RWC RC counter

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think it was considered a low degree of danger because the "tackler" was stationary and passive... the force of the collision was all generated by one player rather than two (this appears to be a clear factor differentiating low and high danger).
its so long ago now but going back back to the Curry RC... wasnt he in reality passive compared to the ball catcher/carrier coming forward at pace ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so basically WR are saying
"All head contacts are are equal, but some head contacts are more equal than others.”

With apologies to George Orwell.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
i wonder at what point you'd penalise a ball carrier for running into a stationary defender and causing a heah to head contact.
Probably just after they start to penalize players for jumping to catch a ball and taking out an opponent who was already in place to receive the ball by smacking them in the head.

pedr

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
its so long ago now but going back back to the Curry RC... wasnt he in reality passive compared to the ball catcher/carrier coming forward at pace ?
It seemed that way in the immediate replay but I seem to remember that there was a longer, wider shot which suggested he ran round a player and was in motion towards the catcher. It does make some sense to say that both players are deemed to be in control of their bodies, the ball carrier has less responsibility to avoid contact than the tackler, but that where only the ball carrier is moving the positioning of the tackler isn’t “highly reckless” and the impact is likely to be less forceful than when the tackler directs their body towards the contact. Perhaps!?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what is the current RC tally? It was 7 as of 28th Sept

Last edited:

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is already happening in one aspect or another. Harlequins, here in blighty, are currently wearing a gum shield with a chip in it that measures the force of collisions with the head. This, IIRC, is to go towards concussion study etc. All they would have to do is get that to link to the GPS doo-dah on their back and you'd be able to get real time data (he says as if that is easy)
Looks like that tech is about to go live for the elite level. First run will be WXV (Oct 13 - JPN vs ITA), men’s pro game in January and should be in place for the 6N. Realtime feed and “when the mouthguard registers an acceleration above 70g and 4000 radians per second squared for men – and 55gs and 4000 rad/s2 for women – it will immediately ping an alert to an app that is being watched by an independent doctor” at which point they get pulled for a HIA.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Still 7

As I said in the other thread I got the sense yesterday that they have had a rethink and we won't see many more now
So therefore I am expecting the Fiji card just now to stay YC

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I believe the mitigation was the tackled player breathed.
Complete whitewash - surely the IRB should realise this will kill the game.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I dont think it will kill the game but it indicates that the whole thing has now become immaterial. Head clashes are now merely YCs.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I dont think it will kill the game but it indicates that the whole thing has now become immaterial. Head clashes are now merely YCs.
And so is a forearm to the head

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
sorry - my sentence should have been head SMASHES!! LOL. Yes - CR spot on.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So the last RC was issued on 28th Sept .
- 7 RC in 26 games - which was WORSE than my pessimistic forecast above of 1 RC per 4 games.

On 1st October, watching several bunker reviews in Aus v Portugal I commented that WR seemed to have panicked, and adjusted the thresholds, and that we wouldn't see many more RC in the tournanment.

Since then
- No RC in 14 games.

Seriously : was I right? Did they make a change, and raise the bar ?

Or has behaviour suddeny changed and WR's approach been vindicated?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Total guess - 11

1 card per 4 matches for first 2 matches in each pool as refs lay out their standards/expectations (8 matches, 2 RC), 1 in 5 for rest of pool matches as players adapt (32m, so 6?). 1 in 3 for KO stages (8m, so call it 3?)

So 11 - and totally making this up off the assumption that refs will start hard but players will learn/respond, and coaches will rejig my the KO stages.
mind you - volun-selected is entitled to an "I told you so".

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So the last RC was issued on 28th Sept .
- 7 RC in 26 games - which was WORSE than my pessimistic forecast above of 1 RC per 4 games.

On 1st October, watching several bunker reviews in Aus v Portugal I commented that WR seemed to have panicked, and adjusted the thresholds, and that we wouldn't see many more RC in the tournanment.

Since then
- No RC in 14 games.

Seriously : was I right? Did they make a change, and raise the bar ?

Or has behaviour suddeny changed and WR's approach been vindicated?
I think you were right CR.

How one earth some of these bunkered yellows havent been reds, especially based on implementations previously, defeats me.
The whole kit and kaboodle now has lost any credibility, and frankly "point".
If the law is there to encourage players to NOT tackle near the head - it now makes little difference, so carry on and just at woprst get a yellow

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So - anyone like to make a forecast on the knockout games remaining
- eight games to play (including the bronze final)
- how many RCs in those eight games?

For me I think it's likely zero. If they have become reluctant to issues RCs in a pool game ... then even more so in a knockout game
If I had to bet on which match is most likely to see a RC, I'd say the bronze final