[RWC] Ref for the final

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Grant Fox [NZ selector] on NZ Radio this afternoon said that the ABs had been advised prior to the semi final that Nigel Owen has been confirmed as the ref for the final

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seems likely given that he didn't so a semi

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
They will release the news tomorrow

wayner

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
CJ is available since the Boks didn't make the final :drool:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So Owens for the final, and Garces for 3rd place, surely.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
CJ for third place. Just to show there aren't any hard feelings.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder why they bother with 3rd place playoff (apart from the gate, of course)

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
:wtf: was I thinking

Of course it can't be CJ for 3rd and 4th. Garces was good yesterday, but think they'll want to share it around. Can't see Barnes getting another game after his effort today.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Pepyer would be up for it but, again, he is South African.

Maybe Poite?

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Seems likely given that he didn't so a semi

I've never understood this. Every tournament I've ever been involved in has had the two top rated refs from the preliminary games do the semi-finals, with the best performer there getting the final and the other the AR1 spot (with the best performing AR from the semis getting the AR2 spot).

Obviously in a WC this isn't always possible due to countries being involved but I don't know why you would sit your supposed best ref out of the semis and give your number 3 a game? With a week between games it's not like injury is a realistic issue?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've never understood this. Every tournament I've ever been involved in has had the two top rated refs from the preliminary games do the semi-finals, with the best performer there getting the final and the other the AR1 spot (with the best performing AR from the semis getting the AR2 spot).

Obviously in a WC this isn't always possible due to countries being involved but I don't know why you would sit your supposed best ref out of the semis and give your number 3 a game? With a week between games it's not like injury is a realistic issue?

My thoughts exactly mate. Of all the sports I know enough about, union is the only one which does this. Some on here have argued that it gives others "experience", but considering the next World Cup isn't for another 4 years, a semi-final now is not going to mean anything by then.

The four teams deserved the best two referees (presumably Owens and Garces). If the 3rd best ref had a major f**k up, the whole system would look very, very stupid.

Even without a major cock up, it could be argued that Barnes' performance was not good enough for a World Cup semi, and there is little doubt that Owens would have been better.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder why they bother with 3rd place playoff (apart from the gate, of course)

Rankings!

RWC counts for double ranking points.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

That's what they did in 2011 - with the result that NO this year has a final, without the experience of a semi-final the tournament before
There are swings and roundabouts

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bronze Final is recently a development game, for an up and coming ref (in 2011 WB got it)

I think JP Doyle or Glen Jackson might get it

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bronze Final is recently a development game, for an up and coming ref (in 2011 WB got it)

Some would say that it obviously didn't help. ...maybe they should resort giving it to the fourth best
(Of course the best 3 on the GF)