SA Rugby. Is this assault?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
SA rugby has a worrying problem of referee abuse that has been documented through several cases over the last couple of seasons but does this latest incident amount to a premeditated assault of the referee?
One question that immediately came to mind when reading the following report was why didn't the AR, who heard a player offer money to the next player to tackle the referee, immediately identify and report the player to the referee?

http://www.sareferees.com/News/price-on-a-referees-head/2830235/

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If proven the players should face a serious ban.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If proven the players should face a serious life ban.

FTFY

Seriously, this is utterly unacceptable. If this does not get a life ban from the game for everyone involved, then the organising body is going to face serious problems with referee recruitment in future.

Its one thing to a strike referee in the heat of the moment, its quite another to do it with premeditation and by hiring someone to do it. Not sure what the law is in SA, but here it is conspiracy to commit assault, a serious criminal offence!

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't know how to feel about this one?

My first reaction was also a life ban, but then I think that it was only a stupid puerile 18yo that probably just said something stupid within the moment. Was he joking? Maybe he didn't think to realise the seriousness of what he said or if any of his teammates would believe him and follow through? I don't know? Regardless it should be a long ban....but just not sure life without knowing more facts.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It seems to be different tolerance level that gets a player merely YC for swearing AT the referee "3 times"...... not on my watch !

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
That just tippifies SA attitudes. Eben Etzebeth being a prim example.

- - - Updated - - -

That just tippifies SA attitudes. Eben Etzebeth being a prim example.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
"Will no one rid me of this troublesome Priest"

Not all words are said to be taken literally. I used the term serious, which a life ban certainly would be, to indicate that IF the offence IS proven then it is serious and the authorities must assess the actual facts and treat the matter seriously. Just as IF it is found that the official making the claims did it for his own reason he should be dealt with.

Until the full facts are established in the appropriate "courts". We must be careful with making judgements.

Safe to say IF a threat / request was made then that is a serious issue.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Burn them all

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am quite prepared to believe someone said '1000 rand if you tackle the referee', that's the sort of thing a kid could say - but obviously no 18 yr old would have expected to go to the cash point, get 1000 rand, and a 1000 rand to actually change hands. It's just an expression.

But it is a premeditated assualt on a referee, so very serious.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
How much is 1000 rand?
£1?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
About 55£
A$100

Still too much for a kid to flip out of his piggy bank

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not if daddy is rich!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
"Will no one rid me of this troublesome Priest"

Not all words are said to be taken literally. I used the term serious, which a life ban certainly would be, to indicate that IF the offence IS proven then it is serious and the authorities must assess the actual facts and treat the matter seriously. Just as IF it is found that the official making the claims did it for his own reason he should be dealt with.

Until the full facts are established in the appropriate "courts". We must be careful with making judgements.

Safe to say IF a threat / request was made then that is a serious issue.

that is SA & the courts have recently evidenced the ability to decide that 'Mr guilty' wasnt 'intending' .....'PegLeg' !

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
About 55£
A$100

Still too much for a kid to flip out of his piggy bank
Crikey - the U.19s in Aus are having a really tough time economically! A$100 for Call of Duty GHOST. Can we assume that none of these just-about-adult players could afford to buy games for their X-boxes, and head home (presumably by cycle rather than car or bike) after the game to read a good book?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
If the going rate was £55 I'd take the tackle for a 50 50 share.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Crikey - the U.19s in Aus are having a really tough time economically! A$100 for Call of Duty GHOST. Can we assume that none of these just-about-adult players could afford to buy games for their X-boxes, and head home (presumably by cycle rather than car or bike) after the game to read a good book?

It is...don't forget we have Tony 'gibbering idiot' Abbott running our island now....things have got a whole lot tougher. It's so bad 18 yo can't even afford to pay attention!

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I see your Tony Abbott and raise you out very own "blithering idiot" Whos in charge of a global financial city.