside lines as well the FR's. Others argue always for being on the put-in side. Until you find out whether your assessors have a preference, it's a matter of personal preference.

At lineouts, you're generally best served by being at the front opposite the defending hooker prehaps 70% of the time, moving to the back or middle from time to time just to vary things and watch for different offences.

There you go - sorted! On TV, you'll notice refs standing in the defensive line. I really wouldn't do that until you are at least at L.6. That's just a personal opinion - others will doubtless disagree.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There you go - sorted! On TV, you'll notice refs standing in the defensive line. I really wouldn't do that until you are at least at L.6. That's just a personal opinion - others will doubtless disagree.

I don't usually join threads on positioning here, mainly because what I was taught (and is still taught at this end of the planet) is totally at odds with current thinking in the NH. Dixie tells you that you should not stand in the defensive line, yet that is exactly where I was taught to stand as a beginner, and not to move regularly into the 4 or 8 O'Clock positions (or the chariot position) on the attacking side until I had a few games under my belt.

Especially, we were told not to get caught in the attacking line when a ruck or maul gets close to the goal-line. The rationale was that as beginners we lacked tactical awareness, and would likely to miss the grounding in the case of a try being scored.

At line-outs, we were taught to be a couple of metres "inboard" of the 15m line and on the non-throwing side about level with the scrum half. We were also taught not to stand in the "zipper". This is likely to be at variance with what others will tell you here.

You should consult the assessors at your Society

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
if you do follow KML1s advice, for goodness sake don't watch Andrew Small from last weekend. He went walkabout at times and got in the most extraordinary positions in the Gloucester v Wasps match - or was he just trying to keep as far away from the Shed as he could ?

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Most associations are usually pretty happy to give you a copy of the higher level games within your region. Not sure what that means for the NH, but you should be able to find a DVD of a good ref in your association. Use that as a basis for development and that should let you work on your picture of the game with something a bit closer to your level.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Iron Lung - so sweet! You assume that the RFU follows SH best practice of videoing their refs - this tends to happen only at professional levels.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My society has one video camera and one operator.