Rugby Scorer - new FREE Iphone/Ipod/Ipad app

Gonker44

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi All, I would like to publicise the immediate availability of a FREE Iphone/Ipod/Ipad app - RUGBY SCORER. I have had this developed primarily for the amateur/community/youth rugby spectator - who never has a scoreboard to track the score. It Also allows you to track the time, enter the player's details and to write/email a match report at full time!

Available now from: http://itunes.apple.com/app/rugby-scorer/id371066263?mt=8
Interested in referee feedback!

Cheers

Gordon

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'll get my boy to download it and will give it a crack when I'm watching the next game. :wink:

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what does the i stand for?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
What's an app? Will I be able to use it on my ancient i-pod shuffle?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Gonker44,

Please be very careful with your posting, I almost deleted this thread without even looking at it as spam, as the title is very......spammy!

It is also only your second post, which makes me very weary!

I appreciate it is a rugby app, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt that your intent is good.

Gonker44

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Robert, Thanks for the warning re "free" - had not thought of the negative connotations people now associate with that word!

Looking forward to feedback - hopefully it will be used in anger this weekend downunder!

Cheers

Gordon

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Looking at the first 5 returns from your search, none of them answer the question.

I really liked the return that led to to the forum posted question "How do I unlick my iPod?". Is this an indicator of the intelligence of your typical iPod user? From my experience, probably.

I really like the discussion about the defacer of iPod advertisments. Seems he knew what it means. Isolationist. Idiot, etc.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Looking at the first 5 returns from your search, none of them answer the question.

I really liked the return that led to to the forum posted question "How do I unlick my iPod?". Is this an indicator of the intelligence of your typical iPod user? From my experience, probably.

I really like the discussion about the defacer of iPod advertisments. Seems he knew what it means. Isolationist. Idiot, etc.

Try the first link:

“Apple declared the "i" in iMac to stand for "Internet". Attention was given to the out-of-box experience: the user needed to go through only two steps to set up and connect to the Internet. "There's no step 3!" was the catch-phrase in a popular iMac commercial narrated by actor Jeff Goldblum. Another commercial, dubbed "Simplicity Shootout", pitted seven-year-old Johann Thomas and his border collie Brodie, with an iMac, against Adam Taggart, a Stanford University MBA student, with a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion 8250, in a race to set up their computers. Johann and Brodie finished in 8 minutes and 15 seconds,[3] whereas Adam was still working on it by the end of the commercial. Apple later adopted the "i" prefix across its consumer hardware and software lines, such as the iPod, iBook, iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, iWeb), iWork, iSight, and iSync. The prefix has caught on for non-Apple Computer products as well”

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Apple later adopted the "i" prefix across its consumer hardware and software lines, such as the iPod, iBook, iLife iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, iWeb), iWork, iSight, and iSync.

iPhoto has to be just about the worst, most poorly written, and ultimately useless piece of crap Photo Management software the world has ever seen. Give me ACDSee Pro any day.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Interested in referee feedback!
Initial Feedback: Not specifically referee related as there are no law queries, but feedback from a proud dad - who just happens to be a trainee ref. :wink:

1. The choice of team colours seemed a bit limited. Not a big problem as you just pick the one that's closest to the teams involved, but more would be good.
  2. I had a problem with time running out before the actual game finished. I set 40 mins at the start of the game, but sometimes it wasn't obvious that the ref had stopped play, meaning the iPod was still counting when the refs watch had stopped. At the end of the game, the iPod stopped about a minute before the whistle went - lickily there were no scores in that minute, but I can see this being an issue.
  3. Personally I like to see how much time is left rather than working it out from the time that's gone. Perhaps there could be an option to have a count-down. Again, not a big problem, but it would be a "nice to have" option.
  4. A religious advert appeared at the bottom of the screen after a few minutes. It was wasted on me so I ignored it and IIRC it went away after a while. Not a big problem, but it was an unecessary distraction.
  5. Perhaps the option to record Yellow Cards or Red Cards could be included in the next version?
Only had a quick play with it last night, but does it store the results from previous games? Overall though yes, I liked it and would use it if I was watching an amateur game.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
was going to use it on Sat for son's game...but it was cold and raining so more interested in kepping dry and than fiddling with I touch.

When I had a practice run though it seemed to be impossible to stop and restart the same game or fix an error/mistake...might be just me. Plus you can't seem to stop a game once it starts? what happens if 1/2 or FT finish early due to injury in juniors (as it does quite regularly).

Will try it out this weekend and see. (I hope it can save results as I'm not wired to internet out on the fields (ie it's itouch not Iphone!) so I would need to wait to get home before I could email results so i need to be able to save it.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... When I had a practice run though it seemed to be impossible to stop and restart the same game ..
IIRC there are only 3 buttons on the screen, and the right hand one toggles between "Time On" and "Time Off".

... I would need to wait to get home before I could email results so i need to be able to save it.
I think it saves the info from the game you've just watched, but I don't think it saves any info from previous games. If you do make a mistake eg if you reckon No 12 scored a DG but was actually No 13, then tap the "Reverse Last Score" button at the top right of the screen.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
gotcha - thanks Taff