[RWC] Tuilagi suspended for 5wks

Gracie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
From that clip it looks an amazingly harsh decision - he looks like he's just running hard and the Japanese player gets himself into an awkward position as Tuilagi makes a change in direction.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'm amazed too. Piss poor tackling technique is what caused the injury. Head the wrong side. If you put your head in front of a running player like that you are bound to get hurt by a pumping knee.

Are we sure that's the right clip???

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
What an unbelievable way to end a World Cup (and probably international) career. Can they appeal.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can't see videos on stuff, but here is it on youtube
https://youtu.be/7tZYtq9ac-0?t=470
(there's some replays a minute or two later at the end of the play)

it's poor tackle, but also you can see a knee being raised

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Phil E beat me to it.

I'll be generous and say Tuilangi's small step put the japanese player's head thw worng side - but that is what that is about.

didds

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
as the youff say OMG!!!! I bounced many a player using that technique! I'm sorry but that stinks!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
it's poor tackle, but also you can see a knee being raised

I don't know about you, but I can't run without raising my knees, and if I want to run faster, I raise them higher.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
OK, so I'm obviously going to be in the minority here even though I am surprised at the length of the ban, and say good on WR for taking firm action when a ball carrier raises the leading knee with the specific intention of making dangerous contact with the tackler. It is no different to a ball carrier, who is about to come into contact with a defender who is trying to wrap the ball up with a tackle or grasp and hold around the ball carriers upper torso, and the ball carrier cocks the elbow in a dangerous manner.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
with the specific intention of making dangerous contact with the tackler.

so nothing to do with poor technique then :shrug:

I have a scar over my right eye where I got my head on the wrong side in the tackle and took a knee to the head, was it the ball carriers fault, after all his knee was coming up "sharply", no of course it bloody wasn't! It was my own fault for putting my head there.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
a ball carrier raises the leading knee with the specific intention of making dangerous contact with the tackler.

You have absolutely no proof that this is what happened in this instance.

Yes he raises his knee, but to me it just looks like he was thinking about a sidestep. To say he did it with the express intention of making dangerous contact is pure speculation.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'd say he did it to get a step into the contact i.e. setting a wide base, manual 101 for going into contact! Tackler got it wrong :wow:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
You have absolutely no proof that this is what happened in this instance.

Yes he raises his knee, but to me it just looks like he was thinking about a sidestep. To say he did it with the express intention of making dangerous contact is pure speculation.

The highlighted bit must also be seen as speculation then.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I haven't seen the clip yet but any experienced runner will lift the tackle-side knee to keep that leg away from the tackler. The tackler has the responsibility of attempting a safe tackle.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I haven't seen the clip yet but any experienced runner will lift the tackle-side knee to keep that leg away from the tackler. The tackler has the responsibility of attempting a safe tackle.

Apparently not in this case!