RWC 2023

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks for this 😊 To be fair, I remember feeling sure that when the try was disallowed, it would go back for penalty and YC as there had been so many infringements in the red zone. And Wales would have been wishing they'd just given away a try. But I can't say I agree that any of them were cynical, in terms of deserving of an immediate YC on their own.
59:30 Advantage Fiji, Biggar (always) offside at the ruck, 2m from try line, tackles Fiji #9 at back of ruck at he picks the ball

Even if the defending side were squeaky clean in the build-up, IMO this should be a card this every single time at any level of competition.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Even if the defending side were squeaky clean in the build-up, IMO this should be a card this every single time at any level of competition.

Are you reading from Stu's post that the ball wasn't out yet? If so I'd agree with you, but I don't think that's what happened...

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Are you reading from Stu's post that the ball wasn't out yet? If so I'd agree with you, but I don't think that's what happened...
I read it as Biggar was offside prior to tackling the Fiji 9. Even if the ball was out before the tackle, if Biggar was in an offside position prior to the tackle, that is *still* a yellow every time.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Yup - that was it. Biggar standing offside, F9 p9icks up ball, Biggar grabs him.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I read it as Biggar was offside prior to tackling the Fiji 9. Even if the ball was out before the tackle, if Biggar was in an offside position prior to the tackle, that is *still* a yellow every time.
Biggar was standing at the side of the ruck, he was never behind the back foot at any time, and then pounced on the Fiji #9. He was like a defending scrum half at a scrum.