crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The format is tricky

Perhaps, after all, we are getting a sense of why it hasn't happened so far

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
because of fan travel and hotels and venues etc RWC cant leave it until only a year out to arrange. thats why we get this messy 3 year advance pool selection.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
because of fan travel and hotels and venues etc RWC cant leave it until only a year out to arrange. thats why we get this messy 3 year advance pool selection.

And yet the draw for the group stages of the football world cup was held on 1 April 2022 ahead of the first match of the tournament just over 6 months later.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That is the ultimate dog ate my breakfast excuse, can't believe people buy it. If WR can't organize travel and ticketing with 6 months notice, then leave it to professionals rather.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Do any other World Cups do this?

Football
Cricket
Etc

Where they all have top teams playing minoes.

NB: I'm excluding American Sports, where they don't let the rest of the world enter. i.e. Baseball World Series :sneaky:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Maybe they should have a Barbarians team made up of the bottom 9 going into the QFs

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Do any other World Cups do this?

Football
Cricket
Etc

Where they all have top teams playing minoes.

NB: I'm excluding American Sports, where they don't let the rest of the world enter. i.e. Baseball World Series :sneaky:
Football, Cricket are not as "strength" based as Rugby Union. The disparity is more marked in Union. League is too small and the possible winners are fewer than in Union.
Footbal eliminated most of the European dross at the qualification stage but yes the odd weak side gets through in the interest of "global" participation

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
And yet the draw for the group stages of the football world cup was held on 1 April 2022 ahead of the first match of the tournament just over 6 months later.
shrug.

thats the reason RWC give.

take it up with them I guess.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
League is too small and the possible winners are fewer than in Union.
This. RL still AIUI has a WC but TBH its a bit of a pointless exercice.
Admittedly a while ago ISTR Lebanon being in a RLWC - which was pretty much a bunch of 2nd generationers from Sydney Suburbs. eg a Aus 7th XIII.

In the 16 RLWCs held, its been won by only three teams

GB - three times, last time was 1972
Aus - twelve times
NZ - once, in 2008.

That NZ win is the only loss by Aus for the RLWC in 51 years.
Sinve 1995 GB has been split into individual countries eg england.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
.. a RWC that is, well, currently a bit boring while we wait for the QFs
congratulations to NZ on overcoming Namibia (71-3), Italy (96-17) and Uruguay (76-0) to secure their place in the QF.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This. RL still AIUI has a WC but TBH its a bit of a pointless exercice.
Admittedly a while ago ISTR Lebanon being in a RLWC - which was pretty much a bunch of 2nd generationers from Sydney Suburbs. eg a Aus 7th XIII.

In the 16 RLWCs held, its been won by only three teams

GB - three times, last time was 1972
Aus - twelve times
NZ - once, in 2008.

That NZ win is the only loss by Aus for the RLWC in 51 years.
Sinve 1995 GB has been split into individual countries eg england.

Exactly my point three winners (in reality one!)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
That is the ultimate dog ate my breakfast excuse, can't believe people buy it. If WR can't organize travel and ticketing with 6 months notice, then leave it to professionals rather.
Is travel and ticketing a WR thing, or the host nation?

Because if the latter, I have some bad news for you...

Pedro

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
@didds When the draw was made in 2020 - Wales were ranked 4th, not 9th.
That’s why they were seeded top in a pool.
Scotland were 9th- that’s why they ended up with 2 top teams in their pool.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Quick aside - Eng vs. Sam was a “low scoring” game that went down to the wire with both teams battling to the whistle. Edge of seat, nail-biting, <insert phrase of choice>…

Isn’t that the biggest advert for rugby? So why the hell aren’t WR doing everything they can to close the T1-T2 gap? And just about everyone and their dog is saying one key way is to give the T2 more first class games - so why aren’t they jumping at the idea of the extra RWC games?!

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Quick aside - Eng vs. Sam was a “low scoring” game that went down to the wire with both teams battling to the whistle. Edge of seat, nail-biting, <insert phrase of choice>…

Isn’t that the biggest advert for rugby? So why the hell aren’t WR doing everything they can to close the T1-T2 gap? And just about everyone and their dog is saying one key way is to give the T2 more first class games - so why aren’t they jumping at the idea of the extra RWC games?!
England played really badly, the outcome of the game had no bearing for either team.

T2 need to get better to choose the gap, probably the best move here has been relaxing the requirements for pacific island eligibility from players previously capped by another country (normally NZ/aus). More T2 vs T2 games is what is required

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
not sure I would look to cricket for ideas on how to run a world cup !

(although I am sure there are plenty of people wondering about how to create a rugby version of the IPL)
Crowd numbers are a problem. Should be judged on the quality of the games, not who turns up to watch. Unfortunately cricket is a bad example for a lot of things, as it is now run by an autocratic and greedy bully who are going to shoot themselves in the foot.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
England played really badly, the outcome of the game had no bearing for either team.
I guess the only consolation is they had the wobble now and also have a reminder of what Fiji (barring a very unlikely thrashing by Portugal) are going to throw at them. Will be interesting to see the changes they make on the pitch for both the team sheet and the tactics employed.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I guess the only consolation is they had the wobble now and also have a reminder of what Fiji (barring a very unlikely thrashing by Portugal) are going to throw at them. Will be interesting to see the changes they make on the pitch for both the team sheet and the tactics employed.
they have worked themselves into a bit of a dead end. Drop Farrell? that would be hard. Drop Mitchell and Start Care and Smith? I dunno. SB has left himself little options

Meanwhile this on rugbypass -- which, is of course, owned by World Rugby, so what do we make of it?