RWC Aus vs Sco

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re : Re: RWC Aus vs Sco

In a way I feel for CJ as his call would have been instinctive and based, not on the state of the match, but what he would have blown in minute one of any match.

If this is the case, what about the accidental offside decision some ten-ish minutes previous, which to my untrained eye looked exactly the same as the one at the death?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Makes no difference.

Let me repeat this so that we are clear

Nowhere in the Laws of the Game does Rugby Union have a defintion that distinguishes between the ball touching the player and the player touching the ball. They are both taken to mean the same thing. We have been over this numerous times in the past, including with National Panel and Elite referees.

I think CJ saw it this way: Blue player knocks on and Phipps attempts to catch ball. Other Blue player (who is in front of knocker-onner) instintively jostles Phipps, who fumbles the ball. I think the offside act was interfering with play before Phipps had touched the ball.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Accepting that he couldn't use the TMO protocol could he have (should he have) used the big screen replays to make the correct decision, a replay was inevitable, and the fans had seen it? Couldn't he use that to ensure the correct decision? Certainly in super rugby I often see refs make decisions based on the big screen even without engaging the TMO protocol

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Biggest trouble with using TMO or screen for this call is the way it places emphasis on a call at a point in the game when it wouldn't be done at other times. All decisions should be made impartially and without bias as to the importance of the call except where prescribed by the protocols (eg grounding of try).
Once CJ blew that whistle he was done for. You think this is an outcry? Imagine the Australian outcry if he blew the whistle, signelled a penalty then said, "hang on guys, I'm not sure if I got that 100%, how about we restart with a scrum.".

Of course, if he doesn't blow the whistle at all, he gets accused of being scared (just as the criticism from the 2011 final goes)

As mentioned, in retrospect his best course of action was probably to blow the whistle and take a calm thought about it, realising that he for the sake of consistency he could call an accidental.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'll be interested to see the aftermath of this.

WR have already stated - correctly, if in need of updating - that he couldn't use the TMO.

i wonder if Jutge will do what his predecessors have done and apologize?

wayner

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Re: Re : Re: RWC Aus vs Sco

If this is the case, what about the accidental offside decision some ten-ish minutes previous, which to my untrained eye looked exactly the same as the one at the death?
Was that the one that was kind of a charged down kick - an Aussie kicks the ball into a Scot and then another Scot picks it up when he is offside?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
wayner:305593 said:
Was that the one that was kind of a charged down kick - an Aussie kicks the ball into a Scot and then another Scot picks it up when he is offside?

Yep, to me the first one was a straightforward nailed on PK. The second one was the one you might give a benefit of the doubt, it was confused and happened fast.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How about 11.3 (c)

[LAWS](c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not catch it, the offside player is put onside.[/LAWS]

No

Laws that are written to cover specific situations cannot be generally applied across the whole game, or parts of the game they don't apply to. Let me give you an example

[LAWS]10.1 OBSTRUCTION
(c) Blocking the tackler. A player must not intentionally move or stand in a position that
prevents an opponent from tackling a ball carrier.
Sanction: Penalty kick
(d) Blocking the ball. A player must not intentionally move or stand in a position that prevents
an opponent from playing the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick
[/LAWS]

If we were to apply this Law universally across the whole game, then rucking, mauling and scrummaging would be illegal. In a maul, all the players in front of the ball carrier are blocking the ball. So too are the players in front of the ball at a ruck, and the entire front row, second row and flankers in a scrum when the ball is at the No 8's feet. To allow rucks and mauls and scrums to take place, we have specific, specially written Laws to allow this phases of play to occur in spite of Law 10.2

When you have a law that covers a General situation, Call it Law "A" and another law that covers a specific situation, call it Law "B", and that specific situation occurs, you must apply Law "B" and not Law "A". Further, you must not try to apply the provosions of Law "B" to other situations.

In the case of Law 11.3, it applies to general to offside, but there is a specific Law, 11.7 that applies when the ball is knocked on

[LAWS]11.7 OFFSIDE AFTER A KNOCK-ON
When a player knocks-on and an offside team-mate next plays the ball, the offside player is
liable to sanction if playing the ball prevented an opponent from gaining an advantage.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

This Law only applies to the knock on situation so you must apply it to the situation under discussion, and you must not apply it to other situations. Laws 11.7 makes no reference to intenionally playn ghte ball

In the situation under discussion, the blue player knocked the ball forward and and opponent (Phipps) next played the ball before another blue player played it. Therefore, no offside.

The ball did not just touch Phipps. It hit him and he very deliberately knocked it backward. So it is not two knocks on. The only question is whether Phipps hitting the ball back towards the previously offside Jock puts him onside. I'd like to hear Ian's view on that again because I'm not at all sure I understood it first time round.

For me, hiding behind the protocol is an excuse not a reason. It never occurred to Craig to go upstairs.

Yes, it does, and that is where Law 11.3 and "intent" does apply. As soon as Phipps hit the ball back, the previously offside player is put onside.

Also, of course, there is this

[LAWS]11.1 OFFSIDE IN GENERAL PLAY
(a) A player who is in an offside position is liable to sanction only if the player does one of three
things:
• Interferes with play or,
• Moves forward, towards the ball or
• Fails to comply with the 10-Metre Law (Law 11.4).
A player who is in an offside position is not automatically penalised.
A player who receives an unintentional throw forward is not offside.
A player can be offside in the in-goal.[/LAWS]

It does not matter that the blue player was in an offside position, he was put onside by the actions of Phipps, who as you point out, played the ball.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think CJ saw it this way: Blue player knocks on and Phipps attempts to catch ball. Other Blue player (who is in front of knocker-onner) instintively jostles Phipps, who fumbles the ball. I think the offside act was interfering with play before Phipps had touched the ball.

Well that is making up excuses after the mistake because that is NOT what he ruled on the field.

1. He did not change the knock-on advantage signal to a PK signal until after the final blue player touched it

2. He gave the offside secondary signal where the last Blue player touched it and not back where Phipps was.

3. The mark for the PK was where the Blue player was, and not where Phipps was

IMO, CJ has made an egregious and critical error that has cost Scotland the game and a semi-final berth in the RWC. It cannot get much worse than that!

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Harping on about the same point.

Ian, I agree with the point you are making but surely it is moot because if Phipps plays the ball forward then there has been two knock ons. Play stops at that point.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Harping on about the same point.

Ian, I agree with the point you are making but surely it is moot because if Phipps plays the ball forward then there has been two knock ons. Play stops at that point.

from memory it went backwards off Phipps.

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I'll be interested to see the aftermath of this.

WR have already stated - correctly, if in need of updating - that he couldn't use the TMO.

i wonder if Jutge will do what his predecessors have done and apologize?

WR have, to my knowledge, stated nothing late on this Sunday evening.

The Telegraph have reported they made a statement, and then in the article just gone through the protocol, with WR clearly not having said anything on the matter.

After failing to convince by saying that fumbling at the ball doesn't count as playing it, and then by saying that the Aus player didn't touch the ball at all, our Twitter representative seems to have finished by saying that the Scottish player was loitering:

A player who remains in an offside position is loitering. A loiterer who prevents the opposing team from playing the ball as they wish is taking part in the game, and is penalised. The referee makes sure that the loiterer does not benefit from being put onside by the opposing team’s action.

What're our opinions on that?

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I
Scotland has every right to feel robbed at the death by a very poor referee's decision

Hmmm....the referee is very poor? Bit harsh Ian...not his best but I wouldn't say he is very poor!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Good point Dickie...I concur. When I saw it live I thought it was a good, but gutsy, call. At first look it looked clear and obvious off blue and blue player in front played it. So I feel for CJ cause at that one fraction of a secon look it was CO offside! I didn't even question. It was only the 'I'll make a dick of your decision super slow-mo' that show it hits gold...that's when I said 'oooops'. As already discussed I don't think that could be referred to TMO? (We can't have every decision referred, even those deemed 'critical', because it will turn into the players saying every decisions is called critical and they'll want everything reviewed if it goes against them.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Yep, to me the first one was a straightforward nailed on PK. The second one was the one you might give a benefit of the doubt, it was confused and happened fast.

Correct, as I said in an earlier, had CJ nailed PK for the first one then this controversial decision probably wouldn't be so bad. CJs consistency meter was on holidays today.

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well, having watched it in real time I thought it was offside. Maybe CJ saw it the way I did? I thought it got knocked on by Blue 7, bounced off Blue 20 shoulder, then picked up by Blue 8. IF it had happened this way, then clear and obvious PK and game ends as it did. Agree that the one earlier was more clear than this and should also have been a PK.

However, in slow mo, from the opposite side, it appears as if it came out of the crash between Gold 21 (Phipps) and Blue 20. If Gold 21 played it, then Blue 8 is no longer offside, scrum down from knock on. If Gold 21 tried to grab it but it was propelled by Blue 20 shoulder, knock on, Blue 8 offside and CJ makes the right call.

Either way, I don't believe he can refer it to the TMO under the current protocol.

So the only question I have as I don't have angles or clear video, is who did it come off, Gold 21 or Blue 20? In real time it would be really hard to tell, so wouldn't most refs naturally assume that the speed and angle of the ball coming out of the contest makes it most likely that it came off the blue player going forward? I know I did in real time (although I'm prepared to put that down to the fact I'm an Aussie).

Either way, if someone can tell me who it last came off I'd appreciate it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I

Hmmm....the referee is very poor? Bit harsh Ian...not his best but I wouldn't say he is very poor!

I'm sure he means a "poor decision by the referee" and not "a decision by the poor referee"

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Happy with that... who did it come off last, Gold 21 or Blue 20?