RWC Aus vs Sco

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
in tennis if your appeal is sucesssful it doesn't count toward your limit. That's always seemed to me a good rule

And in cricket. However, my point stands. England won an ashes test because Australia "wasted" appeals. There were none left and when the umpire made an error it could not be corrected. Yes you can say it served the Australians right for being "frivolous". I would say the point of the tech being avaiable is to get the right calls made.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I would say the point of the tech being avaiable is to get the right calls made.

Risk and return. We do NOT want to see rugby becoming like American Football, where everything is slowed down at the elite level for the benefit of TV audiences (and advertisers).

The 'howler' - not the case here IMO - was the reason for the DRS in cricket being introduced. But in cricket the umpires CAN call for reviews from their 'TMO' when they aren't sure themselves.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
'Decision' is a noun. Grammatically your statement can be interpreted only one way.

Nonsense. The statment was gramatically ambiguous. However, Contextually both via the thread and previous threads, it was pretty clear as to the meaning.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Risk and return. We do NOT want to see rugby becoming like American Football, where everything is slowed down at the elite level for the benefit of TV audiences (and advertisers).

The 'howler' - not the case here IMO - was the reason for the DRS in cricket being introduced. But in cricket the umpires CAN call for reviews from their 'TMO' when they aren't sure themselves.

I'm not suggesting we slow the game down. rather I'm pointing out a flaw in the suggestion. If we are going to "improve" the system then let's get it right.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I don't think that an individual should be posting under the name of this forum with or without the disclaimer.

Last edited:

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I'm not suggesting we slow the game down. rather I'm pointing out a flaw in the suggestion. If we are going to "improve" the system then let's get it right.

Nobody was making deep recommendations on exactly how to implement any such "improvements". I'm not sure suggestions here are likely to be taken to heart by the IRB (I mean World Rugby), but the right way to do it is by sensible experimentation in the two years AFTER a RWC rather than in the year or two before the showpiece.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I'm sure you are right. However, we are discussion the issue as we have the right to and I'm entitled to say that I think the suggestion made is wrong. I Do appologise If I was mistaken.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I agree.

In this case, the TMO could have quickly looked at the replay, and as soon as he saw Phipps touch the ball he calls "check check" and CJ stops the game. If he sees nothing, he says nothing and no-one is the wiser

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Loitering? Really?

I don't have a twitter account (and probably never will) so I haven't seen any of that.

Who is making the twitter posts on our behalf, because who ever it is has got it completley wrong?
at a guess it is Robbie Burns

https://mobile.twitter.com/RugbyRefscom/status/520748260667834368/photo/1

though the loitering post appears repeatedly, so perhaps his account was hacked?

I guess you know RugbyRefs (dot) com is on Facebook ;

https://www.facebook.com/RugbyRefscom

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I agree.

In this case, the TMO could have quickly looked at the replay, and as soon as he saw Phipps touch the ball he calls "check check" and CJ stops the game. If he sees nothing, he says nothing and no-one is the wiser

Indeed there are simple ways it can be done with little or no interuption to the game. We want referees to have a "friend" in the protocols not to use them with one hand tied behind their backs.

noblerotter

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Nonsense. The statment was gramatically ambiguous. However, Contextually both via the thread and previous threads, it was pretty clear as to the meaning.

Nonsense indeed. There is ambiguity in the meaning of the word poor. It could refer to an impecunious referee or a substandard referee, but unfortunately not to the quality of the aforementioned decision.
His intended meaning notwithstanding.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
at a guess it is Robbie Burns

https://mobile.twitter.com/RugbyRefscom/status/520748260667834368/photo/1

though the loitering post appears repeatedly, so perhaps his account was hacked?

I guess you know RugbyRefs (dot) com is on Facebook ;

https://www.facebook.com/RugbyRefscom

Well, what I know about twatter you could engrave on an aspirin using a prybar (and thats more that I want to know), but can someone link to a post that contains the Loitering claim?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I am not claiming to have an answer, just convinced that we have a problem. What happened to CJ should never have to happen again.

So I'm floating some options. The two obvious ones are to
- let the referee call for a review
- captain has a number of appeals
- TMO can simply come in, uninvited (as indeed they do for foul play)

Currently if an AR can see that the the referee has missed something, or is about to make a bad decision, he is able to come in discreetly on coms - uninvited - and put things right. Perhaps a TMO could have similar privilege.

Perhaps we should have two TMOs, one supervising, both eyes on the game, communicating with the ref, and directing the other TMO, who has his head buried in the screen watching replays.

Perhaps there are better ideas. I don't have the answers but we need some suggestions.
And yes we should trial any changes

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes