Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Lacey for the 3rd place!

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
The final will take place at Twickenham between New Zealand and Australia on Saturday (kick-off 16:00) with Owens being joined on the line by Jérôme Garcès of France and England’s Wayne Barnes with Shaun Veldsman of South Africa being the television match official.
The night before, at The Stadium, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in London, Argentina will take on South Africa in the bronze final (kick-off 20:00) and John Lacey of Ireland will take charge of that match. His assistant referees will be Glen Jackson and Chris Pollock, both from New Zealand. Graham Hughes of England will be TMO.

John Lacey? Really? Can someone explain that one?

Loïc

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
Lacey... oh my god.. :/
Why the worst ref of all the pannel is refing the 3rd place? :/

Like Flipflop, i don't really understand...

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Experience maybe? The world cup only comes around every 4 years and represents a different level of pressure for Refs, ARs and TMO's. So they want to give everyone the most opportunity to experience it as possible? That way in 4 years time they have the biggest pool of experienced refs they can create. At the same time they want the TO4 for the final to be focussed completely on that game for the week, so the AR for the final doesn't get involved in the 3/4 playoff.

On that basis I think 2 teams of 4 for the two games is a good idea, with the top 2 refs being Ref and AR1 for the final, and the next two ranked refs being Ref and AR1 for the 3/4 playoff.

So that means that Lacey must have been picked because... ummm... ok... I have no idea...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Experience maybe? The world cup only comes around every 4 years and represents a different level of pressure for Refs, ARs and TMO's. So they want to give everyone the most opportunity to experience it as possible? That way in 4 years time they have the biggest pool of experienced refs they can create. At the same time they want the TO4 for the final to be focussed completely on that game for the week, so the AR for the final doesn't get involved in the 3/4 playoff.

On that basis I think 2 teams of 4 for the two games is a good idea, with the top 2 refs being Ref and AR1 for the final, and the next two ranked refs being Ref and AR1 for the 3/4 playoff.

So that means that Lacey must have been picked because... ummm... ok... I have no idea...

I don't think the 3rd/4th match would be a pressure game like a QF or SF. Its the only game at the RWC that neither side want to play.

Top four available referees and top available TMO get the final surely.

Lacey... oh my god.. :/
Why the worst ref of all the pannel is refing the 3rd place? :/

I wouldn't rank Lacey worst at this RWC. That honour would go to Clancy IMO.

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't think the 3rd/4th match would be a pressure game like a QF or SF. Its the only game at the RWC that neither side want to play.

Agreed, but it's also an opportunity to blood a ref in a game against two top nations that you wouldn't otherwise have. There are lots of different kinds of pressure, not just the pressure of the event. There is also the pressure of two top teams competing at a level and speed you don't see under many other circumstances. In this case, would you prefer to see Lacey doing ARGvSAF in the 3/4 playoff or a game in the Rugby Championship. I know which I'd prefer to see him start with. You don't often get opportunities to give refs that kind of experience, so why not take it? Otherwise, the only world cup experience the might get is a game like Georgia vs NZ, which is never going to produce the same level of game.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Christ World rugby is turning into FIFA. I have seen WRVS meeting with tighter information security than that shambles.